+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Curse of Mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    ramAnag Of course its a form of escapism if you go to the theatre cinema or a concert you know what you get But with Dcfc you never have a clue I did question my sanity though driving back from Crawley on filthy rainy night and out of the cup����
    Only coming back from Crawley, mista? I've regularly doubted my sanity just sitting in traffic leaving PP.
    Is there a word for escape from escapism?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Only coming back from Crawley, mista? I've regularly doubted my sanity just sitting in traffic leaving PP.
    Is there a word for escape from escapism?
    Crawley eh? Phwooarr! nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean?

I don't know about escape from escapism but I do know about escape from victory which Forest are famous for.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Every now and again a side like Leicester winning the league reminds us of just what is possible.

I listened to Mel Morris in the exec lounge after the game and in my opinion he wants it every bit as much as we do. Why wouldn't he? He is one of us but with incredible wealth.

In recent seasons however sides that have gone up have not done so on the back of spending millions, more so they have had the right blend and more importantly a spirit of togetherness.

Give Rowett time and I'm sure he will get the balance right. Wolves and Villa may yet prove that you can buy your way out but in my opinion the key is to get there in the fashion of Watford, Burnley, Huddersfield, Brighton or Bournemouth and then invest in the fashion of a Stoke or Southampton to consolidate the team as regular PL side.

Some of the money in football saddens me but the buzz I get from DCFC never goes away.

On a point of fact I believe Watford and Bournemouth spent heavily and Bournemouth at least supposedly face fines (like QPR were supposed to) if they return to the Championship due to breaking FFP rules.

I have to admit I am no longer as interested in the Rams as i used to be, i have found other more satisfying ways of occupying myself at weekends and rarely attend matches having given up my ST at the end of the last full Clough season, I was fed up with the turgid boring crap that was being served up.

I've been to odd games home and away since then, some good most bad and whilst Rowett may well"get it right" in time, my view is that we will be perennial underachievers for years to come.

I wasn't aware of the big spending by either of those and unless I set my mind to it can't think of a major signing either made in an effort to get out of the championship and certainly not on the scale we did when we brought in Johnson, Ince and Butterfield followed by Vydra and Anya.

Some of Bournemouths players had been with them since Division 3 and Watford hardly had a squad of household names.

I'm not arguing the point and you are probably right I just can't think of sizable investments by either in the seasons they went up.

Pessimistic last paragraph too Swale, is it the manopause?

I will do a bit of research, Watford if you remember went through 3 managers (around £10 million in compo there) and as well as some expensive signings loaned a number of Udineses's players (their owners are the same).

Bournemouth posted a loss of just over £38 million in their promotion season, as against a loss of £10.3 million the previous season, the additional loss mainly due to player wages, which suggests that they may not have paid big transfer fees, but signed players on free or low transfers but paid high wages - this is often overlooked - we did not pay a huge transfer fee for Huddlestone or Davies but their wages will have been significant, a free transfer can often be more expensive than a 5 or 6 million pound one when wages etc are factored in.

Google Bournemouth fined fined over FFP.
    With regards to Derby manx I'm a wee bit disillusioned, got underwhelmed in the Clough Jnr years, was bouyed up until cheating (financially) QPR got lucky in the play off final and then just more depressed at the circus the club has been since then.

I am happy to give Rowett time, but I'm not entirely sure he is a s good as he is made out to be and we are still up and down like a tarts undergarments. String 3 or 4 wins together and some good performances and I may become a believer again.

I'd not considered the wider financial impacts on both clubs just couldn't think of any player names off the top of my head.

I hope Rowett comes good, he's got a bit of Derby in his heart. Let's hope his managerial ability matches his desire.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    in time, my view is that we will be perennial underachievers for years to come.
    I dont think we are perennial underachievers, but rather we had a 5 to 10 year period of overachievement between 68 and 77 against which our subsequent performances continue to be measured. Outside this period we have largely operated at our normal level (ie top end second division, bottom end 1st.

Derby have no more of a divine right to be in the top flight than others like us - eg Florest, Leeds, Leicester, Blackburn all of whom have had moments of excellence amongst (as well as time in the 3rd tier) basically a mediocre performance history. I'd say we are operating at out traditional performance level right now, but aspire to overachieve - without much justification in the last 10 years!!

That's one of my bugbears rr! When fans, players, ex players etal say 'we need to get back where we belong'!! *******s, you belong where you are, full stop!! When Manure got relegated some years ago it was because they were crap!! As you say nobody has a divine right to be in the PL, not Man U, Man City, Liverpool or anybody!!
    Gets my goat!

A little bird told me I have a divine right to post here.

Trolol.

I'll get my hat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)