+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Curse of Mediocrity

Dabbo is right never lose faith in your club Did anyone think Huddersfield would get promoted they looked a decent team the season before but not promotion material I try and get to every away match and sometimes it leave's you in dispare but you still do it Its escapism I suppose from running a business But I have complete faith that Mel will get us there Yes we are not a good side yet but I think there will be more changes in Jan we must be patient

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Dabbo is right never lose faith in your club Did anyone think Huddersfield would get promoted they looked a decent team the season before but not promotion material I try and get to every away match and sometimes it leave's you in dispare but you still do it Its escapism I suppose from running a business But I have complete faith that Mel will get us there Yes we are not a good side yet but I think there will be more changes in Jan we must be patient
    Interesting that you think of it as 'escapism' mista. I'm not so sure.
    Going to the cinema, the theatre, a concert or even a long walk I can see as 'escapism', but when you have such an enormous emotional and financial investment in something then I'm not sure I agree.
    I'm nothing like as committed as you and yet when my team is doing badly it actually has an impact on me...or on my sense of well being at least. God only knows how you must feel on the way back from some of your treks...despair hardly covers it.
    If it is 'escapism' I'm not sure it's working...for most of the last decade I've needed an escape from the roller coaster that is supporting Derby County...it's called 'summer'.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 17-10-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Every now and again a side like Leicester winning the league reminds us of just what is possible.

I listened to Mel Morris in the exec lounge after the game and in my opinion he wants it every bit as much as we do. Why wouldn't he? He is one of us but with incredible wealth.

In recent seasons however sides that have gone up have not done so on the back of spending millions, more so they have had the right blend and more importantly a spirit of togetherness.

Give Rowett time and I'm sure he will get the balance right. Wolves and Villa may yet prove that you can buy your way out but in my opinion the key is to get there in the fashion of Watford, Burnley, Huddersfield, Brighton or Bournemouth and then invest in the fashion of a Stoke or Southampton to consolidate the team as regular PL side.

Some of the money in football saddens me but the buzz I get from DCFC never goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Every now and again a side like Leicester winning the league reminds us of just what is possible.

I listened to Mel Morris in the exec lounge after the game and in my opinion he wants it every bit as much as we do. Why wouldn't he? He is one of us but with incredible wealth.

In recent seasons however sides that have gone up have not done so on the back of spending millions, more so they have had the right blend and more importantly a spirit of togetherness.

Give Rowett time and I'm sure he will get the balance right. Wolves and Villa may yet prove that you can buy your way out but in my opinion the key is to get there in the fashion of Watford, Burnley, Huddersfield, Brighton or Bournemouth and then invest in the fashion of a Stoke or Southampton to consolidate the team as regular PL side.

Some of the money in football saddens me but the buzz I get from DCFC never goes away.
    Good to see a sensible well debated football topic on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    So you wouldn't settle for midtable in the Prem then Romanis? Leicester's achievement aside isn't that the best most outside the top six clubs can hope for? That and maybe a little flirt with Europe or a cup run. Pretty sure Stoke fans have been a happier bunch than either of us over the last decade or so.
    The answer is obvious. Being an also ran in the Prem is a whole world of difference to the Championship.
    You get glamour games, every match is live and watched by millions and you attract the best or good players.

Who wouldn't want to be an Everton or for many years a Villa like team, stuck in the Prem?
    In fact I'd say being in the 3rd tier is better, because you'd expect promotion or playoffs, and getting to Tier 2 from 3 is much easier than 2 to 1. So there'll be a buzz.

Of course I'm not giving up on my club, but after years of mediocrity, false promises and the same pathetic displays - seriously, our defense have been nothing short of a joke for the past 20 years.

3 players going after 1 attacker leaving the other attacker free, constant back-pedalling, poor positioning, reckless and so on. You name it, they've done it and done it consistently.

Support will always be there, but the level of interest given the above, makes the need to prioritise them far lesser. I think this is what's termed - long suffering fans.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCharlieGeorge View Post
    Good to see a sensible well debated football topic on this forum!

I plead guilty to this charge, m'lud.

Lolz.

That buzz. It can affect you in strange ways. I flew over the Sunday's game and was sat next to a mate of mine from Stockport. 24 seconds in, Vydra hit the old onion bag. Me and my lad, who was sat the other side of Stockers, were up and jumping about like whirling dervishes. Stockers just stood up, mouth gaping, eyes bulging as if they were on foot and a half long sticks.......... he is not naturally quiet and he cannot remember the ast time he was speechless. I just wish I had had the foresight to whip my phone out and take the picture that told a thousand words.

As for which League one would rather be in, as fans, we would love to be Champions again. To do that, you have to be in it to win it. Go up, maybe a yoyo or two and then consolidate and slowly finish higher and higher....... It can only happen IF we get to the PL in the first place.

KCG " good to see a well debated football topic". Now I wonder who hasn't posted on this topic

ramAnag Of course its a form of escapism if you go to the theatre cinema or a concert you know what you get But with Dcfc you never have a clue I did question my sanity though driving back from Crawley on filthy rainy night and out of the cup😊😊

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    ramAnag Of course its a form of escapism if you go to the theatre cinema or a concert you know what you get But with Dcfc you never have a clue I did question my sanity though driving back from Crawley on filthy rainy night and out of the cup����
    Ah now I didn't have that problem Mista as I live less than 10 miles from Crawley

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)