+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Curse of Mediocrity

The Curse of Mediocrity

Well I've been a fan of Forest for 37 years officially. Maybe 40 if you add the kiddie years.
    Of course I started at the top. Forest were Kings of Europe. Clough was the closest thing to God.
    And of course, as I grew older I knew those halcyon days won't last given our history and size.
    So in that sense I'm satisfied as a fan.
    Still there were several years of top flight football and pleasing football.
    Even after Clough, things were a bit interesting, the highs and lows. Dropping to the 3rd tier didn't dull my interest.

However I suppose as you get older, other things become more important and football despite Shanks great phrase, no longer applies as it once did.

Forest if they were involved in a meaningful challenge for promotion would at least spice things up.

But year in year out as also rans and 1 step forward 2 steps back, eventually it gets to you.

Managers and players promising 1 thing but delivering another typical mediocre result.

Frankly I'm reaching a stage where I'm no longer excited to watch games and be updated about the things that happen in the club.

It's the curse of mediocrity.
    I am curious if some of you are experiencing it?

[QUOTE=Romanis;38680208]Well I've been a fan of Forest for 37 years officially. Maybe 40 if you add the kiddie years.
    Of course I started at the top. Forest were Kings of Europe. Clough was the closest thing to God.
    And of course, as I grew older I knew those halcyon days won't last given our history and size.
    So in that sense I'm satisfied as a fan.
    Still there were several years of top flight football and pleasing football.
    Even after Clough, things were a bit interesting, the highs and lows. Dropping to the 3rd tier didn't dull my interest.

However I suppose as you get older, other things become more important and football despite Shanks great phrase, no longer applies as it once did.

Forest if they were involved in a meaningful challenge for promotion would at least spice things up.

But year in year out as also rans and 1 step forward 2 steps back, eventually it gets to you.

Managers and players promising 1 thing but delivering another typical mediocre result.

Frankly I'm reaching a stage where I'm no longer excited to watch games and be updated about the things that happen in the club.

It's the curse of mediocrity.
    I am curious if some of you are experiencing it?[/QUOTe

I know exactly where your coming from

I think that there's now an acceptance with me that Derby will never regain any dominant power in English football

When Derby lose their best players to the likes of Huddersfield Watford and Burnley ,it hits home.

There was a time when players would choose Derby over so called smaller clubs even if they were playing at a higher level.

Yes Eddy that's correct. Now if you unearth a gem, holding on to him for a season is considered a miracle.

Bamford is 1 example.

Never.

My head accepts that I'll never see the ultimate glory days ahead and I don't even approach the start of a season with a lot of hope, but on a match by match level I still have the buzz, in fact over the last five years its increased. There is NO feeling like the feeling I get when the ball hits the net for a Derby goal, I was fit to explode when Vydra scored on Sunday and I wasn't even at the match.

I'm with you there Andy. Being there Sunday made me realise how much I miss actually going to the games. I don't think my little boy has ever seen me jump up like I did in that first minute.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    I'm with you there Andy. Being there Sunday made me realise how much I miss actually going to the games. I don't think my little boy has ever seen me jump up like I did in that first minute.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Exactly
    It's all relative though eddy. Burnley and Huddersfield (not Watford admittedly) have histories at least as glamorous as ours...just from slightly longer ago.
    No matter the level though...very little beats that roar of raw emotion when the ball hits the net, when it really matters, as it did twice on Sunday and although I doubt we'll ever win the title again I do think we have the potential to be up with the West Broms, Southamptons and Stokes of this world.

Yes. There is always the buzz when we win and score. But defeats, false hopes and the same typical stuff on and off the pitch, all these do add up.

The killer is not being in a scrap at either end of the table, the killer is midtable mediocrity

Never lose faith in you,re club, If Leicester can be champions of England (and did it playing decent football) I am sure the Rams can rise again. Dont know about Forest though LOL
    i

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Yes. There is always the buzz when we win and score. But defeats, false hopes and the same typical stuff on and off the pitch, all these do add up.

The killer is not being in a scrap at either end of the table, the killer is midtable mediocrity
    So you wouldn't settle for midtable in the Prem then Romanis? Leicester's achievement aside isn't that the best most outside the top six clubs can hope for? That and maybe a little flirt with Europe or a cup run. Pretty sure Stoke fans have been a happier bunch than either of us over the last decade or so.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)