+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    A little stereotypical jules I had you down as having a little more oil in your lamp , goose stepping in the living room with a copy of the daily mail under your arm is more yorkshireborn territory .

The country can't look after itself without a certain amount of immigration , there's a staff crisis already developing in the NHS for starters , it would completely collapse tomorrow without immigration .

I stop short of letting every tomas , mario and josef into the country and recruited to perform the race to the bottom jobs which flood the market with cheap labour and drive down wages but we need skills because we just don't have em mate .

We've always had the opportunity to control immigration even within the EU but Blair decided to open the doors completely despite advise to the contrary and we have today what we have .

The problem with this country is that we've become a low skilled , low wage state and that is what we need to change .

The German's manufacture great products that they export , we don't make shyte anymore and now the chickens are coming home to roost and what's more we don't have enough skilled workers to even begin to turn that around to compensate trading outside of the single market .

Whilst nobody will starve to death and neither will the country go into complete meltdown life outside of the EU is going to be bloody difficult for ordinary people like us , prices will rise and to compensate inflation the interest rates will have to go up and then mortgages go unpaid , throw job losses into the mix and before too long you are in recession land .

It could be grim until the country starts to make things that country's want to buy off us or provide services that can be transferred to the global market .

The best of two evils and remaining in the single market Norway style maybe the smart move eventually , I can see it coming but only a Labour government will deliver that and that's not guaranteed by any means .
    Agree with most of what you say there, especially the “Low skilled and low waged”

We are too good at teaching foreign students in our engineering Universities. The superb skills our aging Lecturers and talented young minds have are being used to educate Chinese and Asian students and not our own. It’s profitable for the Uni’s to do this. University graduates from this country are more likely to end up working in Aldi as managers rather than that which they trained in.
    Cummings engineering in Huddersfield ( formerly Holsetts) are training foreign students en Mass and I see the students walking away from Kirklees College of Enhineering every day, and there doesn’t seem to be many “locals” walking away when school closes.
    Is it because we haven’t the skills, or our kids don’t want to work in the industries we need.? Or is it that the talented kids in our country are being stifled by higher exam results from kids abroad? Bit like the state of English football........

Now you know I don't normally contribute to Political posts as a rule......so be gentle. !

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    If we sogn up to have a deal the same as Norway’s we may as well stay in the EU
    This is why what ever we do we are fecked some way along the line with many people unhappy and the divisions within the country growing ever wider .

We've allowed ourselves to get ever deeper into this EU game and gone along with it and got in that deep it's fecked us over so much we can't leave without consequences .

I take your point about Norway ESR and yes they do have to accept the 4 freedoms to access the single market for a yearly payment but they do retain their identity and aren't dictated to in quite the same way as full EU membership .

It's an impossible situstion .

The short version of my reply is that you're bang on the money jules. The universities and higher education in general benefit financially from having overseas students thus reducing the number of places. Do you honestly think that if university places were given fairly that we wouldn't boost the number of English doctors, nurses, engineers etc. My wife's witnessed this directly.
    The last time I enrolled at college, There were places ringfenced for non nationals whilst the rest of us queued up from 6 for a half 8 enrolment on a first come first served. One of these lads was Iraqi who got a taxi paid both ways from Doncaster and an interpreter paid from door to door. Meanwhile someone from gawber who I know, dipped from getting on. Now a bloke with a goats head can see that's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Agree with most of what you say there, especially the “Low skilled and low waged”

We are too good at teaching foreign students in our engineering Universities. The superb skills our aging Lecturers and talented young minds have are being used to educate Chinese and Asian students and not our own. It’s profitable for the Uni’s to do this. University graduates from this country are more likely to end up working in Aldi as managers rather than that which they trained in.
    Cummings engineering in Huddersfield ( formerly Holsetts) are training foreign students en Mass and I see the students walking away from Kirklees College of Enhineering every day, and there doesn’t seem to be many “locals” walking away when school closes.
    Is it because we haven’t the skills, or our kids don’t want to work in the industries we need.? Or is it that the talented kids in our country are being stifled by higher exam results from kids abroad? Bit like the state of English football........

Now you know I don't normally contribute to Political posts as a rule......so be gentle. !

I know you mentioned the company in Huddersfield jules but how many engineering companies do we have today in the UK that support all these university courses ?

The foreign students learn here and then take those skills back home where the work is I'm guessing .

We need more quality blue collar industries , why can't we make quality products like the germans do and export them ?

Instead of relying on the EU we need to change the game and have them relying on us , this is why they can play hard ball at the negotiating table because we aren't that big a loss if the truth be told other than the money we put in and they won't miss that too much either as time goes on .

It's all well and good having technical colleges everywhere folks. However, the class room doesn't do the business. You need hands on skills. I got two A - Levels in engineering. However, it didn't help me at all when I started my HNC in the work place. Even though they send you to college on day release. Companies still expect you to have the skills to help out on every day jobs with the seasoned pro's (fitters).

They're paying you a wage and can sometimes expect too much. I ended up dropping out because I was too young at the time. Once the money started coming in. Other interests started to develop and I didn't want to work saturday mornings because I didn't have a car and a mortgage. The fitters stopped taking me to jobs and I ended up in the pub when I should have been at Whitwood.

If I was offered the opportunity again now. It would no doubt be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I think the cabinet (including the prime minister) should have been made up of ministers that were all for Brexit and not all of them were. That doesn't help for a start in my book.

As have May, David Cameron might as well have carried on. However, Cameron didn't want to be a hypocrite. Strange world politics.
    The tories don't know how to negotiate Mr C , 300 years of my way or highway see's to that .

The born to rule over us and looking down on everyone else doesn't lend itself to negotiating skills and they went into the negotiating room at the EU with the same attitude .

These feckers serve themselves and the rest of us should be grateful for the crumbs they allow us .

In my view, the 27 other EU countries are generally uninterested in our "brexit means brexit" - what's in it for them? We were told that we contribute more than we receive in grants but remember, who told us this!? Boris the buffoon? Gove the traitor? Fox the ... Well, sly fox? Davies the smirky Gorm? Farage, the man of the people (no, sorry, the smug merchant banker)?
    We will lose out financially - Wales is already bleating that they shouldn't lose a penny of their EU subsidies despite, as a country, voting to leave - NI & Scotland voted to remain but are having to leave - the will of the people was 52% of those who voted! We have forgotten that Fatage said, on the eve of the referendum, that such a close vote would be insufficient to "remain" ( he thought it would swing this way) - as a footnote, due to Tory laws, unions who vote for industrial action need much more that 52% - just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by anstonred View Post
    In my view, the 27 other EU countries are generally uninterested in our "brexit means brexit" - what's in it for them? We were told that we contribute more than we receive in grants but remember, who told us this!? Boris the buffoon? Gove the traitor? Fox the ... Well, sly fox? Davies the smirky Gorm? Farage, the man of the people (no, sorry, the smug merchant banker)?
    We will lose out financially - Wales is already bleating that they shouldn't lose a penny of their EU subsidies despite, as a country, voting to leave - NI & Scotland voted to remain but are having to leave - the will of the people was 52% of those who voted! We have forgotten that Fatage said, on the eve of the referendum, that such a close vote would be insufficient to "remain" ( he thought it would swing this way) - as a footnote, due to Tory laws, unions who vote for industrial action need much more that 52% - just saying!
    we've always contributed more than we get in return.

Correct we are one of the few net contributors
    We are still members of the EU so I don't understand why Junckers & co are exclusively in the know re finances & accounts
    We should have just as much right to be privy to the info & not be on the outside [yet] so to speak

If the Maybot doesn't secure a deal with the EU and walks away we will be forced to trade under WTO rules , here are a few examples of the tariffs that are imposed on imported products .

Cheese 45%
    Meat 37%
    Clothes & Footwear 10%
    Cars 10%

Inflation is running @ 3% and wages are squeezed down to 2006 levels .

This isnt scaremongering because we are close to walking away without a deal if the reports in the media are accurate .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast