+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We should be planning for the future

We should be planning for the future

It may be the case that a lot are getting carried away with what appears to be a good season so far which is understandable.

How many have thought about the age of the team and the future? All the talk of promotion is for me a major worry as the current side would not be able to hold their own if we somehow went up.

Look at the age group. Potter, Frecklington, Wood, Mattock to name but four players. All in their twilight years as players and all very well prone to injuries. Moore and Towell to have left by the end of the season unless TS pulls out his wallet and spends an extortionate amount for them which is highly unlikely to happen.

Remove that lot from the side and what are you left with? Not a lot at all. I personally do not think we are anywhere near ready for promotion this season. After last years debacle it IS great to see us winning and to see the fans enjoying the ride but we are simply not ready for going up.

A big injection of cash is required to recruit quality players come the end of the season.
    I'm no party pooper but I'm looking at the total picture objectively.

Focus on recruitment Tony.
    Last edited by Brin; 17-10-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Brin

Not totally disagreeing with you some valid points made.
    Just one question how many teams in league 1 are financially and quality wise ready for the championship?

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    Brin

Not totally disagreeing with you some valid points made.
    Just one question how many teams in league 1 are financially and quality wise ready for the championship?
    Not really concerned about the rest of the teams in league 1 Yak,but i have to agree with a lot of what Brin is saying.
    Maybe TS will up the budget considerably if we were to get promoted,after all i am sure he along with the rest of the Millers supporters could not stomach another season,like we had to endure last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    It may be the case that a lot are getting carried away with what appears to be a good season so far which is understandable.

How many have thought about the age of the team and the future? All the talk of promotion is for me a major worry as the current side would not be able to hold their own if we somehow went up.

Look at the age group. Potter, Frecklington, Wood, Mattock to name but four players. All in their twilight years as players and all very well prone to injuries. Moore and Towell to have left by the end of the season unless TS pulls out his wallet and spends an extortionate amount for them which is highly unlikely to happen.

Remove that lot from the side and what are you left with? Not a lot at all. I personally do not think we are anywhere near ready for promotion this season. After last years debacle it IS great to see us winning and to see the fans enjoying the ride but we are simply not ready for going up.

A big injection of cash is required to recruit quality players come the end of the season.
    I'm no party pooper but I'm looking at the total picture objectively.

Focus on recruitment Tony.

tbh brin 2 of the 4 old men you mentioned were prob not good enough 5 year ago for the championship. the way potter plays he will be good enough, even at 33 though maybe only for 1 season. frecks gives you 20 games a season

regards the loan players..
    ive heard that towell is not wanted at brighton so come may a bid may well get him, if he wants to be here.
    moore will sell for over a million in may, will PW/TS think hes value at that price?
    rodak. strange one. fulham have loaned in a 20 year old keeper after letting rodak come here. do they not fancy him? tbh i would buy him now if the option at 500k was there....
    emmanuell. ipswich have plans for this lad.. dont be surprised if he go back in january

regards the rest of the team.
    players i think can do a job in the championship,
    cummings
    ajayi
    ihiekwe,
    williams,
    newell
    ball.
    taylor.

players who are not good enough for championship
    odonell
    proctor
    yates
    jch
    vaulks
    forde

unknown players who could be good enough
    purrington
    wiles
    bray
    onariase

plus the youth
    bailey king
    muskwe
    kayodes
    warren
    Francis
    murr

if PW can add (sign not loan) to the squad in january 2 players of the same ability as hes managed pre season plus 3/4 more in may then we will have a better chance than the past 3 seasons in the championship.
    think we can forget moore signing for us unless he wants too. we could afford him but the wage demand will be the problem.
    imo signing rodak and towell would be better way of spending 1 million...
    Last edited by caytonmiller; 17-10-2017 at 10:13 AM.

i guess what im say is
    if we had a squad of
    rodak.
    cummings
    ihiekwe
    ajayi
    purrngton
    manny
    potter
    frecks
    taylor
    williams
    newell
    ball
    towell
    wiles
    bray.
    proctor.
    vaulks forde and odonell are contracted till 2019 so will inc them

we only need to add
    1x LB
    1X RB
    a couple of strikers over the next two windows to have a competent team.

plus the youth
    bailey king
    muskwe
    kayodes
    warren
    Francis
    murr
    Last edited by caytonmiller; 17-10-2017 at 10:23 AM.

What were the reasons that we did well in the 50s to mid-60s and stabilised at level 2? Good managers were part of it, but also a good scouting system that enabled us to sign talented young players, without having to pay big fees, and also developing our own reserve and junior team players. Last season Tony Stewart did belatedly try to improve the scouting system, but too late in the day to save us. Not entirely convinced that the improvments made re scouting are good enough yet in Championship terms, but recent player recruitment suggests that we are thinking along the right lines. If we get back into the Championship there will be more players wanting to come to the NYS at youth level and for the first team, so I still hope that we can get promotion, but that we have a good scouting system in place by then.

Don't be trying to muscle in on our action you millers .

We are the club of choice for young talented players in South Yorkshire and it's staying that way .

Thanks .

:-) :-) :-)

Some decent points made by all on here, except our friendly tyke, of course...

Brin, leave Frecks alone.....

To be truthful there's no easy answer in this day and age, a decent scouting and academy system would help, but is some way off, smarter recruitment will defo help in the short term, i think we're seeing the shoots of that system coming up right now. Let's face it, unless a multi billionaire comes in then we're always going to be the small fish, but even small fish can have an impact given the right model, and that's what we have to do, regardless of who the manager is, we have to have a sysyem that gives continuity, i quite admire Brentford for this method, i'm sure there's a name for it, but Brentford seem to have hit the right balance for me, and that's the way we should be aiming.

Would i take promotion this year? too right i would, i'm also enjoyling this season immensely, and know we'd struggle if we did go up, but that for me is what football is all about, trying to win every game, trying to gain promotion, if not that, then might as well pack it in. I sometimes watch premier league games and watch teams like West Brom, Everton etc etc teams who aint gunna win it, and imagine what their fans get out of knowing, year in year out, that they're gunna win fack all....must be boring eh?

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Some decent points made by all on here, except our friendly tyke, of course...

Brin, leave Frecks alone.....

To be truthful there's no easy answer in this day and age, a decent scouting and academy system would help, but is some way off, smarter recruitment will defo help in the short term, i think we're seeing the shoots of that system coming up right now. Let's face it, unless a multi billionaire comes in then we're always going to be the small fish, but even small fish can have an impact given the right model, and that's what we have to do, regardless of who the manager is, we have to have a sysyem that gives continuity, i quite admire Brentford for this method, i'm sure there's a name for it, but Brentford seem to have hit the right balance for me, and that's the way we should be aiming.

Would i take promotion this year? too right i would, i'm also enjoyling this season immensely, and know we'd struggle if we did go up, but that for me is what football is all about, trying to win every game, trying to gain promotion, if not that, then might as well pack it in. I sometimes watch premier league games and watch teams like West Brom, Everton etc etc teams who aint gunna win it, and imagine what their fans get out of knowing, year in year out, that they're gunna win fack all....must be boring eh?
    Excellent post that says it all really.

what would the point be if we didn't play to try and win games and go up?

I'm sure we will be prepared for it this time (bloody hope so)

Academy might not be great but they are /have changed things and doing their best, Hammy is the in between man for academy and senior and we have already got a few around the senior squad.

I noticed Wiles was at the game waiting to do the warm up/down at end of game on Saturday
    Last edited by millertop; 17-10-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast