+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Notts Co

Notts Co

Either 0-5 again or a sneaky 1-0

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Either 0-5 again or a sneaky 1-0
    Or a well deserved 2-0?

I should have been bold and gone for the 2-0 win. A low crowd (boosted by away support) + playing the league leaders- all the omens were there.
    To be honest, we were good but not fantastic. It was a hard won win. They hardly had a shot. Raynes's was immense. Nolan had another effective game, despite being whacked by a challenge that would have been a red card in the PL.
    Lowery and Grant worked very well together, the former replaced by a robust in the tackle Walker. Porter had a much better game and upset their defence. Bowery generally looked lost and could not make the right moves - that is until scored a fine goal from an exquisite George pass. He managed to wrap his foot around a high bouncing ball and managed to keep it down. Textbook technique. A good time had by all!
    Ah well, bring on Accrington.

Bowery was outstanding tonight in my opinion. Worked tirelessly and was rewarded with a well earned goal.

Have to disagree with gazan on two points. First on Bowery who worked his socks off and caused County`s defence no end of bother, plus a superb run to take the goal.

Second point that Lowery and Grant worked well together. IMO Lowery is a loose cannon who works with no player. Most disruptive. We only saw how a midfield pair should work when Walker replaced Lowery on the hour. Grant and Walker played as central midfield players should. They protected our defence solidly. They efficiently supported the forwards at every opportunity. The attack for the second goal was started by Walker. We were a far better balanced side when Lowery went off.

I really hope that the team continues with Grant and Walker in central midfield

Can't agree about Lowery. He is always looking for the ball and has great distribution. What he lacks is the ability to drive forward with the ball - something Walker really can do. I'm beginning to see that Lowery is a 'marmite' player like Kenny used to be (NO, I'm not saying he plays like Kenny!)
    As for Bowery, I didn't say he didn't work hard - he always does. However, he didn't ever seem to be in the right place for Porter's knock-ons/flick-ons. The fact that his movement for George's pass was spot on may say something about his strengths, so yes let's keep the ball down!

I guess you could also argue that Porter didn’t aim this knock downs and flick ins in Bowery’s direction! Only the second time they started together as a Front 2 so hopefully they’ll get to read each other’s game better as they pair up for longer. I agreed with Artell’s press conference this morning that praised both players for their work when we didn’t have the ball. Porter worked harder than I’d seen before and Bowery was more than his equal.

The only worry is that, with Dagnall injured, we had no forward on the bench.