+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Climate Change

Climate Change

Climate change is it real.

Of course it's bloody real the climate has been changing for centuries. But don't give me this crap that we are heating up the world, and polar regions are going to melt, and we are all going to have to live in the mountains.

I'm over all this global warming crap. We've only been keeping stats for the past what 70 years??? (no idea exactly)
    So to quote Brodie "the 50 year storm at Bells" floods, fires, droughts etc come and go. Yes they seem to getting worse, but I reckon that's because we have the media commenting on every time somebody farts.
    1974 here in Qld still has our greatest records of flood waters, the same year we had the devastation of Cyclone Tracy, that was 43 years ago.

Now don't give me this bullship answer that we are 75000 thousand years old, and we can tell from a rock that the temperature on the first of June back then was a balmy 33. The fact is, accurate stats had only started in the 1900's

All these so called experts are giving educated guess. Which always seem to be corrected every couple of years.

Now before you dig your heals in a have a crack at me about saving the world. I'm all for being smarter and wiser moving forward that's just common sense, look after what you have (same goes for your body, assets etc, you abuse them you will pay for it) but don't blame it on Climate change. What a load of Crap.

We once thought the world was round.

Not ignoring you, bro. I will reply. Sis x

I wish I hadn't have nosed in here now. Is that really what you think? Wish I had the time to crack your megre offerings but I'm sure Winnie will pass on some useful info.

Sorry bro. I'm having a few laptop issues which are making it hard to post so I'll have to be brief.

Now. You know I love to disagree with you. So. I will.

My scientific knowledge is about as sophisticated as my footy tactical knowledge i.e. simple and I know Mr Smartpants would be able to provide you with a far deeper and more insightful explanation of his view, but as he's busy, you'll have to make do with your simple sis.

Now, I might be a bit of a scientific simpleton, but 97% of climate scientists broadly agree that it is extremely likely that significant amount of global warming over the past 100 years or so has been caused by humans. It makes sense. Hundreds and thousands of years ago, we weren't pumping out 110 million tonnes of heat trapping global warming pollution every day. We weren't engaging in mass deforestation, destroying the trees that help our planet breathe, absorbing Co2 and thus providing some balance.

93% of this heat is trapped in the ocean and evaporating water has pushed the air humidity up by 4%, thus providing perfect storm conditions. Yes, there have always been storms, floods, etc, but just a coincidence?

The nature of the beast means the scientists can never be 100% certain, for sure. We would need a 2nd control earth minus humans for that, but there's far more to it than looking at a few old rocks - tree rings, sediment, air bubbles in ice all provide valuable clues to years gone by.

I also wonder what possible motivation the climate scientists would have for pushing their theories? Why would they willingly subject themselves to the abuse that many climate scientists experience? They would likely earn far more money being sponsored by the big fossil giants. Hmm strange that those scientists' research is a little more sceptical? Coincidence that the big fossil companies have engaged in a similar campaign of doubt that the tobacco industries engaged in to try and discredit the correlation between smoking and lung cancer?

It's not just a little one off 'rogue' study, but lots of scientists, approaching the issue in many different ways.

I wonder if 97% of car mechanics told us that our car brakes would likely fail if we took our car out on the road, then we would risk placing our children, our grand children, nieces and nephews etc in the back seat? Yet we choose to risk their futures by ignoring the advice of the majority of experts in the field

If they are wrong. What is the worst that could happen? We would have cleaner air, cheaper bills as more of our energy is switched too the renewables, new jobs for people working in that industry We would have forests to enjoy and a home for the wonderful wildlife that lives there.

Hmm thinking about it, the fossil fuel magnates might not be able to buy multi million pound yachts any more.

Oh dear.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)