+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carlisle striker charged with successful deception of ref....

One question on this:: If a player successfully 'deceives' the referee, then who is it actually 'accuses' or reports that player of 'successful deception" - is it the fourth official, lines man or could the opposing team manager or player report it to the FA? . Just curious because this could cause havoc if used misused to get players banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Miller made an unsuccessful appeal, so will not face us tomorrow:

"Carlisle United’s Shaun Miller will serve a two-match suspension with immediate effect after his denial of an FA charge of ‘Successful Deception of a Match Official’ was rejected. It was alleged his behaviour in the 35th minute of the game against Wycombe Wanderers on 17 October 2017, in committing a clear act of simulation which led to a penalty being awarded, amounted to improper conduct. He denied the charge, however, it was found proven following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today [Friday 20 October 2017]."
    Not good enough. It hasn't hurt Carlisle at all, apart from them now having to play a different striker, it almost makes diving worth trying. They should have had their one point (for a draw) deducted and all three points given to Wycombe.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Not good enough. It hasn't hurt Carlisle at all, apart from them now having to play a different striker, it almost makes diving worth trying. They should have had their one point (for a draw) deducted and all three points given to Wycombe.
    Although I agree. From a Notts perspective we have a double bubble of Wycombe not closing the gap to much and now Carlisle are without a first choice player. Perfect system 🤥

I couldn't disagree more. The retrospective changing of results and points is very dodgy ground and should be avoided at all costs.

I think we can and should keep going back to events such as this, I don't see it as a problem and it could end with clubs stopping their players from cheating. I, for one, do not like to see blatant diving from a Notts player and how could we feel robbed if he was found guilty of it and we have seen it? Clubs such as Leeds United and Man. City were doing it all the time forty years ago, if the laws about "simulation" had been alive then, those clubs would not been half as successful as they became.

It was Lee Dixon (I think) who, a few years ago, said there was no need to need to book a "diver", the ref should just ignore it and it would soon stop! Of course, with the player and club having nothing to lose, it carried on. It's got worse.

Retrospective punishments should reflect how much a team has gained from their player cheating the laws and spirit of the game. If a team has won a game and gained three points by cheating then they should have six points deducted and the player AND the manager fined and/or suspended with three points given to the other team.
    I'm all for stopping players cheating, but I'm not for going back and changing results and scores. I just think it makes the competition messy because what offence would it be next? Scoring a goal from being offside that a linesman has not picked up on and retrospectively being ruled out and points changed? What about a player that retrospectively should have had a red card instead of yellow? The list is endless. The game would be sanitised, there would be no controversy, no talking points, and we would leave grounds thinking we'd won to later find out by a panel we have lost, or vice versa.

It's the culture of diving and any other cheating (glossed up as gamesmanship) that needs to be stopped and eradicated in football. I'd sooner individual players be punished with a ban and as you say managers be fined.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I'm all for stopping players cheating, but I'm not for going back and changing results and scores. I just think it makes the competition messy because what offence would it be next? Scoring a goal from being offside that a linesman has not picked up on and retrospectively being ruled out and points changed? What about a player that retrospectively should have had a red card instead of yellow? The list is endless. The game would be sanitised, there would be no controversy, no talking points, and we would leave grounds thinking we'd won to later find out by a panel we have lost, or vice versa.

It's the culture of diving and any other cheating (glossed up as gamesmanship) that needs to be stopped and eradicated in football. I'd sooner individual players be punished with a ban and as you say managers be fined.
    Is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

As you say in your second paragraph "It's the culture of diving...that needs to be stopped..." and that is what I was talking about, not errors made by officials like the examples you give in your first, these usually balance themselves out during the ninety minutes and it's these points, amongst others, that should provide the talking points not how someone conned the ref.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123