+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky

Sky

Had a discussion at work the other day about Sky and thought I'd put it on here to get everyones viewpoint.

The argument was whether Sky have or haven't 'ruined' or 'killed' the game.

One guy was saying he didn't want to travel to West Ham on a Friday night (he's a Brighton fan) and that 3pm Saturday kick off tradition was being ruined. Another one, ironically a West Ham fan, was saying Sky have enhanced the game no end since they came into it.

There were only 6-7 of us, but seemed the older generation were the ones not happy with Sky and the younger who thought they have improved it.

My opinion is they have enhanced the game, given the Prem loads of exposure. Split the revenues fairly between the clubs, we now have the best players in the world in our league and arguably the best league in the world. Pre 1992 we had trouble at games and a poorer standard of football (in my opinion).

Millions around the world now watch us and we are recognised globally.

What are your thoughts?

In my humble opinion Sky is ruining our game. It panders to the armchair fan at the expense of the real fans who travel up and down the country following their team. Kick off dates and times are changed making it really difficult for fans. At the start of the season they should state which games are being televised, and the times, and this should be stuck to. Match dates should not be altered once the season has started.

I don't get this 'global' thing either. Why should I be bothered about fans in China or anywhere else for that matter. They're British teams and matches are attended by British fans even though they are full of foreign players.

The vast amounts of money is another issue. We've now got the so called 'big clubs' stating that viewers only want to watch them so they should get a bigger share of the money. What utter rubbish! I don't want to watch City, United, Chelsea etc. week in, week out, I want to watch all twenty clubs. To be honest the money should be distributed to all divisions not just the elite of the Premier League. Football shouldn't be run for the few but for the many.

I firmly believe that the 'bubble' will eventually burst. Don't get me wrong, there are many new facets of the game that have improved it immensely but I don't believe that Sky, in its present format, is one of them.

With the astronomical sums of money pouring into the game because of SKY its allowed extraordinary transfer fees. Clubs can pay upwards of 10 to 15 million on a player and then shove him in the reserves and its not even considered a waste of money because its easy come, easy go when the SKY money is about. Its also allowed those wide boy parasites called football agents who contribute absolutely jack to the game pocket a massive cut on the backs of these inflated transfers.

SKY money great for the clubs but the fans don't get that much of a return. Huge fees to watch SKY, clubs still charge huge amounts for merchandise and entrance fees and also charging £2.60 for a cup of tea!!

Absolutely endorse Phild and Leicester's comments, and I'm surprised in 123's views.
    I'd much much rather have Saturday 3pm games, and I've suffered inferior football with 100% British players long enough. It doesn't matter so long as they all give their all.
    There was a big drive 20 years or so for fans nationally to unite in not subscribing to Murdoch. I hate the fact that all that money is going towards paying "the elite Clubs" multi-millions to pay £10m pa salaries to these w*nkers + their Agents. The standard of football is obviously better (except for WBA) but the England Football team is suffering as a result.

Ruining it for me as well. Even though I've become an armchair fan!
    Far too much money in the game with ridiculous transfer fees and ridiculous wages. Much better when top flight clubs scoured the lower leagues to pick up gems rather than bringing in overseas players. Kaye, Astle, Clark,Osborne all came from lower leagues as did Ronnie Allen and many more. Wouldn't happen now.
    The TV has decided what is a foul and what isn't. It used to be that it wasn't a foul if there was no intent, now the slightest touch can see free kicks awarded.
    I barely follow the game now, only watch Albion and sometimes MOTD, and I'll record that and fast forward through a large chunk of it. I would know just about all top flight players and many in the lower leagues. Since Sky I know a few at each top flight club and hardly any in the lower leagues. I truthfully couldn't name one current Wolves player.
    No way back now, I'll just carry on following Albion because it's in my blood.

Really cant say that SKY has ruined the game.....or killed either. Yet something has changed....maybe it is we older ones have something to compare with. New fans...well they are new and they have known nothing else.
    Everything is exciting when it is new and certainly when you are first exposed to it......Grounds seem more comfortable but also lack atmosphere....a trade off?
    Is the standard of football better today then years ago? Hard to answer that on a like for like bases....ball has changed,pitches are like snooker tables....football boots have changes.etcetera.....
    Is it more entertaining? Depends on how you rate entertainment really. Means different things to different people...
    Watford can beat Arsenal and so it is competitive.....
    Are players more committed to a club today? Quite a lot are...we have a number that have been here a while...a rare breed perhaps.
    I probably agree with Roy Keane on this one....because of the money...many so so players command huge prices and wages...for been in the right profession at the right time....to earn lots of money...cant blame them.
    The game is evolving and the rules are changing.....into what I don't really know. Some thing is out of kilter at this moment in

Totally ruined

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    In my humble opinion Sky is ruining our game. It panders to the armchair fan at the expense of the real fans who travel up and down the country following their team. Kick off dates and times are changed making it really difficult for fans. At the start of the season they should state which games are being televised, and the times, and this should be stuck to. Match dates should not be altered once the season has started.

I don't get this 'global' thing either. Why should I be bothered about fans in China or anywhere else for that matter. They're British teams and matches are attended by British fans even though they are full of foreign players.

The vast amounts of money is another issue. We've now got the so called 'big clubs' stating that viewers only want to watch them so they should get a bigger share of the money. What utter rubbish! I don't want to watch City, United, Chelsea etc. week in, week out, I want to watch all twenty clubs. To be honest the money should be distributed to all divisions not just the elite of the Premier League. Football shouldn't be run for the few but for the many.

I firmly believe that the 'bubble' will eventually burst. Don't get me wrong, there are many new facets of the game that have improved it immensely but I don't believe that Sky, in its present format, is one of them.
    From a foreigner's point of view (who does watch, albeit a few, games live too):

The English top league has attracted the attention of foreigners long before Sky and the PL. In 1969 they started to show games live over here from the old first division, and now and then the FA cup. Back then our league was strictly for amateurs and obviously of lesser quality in all aspects. Our league is still inferior to many foreign leagues which is why people follow these leagues - and because of the televised games from the 60s there is a special affinity and bond with English football over here. The vast majority of football fans over here have a club they support in England (the vast majority don't support the same club as I do though ). So "the global thing" is quite understandable to me .

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    Absolutely endorse Phild and Leicester's comments, and I'm surprised in 123's views.
    I'd much much rather have Saturday 3pm games, and I've suffered inferior football with 100% British players long enough. It doesn't matter so long as they all give their all.
    There was a big drive 20 years or so for fans nationally to unite in not subscribing to Murdoch. I hate the fact that all that money is going towards paying "the elite Clubs" multi-millions to pay £10m pa salaries to these w*nkers + their Agents. The standard of football is obviously better (except for WBA) but the England Football team is suffering as a result.
    Haven't the England national team always suffered, more or less (except in 1966 maybe) ?

I think that SKY money has improved the stadiums significantly from the dirty run down holes many of them used to be and matches are much more family friendly than they used to be but that aside there are more negatives for me. This is after all The English Premier League. A ***** component of that - the supporters, are treated with complete indifference as fixtures get switched to satisy TV schedules so I fail to see any real positives for those that go through the turnstyles.

Agents fees were up 38% in 2016-17 with £220Million being paid in commissions by PL clubs alone. Seems the biggest benefactors in this stand to be the agents and the players with the supporters seeing next to nothing. One wonders what the legacy will be aside from richer agents and players given so much is creamed off at the top with lower league clubs and the grass roots level seeing so little.

Personally, I preferred it pre PL as the old First Division was more competative. The season we got promoted away at Oldham, not long after we were playing and beating Galatasaray and Valencia. Wouldn't happen now as newly promoted teams today just want to stay in the division end of. It suits the PL to have a cartel of the top 5 or so clubs as they create the most revenue. Scudamore himself said it was 'bad for business' having UTD outside the top 6. Says it all. We and others like us re just making the numbers up as the PL is really about the top 5 or 6. That is the reality of SKY. It's all about flogging a product to every corner of the planet.

The biggest negative for me is that many supporters feel completely disenfranchised with the modern game. What do supporters have in common with the modern game where average squad players earn tens of thousands a week? I can see why the true supporters are turning elsewhere. I went to Kiddy Harriers v Chester last week in the FA Cup and its was more entertaining than the Bournmouth, West Ham and Watford games (not hard) and it was clear the supporters all identified with their respective players. Maybe what football should be about.
    Last edited by stripes39; 20-10-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)