+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we always refer to that era as the Taylor/Clough years?

Should we always refer to that era as the Taylor/Clough years?

Looking at the McGovern thread got me back to a favourite topic - the Clough years.

And then to Peter Taylor. The point being would Clough be as good sans Taylor? I think the impact Taylor had cannot be disregarded. He was pivotal. No doubt his status was assistant manager but neither he nor Clough considered it as such.
    Clough was at pains to remind all of Taylor's importance and insisted he got the same pay.

Especially for Derby's initial years under Clough. Taylor's presence, foresight and foil for Clough was instrumental in promotion, style of play and league championship.

At Forest, again he reprised the role, remember Forest were 18 months in 2nd division mediocrity under Clough before Taylor's arrival sparked the greatest period in our history.

So I think we should always refer to the period as the Taylor Clough years

Think we recognise that in Derby, Romanis...hence the statue of the pair of them. Not sure what there is at the City Ground in comparison despite Nottingham being Taylor's home city.
    Probably fair to say that Clough's best days were alongside Taylor and that Taylor achieved nothing without Clough. One of football's most iconic examples of a symbiotic relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Think we recognise that in Derby, Romanis...hence the statue of the pair of them. Not sure what there is at the City Ground in comparison despite Nottingham being Taylor's home city.
    Probably fair to say that Clough's best days were alongside Taylor and that Taylor achieved nothing without Clough. One of football's most iconic examples of a symbiotic relationship?
    I actually beg to differ, although I idolise the pair of them, Derby won their second championship with, IMO, a better team, won it more easily, and won it against stronger opposition, and the team was remodelled by Dave Mackay. Clough/Taylor's dearture was their choice. Dave Mackay picked up a poisoned chalice and turned it into a second holy grail.

Mackay made some really good signings in my opinion

I also agree that I think the second championship side was the stronger team

Rioch, Davies and Lee were the standouts I suppose with Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Rioch, for a season he was unstoppable, if he'd been in the Liverpool side instead of Souness Sky would still be running two-hour specials on him every two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I actually beg to differ, although I idolise the pair of them, Derby won their second championship with, IMO, a better team, won it more easily, and won it against stronger opposition, and the team was remodelled by Dave Mackay. Clough/Taylor's dearture was their choice. Dave Mackay picked up a poisoned chalice and turned it into a second holy grail.
    Not sure how you're disagreeing, or who with, Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    No Charlie George??

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram View Post
    No Charlie George??
    Of course him, but I'm only a 1 season Rams fan...

Hahaha.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)