+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living in the past

After watching the match - or whatever it was - thought I'd cheer myself up with my 1st post for years!!!
    Back in the day there was a club in Custard Land called the Layfette. My brother Phillip and I were amongst the first to become members. It used to be fairly quite in the week but we would turn up regularly. One night - think it was a Wednesday or Thursday - we were there and were about half a dozen people early on. A group from London played their first set. The singer manged to play thze flute standing on one leg and the guitar player was brilliant. In the break we chatted with them and bought them some beer and crisps. Pleasant blokes but said it was wierd playing in a empty place - apparently London was always packed out for them. Second set was really enjoyble. By that time there were about 20 punters in. In all they played around 90mins or soWe enjoyed it so much we told the owner to book them again. He was reluctant but did so.
    On the due date we turned up and this time the queue was all round the block!! Yes, they'd hit the top Living in the Past. Naturally, as members, we went staright to the front -- er, no!!!! - told to f off to the end of the queue. We were having none of that. Got the door bloke to eventually call the manger and in we went. Floor covered in students and hour after hour went by. Eventually the band tirned up about midnight. Played for about 20mins and left!!! Turned me right off that did!!!
    In 1995 my wife and I were in Greece and met with a girl I hadn't seen for nearly 20 years. Turned out she had spent many years cooking for Ian and the boys on their world tours. She convinced me that they really were the nice blokes we bought beer for and I have since been enjoying many bits of music I had forced myself to miss. Doesn*t pay to be miffed about things - even the Baggies when they forget how to play football. West Brom born and bred COYB

Used to go in the Layfette, great soul nights in there.

I saw Jethro Tull around 1970ish at the Bham Town Hall. I quite liked them at the time but actually went because they were supported by Procol Harum who were my favourite band. I think there was also a duo on the bill called Tir Na Nog but can't be sure as the memory starts to let you down after a while. I remember it was also a double header in so much as they all played an early set then a late set, but your ticket only permitted you to see one or the other. Robin Trower was still the guitarist with Procol Harum but I was very impressed with Tull's guitarist who I think was Martin Barre by then. Good times. Still listen to all that stuff. Havent been able to listen to chart cr*p for I don't know how long.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    I saw Jethro Tull around 1970ish at the Bham Town Hall. I quite liked them at the time but actually went because they were supported by Procol Harum who were my favourite band. I think there was also a duo on the bill called Tir Na Nog but can't be sure as the memory starts to let you down after a while. I remember it was also a double header in so much as they all played an early set then a late set, but your ticket only permitted you to see one or the other. Robin Trower was still the guitarist with Procol Harum but I was very impressed with Tull's guitarist who I think was Martin Barre by then. Good times. Still listen to all that stuff. Havent been able to listen to chart cr*p for I don't know how long.
    Your right about Martin Lancelot barre as Anderson likes to call him,mick abbarhams was the original guitarist.but as a up and coming band he refused to gigg most nights and wes replaced with Martin.p.s.tony iommi from the sabs was a member for a very short while .

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    I saw Tull play with Procol Harem at B'ham Town Hall. It was 1970. I can't remember if it was the early or late set. But I do remember somebody climbing along the balcony and Ian Anderson telling them not to be so stupid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)