+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We're going to lose tomorrow

We're going to lose tomorrow

As much as I'm desperate to see us win, I just can't see it happening and can only see "one of those days" when nothing goes right for us, every break of the ball in either box falls their way and they do just enough. Either that or we just won't 'turn up' and we'll lose convincingly leaving us consoling ourselves that "at least our fans outsung their fans" or something along those lines.

I don't even care about the performance in fact I will blow a f£cking gasket if we run them close but lose out then are subjected to the usual patronising pats on the back and self assuring bravado that "we can take so much more from that then they did, even though they won the game" nonsense. Just for once I'd gladly love to be able to say "we played utter sh1te against Rangers but that doesn't matter a jot...cos we WON" after a dreadful match ending 0-0 and us winning on penalties.

I'm not interested in being gallant losers, just for once in this type of game I want to be WINNERS.

Sadly all I can picture is "same old, same old" and we'll be left disappointed yet again.

We know how you feel LSM. It’s the burden of being a ‘Well fan and a feeling that is all too familiar, sadly. However, this manager and team have a real positivity about them and sometimes you make your own luck, and I am confident they will give 100% tomorrow. It’s always nerve wracking playing the Old Firm, but all the pressure is on them. If we can play as we have been this season, then we have a genuine chance. Let’s give it a real go!

I have a lot more confidence in Robinson than I had in certain previous managers that he will have the team fired right up for tomorrow, but I just can't see anything other than the usual Motherwell v Rangers fare. For all we ended up running them fairly close at FP in August, we were lucky we weren't 3-0 down inside the first twenty minutes and only really took the game to them in the closing stages when 2-1 down when we experienced our usual hard luck story with chances missed and efforts deflected just agonisingly past the post etc. I just don't see tomorrow being any different unfortunately.

I've long since said that games against Rangers for us are like watching the same film over and over again and hoping that it somehow ends differently, but it never does.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    I have a lot more confidence in Robinson than I had in certain previous managers that he will have the team fired right up for tomorrow, but I just can't see anything other than the usual Motherwell v Rangers fare. For all we ended up running them fairly close at FP in August, we were lucky we weren't 3-0 down inside the first twenty minutes and only really took the game to them in the closing stages when 2-1 down when we experienced our usual hard luck story with chances missed and efforts deflected just agonisingly past the post etc. I just don't see tomorrow being any different unfortunately.

I've long since said that games against Rangers for us are like watching the same film over and over again and hoping that it somehow ends differently, but it never does.
    Relieved normal service has been resumed :-)

Has the last month been so bad to prompt such a change of heart from your view after the quarters?

"If we play like that against Rangers we can and will beat them because in my opinion we have just beaten a better side than the one we will face at Hampden next month. What gives me more hope than normal is that Robinson will not allow us to just play the name and the jersey of 'Rangers' like certain previous incumbents of the dugout would have done. They are an ordinary side who can be beaten on the day and I'm sure SR will have the players believing that they can do the business and lay another massive Cup demon to rest."

We'll give it a good go in a 50-50 game...we'll see.

I think the adrenaline was running high after pumping Aberdeen when I posted that and although everything I said last month still stands, as we get nearer this tie all I can see is the usual defeat and disappointment, I think experience is playing a part here.

Aye, think everyone can identify with that.

If we play the 11 players in front of us rather than the team name we've got every chance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Aye, think everyone can identify with that.

If we play the 11 players in front of us rather than the team name we've got every chance though.
    Absolutely.

I think it's just that we've been here so many times overs the years, particularly when Rangers are involved it just eats away at the back of your mind. You think of being 2-1 up with minutes to go in the Scottish Cup at Fir Park, cue Woods' brain fart. You think of us being 2-1 up against them at Hampden in 2003 after Faddy's wonder-goal and outplaying them into the bargain, Clarkson gets a gilt edges chance inside the six yard box to make it 3-1 and he sclaffs it wide and we end up losing. You think of the 2011 Semi Final in the league cup, we get back to 1-1 and are on the ascendancy, they are clearly rattled then one attack, one cross into the box and Craigan loses Naismith - game over. Then you think of the times we've just not turned up, like the 2005 League Cup Final that was dead and buried inside the first ten minutes and the utterly pathetic capitulation at Ibrox in 2012 just after the whole liquidation/Newco fiasco. Then you factor in us not knocking them out of a Cup in at least 40 years and tomorrow doesn't bode well.

As fantastic as the playoffs ultimately were, I swear I did not actually start to believe we were really going to win until the second goal in the second leg, I kept expecting them to come back any minute and I know I wasn't alone. Even when we were 3-0 up at Ibrox, the nerves were clearly there in our support as the game wore on and we dropped deeper, we'd seen it all before.

Hopefully tomorrow is a repeat of that glorious night at Ibrox in May 2015.

You're right to say you were not alone with those thoughts and if we happen to be a couple up at half-time tomorrow I'm sure we'll all have them again. That'll make the win all the sweeter

Good luck tomorrow ..ive every confidence in you and i think you`ll do it

If we play with the same determination and enthusiasm as we did against the Dons then IMO we will definitely give Rangers a game.If we score first the pressure then increases on the Rangers manager and his players.People and the press have said how much Rangers have improved in recent games,but it has taken a couple of opposition players to have been sent off before they took control of the games.This brings me to my main point we have to keep our discipline tomorrow and not let the occasion get to us and have us letting the adrenaline cause us to make rash tackles etc. Moult is overdo to hit the net hopefully he scores the opening goal with the last kick of the ball ⚽️. COYW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)