+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right

Right

That was a largely boring and disappointing 90 minutes, but when a match finishes that way it's always worth the while.

For me, Joselu needs a spell on the bench now. I think it's unhealthy that he's not being challenged more than he is, and Mitrovic needs a chance to show what he can do now. I know he can haunt some defences in this league if he gets the chance.

Rafa's tactics do baffle me sometimes, but seeing as we're sixth in the league now, I don't think I'm in a position to be heavily critical. A win on a day like today is just epic.

He needs to start Merino though, he's done nothing to not warrant a starting place, be it on the cost of Shelvey.

A good clean sheet victory today, so you can't really complain. Foggon on the tyne.

Aye.

We're 6th and looking solid defensively - so hard to be critical.

Agree that Merino should start.

I do want Mitro to start as well but. . . He didn't follow instructions for all of how crap Joselu has been recently in scoring he's holding up the ball and doing what Rafa wants him to.

I'd still like to see him start though

The only thing that counts for us this season is the league table - and I like what I see.

You see Man U losing at Uddersfield and Chelski losing to Palace - means we´re doing very well so far.

At home we need goal threat. Mitro comes on, we score - he gives defenders something new to think about. I like Joselu and he has a part to play but our most threatening striker this season is Mitro and his link up play has come on leaps and bounds. If he could just control his temper he could be a good squad striker for us - of course we desperately need a reinforcement there - I think Gayle´s had it.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I think Gayle´s had it.
    I think you're right.

Also don't think we'll get anywhere near what we would of in the summer for him now.

This Gayle situation is so strange. Last season he was immense, played his part to perfection. Now he's a shadow of his former self, but he's also not being trusted to lead the line suddenly. We all know PL is a different ball game from the Fizzy, but still.... I wonder what's really happened to him as Rafa must have his reasons not to play him. And we've all heard rumours about lack of confidence, etc. Puzzling really.

Watched the full game Perez was worse than useless

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    Watched the full game Perez was worse than useless
    I think we'll be aiming for a new number 10 to fill that role in Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I think we'll be aiming for a new number 10 to fill that role in Jan.
    I hope so. Again he was rubbish. I'm not one to condemn players usually but I really don't see what his contribution is.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    I hope so. Again he was rubbish. I'm not one to condemn players usually but I really don't see what his contribution is.
    I think, and it's a massive "think" that Rafa has set him a very specific number 10 role, for example to just run and run at their defence even if he does little else just to keep the opposition defence off kilter and he does this, so Rafa keeps playing him in the role he has got him doing.

Also - we have very little else that can go there

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I think, and it's a massive "think" that Rafa has set him a very specific number 10 role, for example to just run and run at their defence even if he does little else just to keep the opposition defence off kilter and he does this, so Rafa keeps playing him in the role he has got him doing.

Also - we have very little else that can go there
    I think you're right Jammy. It's just very, very frustrating to watch at times. Most of the time actually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)