+ Visit Dundee United FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 92

Thread: New Gaffer

  1. #1

    New Gaffer

    Looking at Ross County and Kilmarnock getting the quality of manager they have, surely we can get someone descent with a large budget bigger than those two clubs i would imagine and bigger fan base by far. Yes in a lower league so who can we get. Who would you take???

    Steve Evans
    Alan stubbs
    Alan Irvine
    Derek Adams
    John Hughes
    Mark Mcghee
    Justin Edinbrugh
    Billy McKinlay
    George Burley

  2. #2
    Only my opinion but under new ownership Stevie Clarke would have been a brilliant appointment but that is now Kilmarnock's gain,we remain hamstrung with the rent man in command.If anybody we a few bob who loves United is reading this please get your finger oot and get Thompson away tae phuck ASAP.There is every chance we will at best remain a Championship club until he is out the door.

  3. #3
    I doubt we could get the better names on that list.

    Terry Butcher knows what it takes to get out the division.

    Hes got pedigree, wont take ****e.

    Did it as a player, captain and enjoyed success at our level as a manager.

    With Malpas as Assistant wed have two guys who would ensure the players know that the performance today as an example is not and never will be acceptable.

    Hes not ideal. But the best of a bad bunch in terms of who is available to me.

    Hes had a terrible time of it recently and my heart bleeds for him but a till the end of the season gig with a guarantee of one/two years in event of promotion may just entice him.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    I doubt we could get the better names on that list.

    Terry Butcher knows what it takes to get out the division.

    Hes got pedigree, wont take ****e.

    Did it as a player, captain and enjoyed success at our level as a manager.

    With Malpas as Assistant wed have two guys who would ensure the players know that the performance today as an example is not and never will be acceptable.

    Hes not ideal. But the best of a bad bunch in terms of who is available to me.

    Hes had a terrible time of it recently and my heart bleeds for him but a till the end of the season gig with a guarantee of one/two years in event of promotion may just entice him.
    Agree wi this M.

    Although wouldnt have Malpas - Daly maybe.

  5. #5
    Some of the names on that list horrify me tbh and they would not have a clue in our league.

    Derek Adams would be great but dont think wed get close to tempting him.

    There are plenty managers available that have got clubs up or done ok in our league - eg McIntyre, Stubbs, D Lennon

    Jack Ross would be best man for the job but I am guessing that wont happen. ST would never spend to actually get him.

    If he were our manager with squad we have got we would romp to the title. As it is we are lucky to still be in touch

  6. #6
    That would be a good shout, i agree Daly as assistant not Malpas.

    Also would only give deal until end of season, with longer deal dependant on promotion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    everyone one i know keeps saying lennon. Facts are he did well - but his accent - he sounds like a junkie ffs

  8. #8
    Wed never get Daly as assistant manager.

    But Butcher knows what it takes.

    Not ideal but hes done the job we need done.

    Took ICT up after being well behind Dundee.

  9. #9
    Malpas will always be a playing legend but he would only make the club more toxic than it is,he is despised by a lot of people in the game and in the stand's which probably makes him a genuine candidate in the mind of our chairman,FACT.

  10. #10
    Lets park Malpas on one side

    What about Butcher?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    We’d never get Daly as assistant manager.

    But Butcher knows what it takes.

    Not ideal but he’s done the job we need done.

    Took ICT up after being well behind Dundee.
    Disagree about Daly but then maybe it doesnt matter i agree about Butcher - Malpas is toxic. Dont want him near Utd. He has no personality to drive us forward. Legend but ... Give Mcdonald a senior role and some asst. just not malpas

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Let’s park Malpas on one side

    What about Butcher?
    no terrible idea

  13. #13
    Taking another job's probably the furthest thing from Butcher's mind at the moment, not that I'd in any way be in favour of appointing him. Daly's assistant manager to one of the great minds of Scottish football at a bigger club, with a plan for the future that extends past pawning off all the clubs assets just to keep the lights on for the next month. You'd have to question his mental state if he even considered walking away from what he has to come to us, no matter the ties he has to the club.

    Stubbs is probably the pick of the bunch, but even he has a track record of failure in this division. Danny Lennon's an interesting shout too. The standout candidates have already joined Ross County and Kilmarnock unfortunately.

  14. #14
    Butcher's 35 yo son died in the past week or so, his mind will be on other matters for the foreseeable.

    Irvine, Adams and Stubbs are decent shouts.

    In a world where Killie and Ross Co are getting big names not sure why any of them would be outwith our reach.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerPetric View Post
    Butcher's 35 yo son died in the past week or so, his mind will be on other matters for the foreseeable.

    Irvine, Adams and Stubbs are decent shouts.

    In a world where Killie and Ross Co are getting big names not sure why any of them would be outwith our reach.
    phuck i didnt know that!

    just googled it - jesus that is tragic! I had no idea
    Last edited by shedboy71; 21-10-2017 at 11:16 PM.

  16. #16
    Im not sure at all about many of the names that have been mentioned. Definitely not Butcher and Malpas though, and certainly not any up coming manager that has had even a smidgen of a link to United as a player!

    As for Daly, ive already said on here that Levein is only manager to bring on Daly as the next Hearts manager!

    We need a new Levein who is big enough to pull up the club and support by the bootlaces and get us out this bloody league! Couldnt care how we do it now, but pretty players dont work!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Pissedoffshed View Post
    Looking at Ross County and Kilmarnock getting the quality of manager they have, surely we can get someone descent with a large budget bigger than those two clubs i would imagine and bigger fan base by far. Yes in a lower league so who can we get. Who would you take???

    Steve Evans
    Alan stubbs
    Alan Irvine
    Derek Adams
    John Hughes
    Mark Mcghee
    Justin Edinbrugh
    Billy McKinlay
    George Burley
    We are ****ing skint mate.

    County have a far bigger budget than us thanks to mcgregor and Killie only got Clarke as he has a family tie to the club.

    We will go for an experienced jobber or a young manager - not a big name.

    If we spend on a big name and end up staying down we are staring a financial disaster in the face...

  18. #18
    We can only take what we can get.

    Id be shocked if we dont chicken out and take McIntyre.

    I really hope it works out.

    We need some luck when it comes to managers.

  19. #19
    This next managerial appointments is up there with any that's ever been made in terms of importance, we cannot fail to go up this season but with the dumpling making appointments god help us

  20. #20
    No ex players, no old firm lovers and no pundits please

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •