+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for instant video replays on important game decisions?

There was minimal contact left by his trailing leg and the little Portuguese cheating git went down like he was shot.

Contact. Dive = Penalty.

I noticed East was never going to balance it up when Delph handled?

It was a penalty and I don't blame forwards for being dramatic when fouled considering the number of times defenders get away with it.

Wood was fouled but that referee missed it , the City ref didn't.

The new panel got it badly wrong with the lower league player who has been suspended after he got up and tried to continue playing.

What makes people think that somebody looking at a video will get it right.

Rewording the penalty law may help.

At the end of the day it's down to luck, like it's always been through history. I don't blame refs other than the bent ones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Silva has defended his dive saying he felt contact and claimed it hurt a little.

God help him if he ever runs across me, the smack in the jaw he will receive, will seriously hurt him a bit more than a little. Cheating little bar-steward.
    Has he landed yet?

He learnt well from his brother Tom-

Quote Originally Posted by thedonz View Post
    It was a penalty and I don't blame forwards for being dramatic when fouled considering the number of times defenders get away with it.

Wood was fouled but that referee missed it , the City ref didn't.

The new panel got it badly wrong with the lower league player who has been suspended after he got up and tried to continue playing.

What makes people think that somebody looking at a video will get it right.

Rewording the penalty law may help.

At the end of the day it's down to luck, like it's always been through history. I don't blame refs other than the bent ones.
    "What makes people think that looking at a video will get it right"?.

The video replay is re-played to the fans and the TV viewer.

In cricket, replays get it right most times.

Run-outs; Stumping; bowlers over-stepping the mark--all works on video replay.

And where there is uncertainty there can be no decision to make.

Trys awarded/not awarded in Rugby work very well --and adds to the spectacle.

In AFL there is video replay of goals if there is doubt raised by the goal umpire. It mainly works. It only fails because insufficient cameras are used to record the event

Replays take the decision off of the ref and put it out there for all to see. Replays make decisions more transparent.

Personally, I would just start with replays over penalty decisions as a matter of course.

No requirement for player appeal--it just automatically happens.

Leave all other decisions to refs and linesmen at this time.

I think it would help if they changed the emphasis on contact. At the moment it seems that it was a Pen because there was contact, but since when was football a non contact sport ? The law as it stands encourages players to throw themselves onto the ground if a defender so much as breathes on him, why not instruct refs to only award a free-kick/pen if in the refs opinion that contact caused the player to go down. If the player chooses to go down when he could have stayed on his feet, well tough, that's his problem.

It would alter the mindset of players and make the game easier to referee and much fairer in the long run. But it won't happen, the Laws and their interpretation by refs will continue to encourage and reward the cheats. I can't think of another sport on the planet which encourages and condones cheating like football does, but sadly that's the way it is. This latest incident is further proof, everyone accepts Silva was cheating, but everyone also accepts that under the laws the ref was right to award a pen. What a farce, how can that be right ?

All true sinkov, therefore, without any change, I would expect to see a plethora of penalties awarded in next weekend's games because you can guarantee that defenders will make contact with opponents, therefore, on the basis that contact is made there must be a penalty awarded or a free kick given to the defender. On this basis, I would also expect to see goals, such as that scored by Otamendi, disallowed because he made contact with Ben Mee.
    We are moving nearer and nearer to the point when all physical contact will be banned and footballl will be dead -- well, I certainly will stop watching.

FA have reviewed the tackle and no action is being taken
    https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/10/23...ainst-burnley/

Apart from goal line technology there should be no move to use video reviews for any decisions in football. Let us just accept that the officials are doing a difficult job to the best of their ability and respect that fact.
    I do not accept that, because there is a lot of money involved at the top level of the game, there should be special measures introduced which will still not be 100% correct and will be unavailable to other levels of the game.

If their is insistence on introducing video technology for decisions then they should go the whole hog and get rid of the onfield officials and do it all by video, surely that would save all arguments and stop players surrounding the officials.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    FA have reviewed the tackle and no action is being taken
    https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/10/23...ainst-burnley/
    I don't think any of us thought action would be taken by a less than average panel did we ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)