+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Czech Republic election

O/T Czech Republic election

I see a billionaire who is anti immigration and not a fan of the EU as won the election in the Czech Republic. Also the far right who want to ban Islam have also done well with the Liberals and centre parties doing poorly.
    I wonder which country will be next to go down this path?

Yup. And it doesn't really surprise me. I'd count myself as a left-leaning liberal on most issues, but this much is true about the CR: they have seen what multiculturalism and unchecked immigration has done to countries like the UK, France and Germany, and they don't want it. That's their call. And having lived there for 6 years I can see why they see it that way. All in all it's a much happier and safer society than in the UK.

Babis is a ridiculous choice though - another super-rich, corrupt, self-serving politician. And he's not even Czech. Democracy, eh.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 22-10-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yup. And it doesn't really surprise me. I'd count myself as a left-leaning liberal on most issues, but this much is true about the CR: they have seen what multiculturalism and unchecked immigration has done to countries like the UK, France and Germany, and they don't want it. That's their call. And having lived there for 6 years I can see why they see it that way. All in all it's a much happier and safer society than in the UK.

Babis is a ridiculous choice though - another super-rich, corrupt, self-serving politician. And he's not even Czech. Democracy, eh.
    Whilst I bow to your experience on the Czech Republic, Mr Slack, I must question the way you bracket together unchecked immigration and multiculturalism. They are two quite discrete issues and anyone who considers themselves as 'left-leaning Liberals' should see that.
    Multiculturalism is not without its issues but for the most part it is a success story. A Brits-only or whites only culture would be an infinitely poorer thing than what we have in the fields of the arts, cuisine and festivals, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Whilst I bow to your experience on the Czech Republic, Mr Slack, I must question the way you bracket together unchecked immigration and multiculturalism. They are two quite discrete issues and anyone who considers themselves as 'left-leaning Liberals' should see that.
    Multiculturalism is not without its issues but for the most part it is a success story. A Brits-only or whites only culture would be an infinitely poorer thing than what we have in the fields of the arts, cuisine and festivals, for example.
    I agree that multiculturalism has made the UK a richer place in many ways, but it's not without its problems. Countries like the CR don't focus on things like cuisine or festivals when considering whether they want what we have, they focus on the obvious problems. Terrorist attacks make the news, not the UK's diverse range of restaurants. This may not be an accurate representation of life in the UK, but it's the version other countries get through the news. And as much as I value other cultures, I wouldn't say that multiculturalism has necessarily been a success story.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I agree that multiculturalism has made the UK a richer place in many ways, but it's not without its problems. Countries like the CR don't focus on things like cuisine or festivals when considering whether they want what we have, they focus on the obvious problems. Terrorist attacks make the news, not the UK's diverse range of restaurants. This may not be an accurate representation of life in the UK, but it's the version other countries get through the news. And as much as I value other cultures, I wouldn't say that multiculturalism has necessarily been a success story.
    Nice one, slack_pie.

They are not technically the same thing but to suppose that you could have unchecked immigration without multiculturalism is fantasy. As to whether multiculturalism has been a success depends on your life experience. It may have been a success for people who can afford to dip in and out of the elements they choose to partake in but those with fewer life choices are those bearing the negative impacts.

Morning Sidney - back to the normal doctrine I see ........but allow me to pass comment.

Of course unchecked immigration and Multiculturalism are discrete issues if viewed entirely separately but surely unchecked immigration must lead to Multiculturalism or am missing something? Multiculturalism is nowhere near the success story you claim. It has led to 'no go areas' in parts of our cities, any slight criticism of an immigrants behaviour is automatically called racist by PC indoctrinated politicians, they breed like rabbits and in consequent years will make the 'ghetto' situation much worse and I believe the time is not far off unfortunately when Mr Powell's predictions will come true.

I agree 100% with slack_pie has to say ...... the average Brit is happy enough with British culture .... you may enjoy others but I'm sure most aren't bothered. What bothers us is the lawlessness that clashes of culture create. Now I'm not advocating a non immigrant policy but I would strongly support a strict vetting process for any would be genuine immigrant - and that would be to accept and obey the law of the land and OUR way of life - not the one of another country.

Multiculturalism was something that was bound to happen over time once cheap and easy air travel became available. Fifty years ago very few people had travelled abroad, nowadays very few people haven't. They meet people of different nationalities and skin colours and decide they actually like them, then settle down and have a family. In a few centuries I suspect the people of the world will be mostly coffee coloured. All we need to do is get rid of the curses of religion and greed and it might just become a happy place.

I have used the phrase "tipping point" several times in these discussions......in my Grammar School there was one half-caste Black boy, Chis Collymore.
    He and I caught the same two buses to school everyday for 3 years in Reading....we were good friends, never ever saw any verbal or physical abuse, he was accepted by all.....over the years, things changed....more and more Commonwealth immigrants in the 70s and 80s....then uncontrolled immigration from the EU......now waves of illegal immigrants from the middle-East and Africa.

A tipping point was reached when various cities became ghettos, trying to "police" their own areas, local Sharia courts, so-called anti-racist laws meant it was taboo to even type "paki", Asian councilors and MPs......and ugly Islamic teachings totally opposed to Western values.....even Asian rapist gangs in almost every city and ISIS supporters walking the streets waving ISIS flags.

Now we have Islamic terrorists growing up in the UK and Europe that are quite willing to kill as many innocent bystanders as they can....they pretended to be integrated, accepted our free schools, hospitals and housing....basically they are "sleepers" waiting for the right moment to strike.

People have had enough....countries in Eastern Europe look at the UK, France, Spain and Belgium and quite rightly say "no thanks"....Czechs, Germans, French, Dutch, Brits, Hungarians, Austrians and possibly the Italians are all fighting back via the ballot box.......the trouble is, is it too late?

BEECHY SAYS:
    People have had enough....countries in Eastern Europe look at the UK, France, Spain and Belgium and quite rightly say "no thanks"....Czechs, Germans, French, Dutch, Brits, Hungarians, Austrians and possibly the Italians are all fighting back via the ballot box.......the trouble is, is it too late?

would be more acceptable if the word 'some' was inserted before 'Czechs'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast