+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: yesterdays game

yesterdays game

well well well...... that was .......fun. lets get this over with quickly so i can then remove the performance from memory.

1st half
    thought we didn't start too badly. chances for both teams but once they scored we looked like we didn't want to fight to get out of the problem we were in. their 1st goal was just a poor mistake from flood to put the ball on the plate of the goalscorer. the 2nd was similar in a way to livi's 2nd goal last week. ball fired across and no one defending correctly in the middle of the goal. Once it goes 2-0 we looked like we didn't give a s***. a half which started off not too bad ending embarrassingly. rightly booed off.

2nd half
    A Big Improvement! the reaction was incredible! oh no there was no reaction, no improvement. same rubbish as the 1st half. genuinely don't know what ray said to them at half time. whatever he said didn't do f*** all. we were lucky that caley were happy enough to take a 2-0. Taking Mcmullan off to bring murdoch on and move durnan up top. Genius!! Arguably the worst substitute i've seen at tannadice. As the ole's began from the ICT fans for any pass their players made, not one united player looked like he was bothered enough to put a tackle in. embarrassing

ratings (this'll be fun)
    Lewis
    Probably the best i've seen from him. made some good saves. shows how poor we were that he was Motm (8)
    Toshney
    thought LT was decent for once. best of a bad bunch. at least made tackles. (5)
    Durnan
    defended ok nothing special. then felt sorry for him as he spent the last 25 odd mins playing up top. looked lost. (4)
    Edge
    decent defender but distribution is shocking! people gave dillion abuse for his passing. the edge only punts! okay (4)
    Robson
    less said the better. Mulraney had him every single time!!! (a generous 2)
    Flood
    tried but that should be the least you expect. poor mistake for 1st goal. ok performance couldnt walk by end (3)
    Fyvie
    needs to realize the play doesn't always need to go through him. went down about 4 times (4)
    stanton
    lightweight. not great tbh. couldnt do simplest things but then again either could alot of them. (3)
    Mcmullan
    now we know why he's at us. lazy git didnt help robson at all. (2)
    Mcdonald
    no service again. at least tried to win ball back if he lost it. (4)
    Keatings
    non existent for the majority of the game. looked like he didnt want to be there tbh. lazy (3)

subs
    Murdoch
    the famous subby. didnt do much wrong when he came on but the damage was done by then (3)
    King
    another lightweight. thought he would have had a point to prove v caley but didnt really do anything. (2)
    fraser
    actually done some good things. like passing to other players in tangerine! (something we havent been used to in a while) hopefully he gets abit of hunger and desire about him (3)

ICT
    Made them look better than what they were. they were very simple! work hard out of possession and use the wide players with pace to hurt the opposition. mulraney was tricky on the RW. chalmers and Vigurs in the middle strolled it. looked comfortable the majority of the game. everything we werent.

Who's next??
    Assuming the rumors are true that Ray has been punted. Who is the next to try their luck at the impossible job?!?
    i know theres another topic ive seen about this so ill just quickly give some of my thoughts about it.

i know alot of people think he would come but honestly i dont think carlo ancelotti fancies the scottish championship sadly. hes already been in the press before saying he wouldnt work with thompson. thats a no runner

on a serious note.

YES
    Mcintyre is my #1 choice, not keen on an another ex player but hes done well with other clubs and seems best option.
    Stubbs- done good job with hibs had them playing some good stuff. maybe not what we need right now tho.

Maybe
    Butcher wouldnt be worst option but recent events might stop that
    danny lennon done well elsewhere.
    Jim mcinally- done good job in lower leagues but ex player curse?

dark horses
    Gary Holt - supposedly close to getting killie job, decent reputation.
    Gus mcpherson - done good job in lower leagues with queens park. maybe too risky
    Shaun derry- linked with hearts/killie and county in recent months so clearly looking to get in. might be a decent shout.
    Graham alexander- linked with few jobs up here before

NO/No chance
    Hughes not after raith
    Jack ross wont leave saints for us
    Aitken wont leave well paid job/dumbarton gig for us
    Houston- burnt down bridges here.
    Mckinlay- untested in scotland
    cathro- would you want him after hearts job?
    Pressley- job beneath him
    davies job beneath him
    o'neill- no chance
    Mcghee- that allowed? no
    Barry ferguson- nooooo

whats jackie and mixu up to?

interesting few days ahead

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    well well well...... that was .......fun. lets get this over with quickly so i can then remove the performance from memory.

1st half
    thought we didn't start too badly. chances for both teams but once they scored we looked like we didn't want to fight to get out of the problem we were in. their 1st goal was just a poor mistake from flood to put the ball on the plate of the goalscorer. the 2nd was similar in a way to livi's 2nd goal last week. ball fired across and no one defending correctly in the middle of the goal. Once it goes 2-0 we looked like we didn't give a s***. a half which started off not too bad ending embarrassingly. rightly booed off.

2nd half
    A Big Improvement! the reaction was incredible! oh no there was no reaction, no improvement. same rubbish as the 1st half. genuinely don't know what ray said to them at half time. whatever he said didn't do f*** all. we were lucky that caley were happy enough to take a 2-0. Taking Mcmullan off to bring murdoch on and move durnan up top. Genius!! Arguably the worst substitute i've seen at tannadice. As the ole's began from the ICT fans for any pass their players made, not one united player looked like he was bothered enough to put a tackle in. embarrassing

ratings (this'll be fun)
    Lewis
    Probably the best i've seen from him. made some good saves. shows how poor we were that he was Motm (8)
    Toshney
    thought LT was decent for once. best of a bad bunch. at least made tackles. (5)
    Durnan
    defended ok nothing special. then felt sorry for him as he spent the last 25 odd mins playing up top. looked lost. (4)
    Edge
    decent defender but distribution is shocking! people gave dillion abuse for his passing. the edge only punts! okay (4)
    Robson
    less said the better. Mulraney had him every single time!!! (a generous 2)
    Flood
    tried but that should be the least you expect. poor mistake for 1st goal. ok performance couldnt walk by end (3)
    Fyvie
    needs to realize the play doesn't always need to go through him. went down about 4 times (4)
    stanton
    lightweight. not great tbh. couldnt do simplest things but then again either could alot of them. (3)
    Mcmullan
    now we know why he's at us. lazy git didnt help robson at all. (2)
    Mcdonald
    no service again. at least tried to win ball back if he lost it. (4)
    Keatings
    non existent for the majority of the game. looked like he didnt want to be there tbh. lazy (3)

subs
    Murdoch
    the famous subby. didnt do much wrong when he came on but the damage was done by then (3)
    King
    another lightweight. thought he would have had a point to prove v caley but didnt really do anything. (2)
    fraser
    actually done some good things. like passing to other players in tangerine! (something we havent been used to in a while) hopefully he gets abit of hunger and desire about him (3)

ICT
    Made them look better than what they were. they were very simple! work hard out of possession and use the wide players with pace to hurt the opposition. mulraney was tricky on the RW. chalmers and Vigurs in the middle strolled it. looked comfortable the majority of the game. everything we werent.

Who's next??
    Assuming the rumors are true that Ray has been punted. Who is the next to try their luck at the impossible job?!?
    i know theres another topic ive seen about this so ill just quickly give some of my thoughts about it.

i know alot of people think he would come but honestly i dont think carlo ancelotti fancies the scottish championship sadly. hes already been in the press before saying he wouldnt work with thompson. thats a no runner

on a serious note.

YES
    Mcintyre is my #1 choice, not keen on an another ex player but hes done well with other clubs and seems best option.
    Stubbs- done good job with hibs had them playing some good stuff. maybe not what we need right now tho.

Maybe
    Butcher wouldnt be worst option but recent events might stop that
    danny lennon done well elsewhere.
    Jim mcinally- done good job in lower leagues but ex player curse?

dark horses
    Gary Holt - supposedly close to getting killie job, decent reputation.
    Gus mcpherson - done good job in lower leagues with queens park. maybe too risky
    Shaun derry- linked with hearts/killie and county in recent months so clearly looking to get in. might be a decent shout.
    Graham alexander- linked with few jobs up here before

NO/No chance
    Hughes not after raith
    Jack ross wont leave saints for us
    Aitken wont leave well paid job/dumbarton gig for us
    Houston- burnt down bridges here.
    Mckinlay- untested in scotland
    cathro- would you want him after hearts job?
    Pressley- job beneath him
    davies job beneath him
    o'neill- no chance
    Mcghee- that allowed? no
    Barry ferguson- nooooo

whats jackie and mixu up to?

interesting few days ahead
    Since no-one else has replied to Darren our roving reporter I will because you put a lot into that mate. Good post with a nice mix of darkness and light, actually come to think of it it was all darkness, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Cheers bud appreciate it

only post these match report things to get it all out of my system really esp the defeats

Great effort! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Since no-one else has replied to Darren our roving reporter I will because you put a lot into that mate. Good post with a nice mix of darkness and light, actually come to think of it it was all darkness, but I enjoyed it anyway.
    Great post.

I agree re king. He typified players not actually trying to do anything special. Sometimes you need to take a risk. Try and take a man. Take a shot. Do something to get going. His only interest we going through the motions. Their keeper fluffed it out to him and instead of gonfor the instant shot he just dallied and lost it

Gary Holt not a bad shout from amongst these managerial possibilities

ST though has no imagination

Agree with all your NOs too

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    Great post.

I agree re king. He typified players not actually trying to do anything special. Sometimes you need to take a risk. Try and take a man. Take a shot. Do something to get going. His only interest we going through the motions. Their keeper fluffed it out to him and instead of gonfor the instant shot he just dallied and lost it

Gary Holt not a bad shout from amongst these managerial possibilities

ST though has no imagination

Agree with all your NOs too
    Seriously, what has Gary Holt ever done to even warrant being linked to Dundee United???

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Dyer View Post
    Seriously, what has Gary Holt ever done to even warrant being linked to Dundee United???
    Not been on over the w/e so just catching up.
    Great summary again Darren.
    DD - I agree with you about Gary f'n Holt. And good news, I've joined Arab-Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Dyer View Post
    supposedly was really close to getting killie job. has a good reputation as a coach and probably looking to get back into management. i wouldnt be against it but i do also think we need someone who's "been around abit" knows how to manage and holt doesnt fit the bill.

if some people are calling for guys like billy mckinlay or duncan ferguson (which ive seen on fb/twitter) then why not holt?
    not saying we should go get him just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    supposedly was really close to getting killie job. has a good reputation as a coach and probably looking to get back into management. i wouldnt be against it but i do also think we need someone who's "been around abit" knows how to manage and holt doesnt fit the bill.

if some people are calling for guys like billy mckinlay or duncan ferguson (which ive seen on fb/twitter) then why not holt?
    not saying we should go get him just a suggestion
    His entire managerial career consists of 13 months in charge of Falkirk. He has less experience than McKinnon did ffs!

He is a million miles from what we need right now.

Good summery as usual Darren, always a good read!. I'm with Danny dyer here tho, holts name shouldn't be on any list linked with us.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)