+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moult mania takes Motherwell to the League Cup Final

Moult mania takes Motherwell to the League Cup Final

Motherwell overcame decades of heartbreak to knock Rangers out of the cup with a 2-0 win at Hampden to earn a return against Celtic at the end of November. - External Link

And boy was that worth the wait!

Time was we would have huffed, puffed, missed our chances and they would have ran up the park and scored with their only chance.

Thank you Stephen Robinson for finally giving us a side with bottle, belief and will to win on the big stage. It helps when you have a striker with Moult's quality into the bargain.

Fantastic day!

Moult......What a player. What a second goal. Thought we were a we bit fortunate to go in level at half time. The second half???? We bulldozed them. I thought we were different class in the second half and Rangers hadn't a clue how to deal with it. Out fought, out thought, big Peter Hartley certainly went Buffalo hunting all right. He's probably having Buffalo for his dinner right now. Listened to Bruno Alves on the radio on the way home. It was like those big bad Motherwell players were hitting us. This is supposed to be from a seasoned grizzled centre half, just sums up Rangers really. Mon the wellllllllll

First take from the highlights was that we were lucky not to go behind...whether it was the occasion, the shock of the big pitch, who knows, but a better side would have had three or four before we scored. That said, Jack's clearance off the line was a blinder.

However, there's no points for performances in cup games as we well know. Playing your back-up keeper in the cup is one thing if you're a Premier League giant, Real Madrid etc but Rangers? Deary me...Hartley probably should have scored himself but Moult did what good strikers do and then he did what outstanding strikers can do. Bloody hell, what a player. What a decision not to sell him...

Bowman should have seen red but we'll gloss over that. The Alves/Moult tussle wasn't shown.

And then it's on to twisting and shouting and the remains of the Motherwell whisky which I didn't quite finish after the play-offs. Joyous day, joyous night...time to look for flights!

We weren't great performance wise today and indeed if we play like that against Celtic we will be torn up for toilet paper, but today was all about winning and we've only gone and done it. As I said, just for once I wanted to be able to say "we played sh1te but we won" and that's what happened today.

We ground out that result but thoroughly deserved our win for fight, determination and bottle. A compleltely different Motherwell side from that of a few years ago. The referee was weak and Alves was lucky not to see red as was Bowman and the player who pushed one of our lads to deck in the second melee. Nothing to thank the referee for and we won because of our own efforts.

Well I said after the Aberdeen game we beat Rangers and I've never been known to inhabit the optimistic camp. This Motherwell team is different. They didn't play that well today and we still won. I'll say it now The League Cup Trophy will be in the Fir Park Trophy Cabinet come years end.

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    Well I said after the Aberdeen game we beat Rangers and I've never been known to inhabit the optimistic camp. This Motherwell team is different. They didn't play that well today and we still won. I'll say it now The League Cup Trophy will be in the Fir Park Trophy Cabinet come years end.
    I hope you are right and if you are then this season, this team and this manager will go down in Motherwell FC folklore.

Imagine the feeling seeing us finally end our 26 year wait for a trophy and ending the unbeaten run of Brendan's Golden Bhoys into the bargain. It'll be a tall order but if you are still in the Cup you can still win the Cup.

Whatever happens on the day, this season has been more enjoyable than the last three put together.

Wee Brenda's already started her media campaign by implying we're a big, physical and fouling team. Sounds like the little turd's running scared of a team with 'Character'.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Wee Brenda's already started her media campaign by implying we're a big, physical and fouling team. Sounds like the little turd's running scared of a team with 'Character'.
    and just watch him and his media mates boot the arse out of it for the next 5 weeks. Its time we were put back in our box cos we've upset the hacks and their slevering obsession with Old Firm finals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)