Get your very own personalised THE EXEC LOUNGE gifts!
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's your choice?

Quote Originally Posted by antoinepreget View Post
    Looking like Hughes. Decent records at Falkirk and Inverness. Started well at Hibs but didn’t sustain. Spell at Raith the only genuine issue?
    Spells at Raith, Hibs & Hartlepool were horrendous. Lost the fans and the dressing room at all 3. Magic.

Get Billy Davies in pronto. Yogi would give me the fear.

Seemed to start well at hibs and Hartlepool. Must have petered out - canít really remember!

Bookies stopped taking bets

I doubt we've even interviewed anyone at this juncture

Davies and Lambert are the stand out names but we've zero chance of getting either IMO.

I reckon its one of McIntyre Hughes or Stubbs.......

Quote Originally Posted by antoinepreget View Post
    Seemed to start well at hibs and Hartlepool. Must have petered out - canít really remember!
    I like Hughes, he's a character as well, but what on earth happened at Raith Rovers?
    He'd be there still if they hadn't been relegated under him, he took them from 7th to 9th and then lost to Brechin over two legs.
    Disaster!
    What do you call it in the corporate world when you appoint a ceo on a short term basis, crisis management or something?
    We're needing that sort of thing, a troubleshooter who rides in, gets us up, then rides off & we then take time to appoint the next permanent manager to guide us to top six Prem.
    I wonder if that Hotel Inspector woman knows anything about football? Doubt it and she's a pain in the jacksy anyway.

P.S. Billy Dodds on his own anybody...?

Quote Originally Posted by dundeeunitedfc83 View Post
    Bookies stopped taking bets
    Would suggest that's because they are taking bets on a market that doesn't actually exist (yet?) - not sure on the legalities of that.

Quote Originally Posted by the baldy snake View Post
    Would suggest that's because they are taking bets on a market that doesn't actually exist (yet?) - not sure on the legalities of that.
    It's legal. There's a book on Manchester United's next manager.

Quote Originally Posted by the baldy snake View Post
    They were taking bets yesterday, McIntyre odds drifted to 4/1 and John Hughes went to 8/11

When you read through all the various threads since the weekend, one thing is abundantly clear; there is no one viable candidate that will unify all the support behind them. If you go for experience then you have to accept that there will be spells that have not been successful in their past. If you want somebody that hasn't had those spells you are realistically looking at a young inexperienced manager. We are a very fractious support, certainly online anyway, at present and whoever is appointed won't instantly change that. I idealistically want somebody who has a different culture to the traditional Scottish manager. However in the short term I can't help but feel we need somebody experienced in this league and this situation to make the most of what we've got. Whoever gets it is going to need support and a degree of time from all those involved at United.

Quote Originally Posted by JuanShoe View Post
    When you read through all the various threads since the weekend, one thing is abundantly clear; there is no one viable candidate that will unify all the support behind them. If you go for experience then you have to accept that there will be spells that have not been successful in their past. If you want somebody that hasn't had those spells you are realistically looking at a young inexperienced manager. We are a very fractious support, certainly online anyway, at present and whoever is appointed won't instantly change that. I idealistically want somebody who has a different culture to the traditional Scottish manager. However in the short term I can't help but feel we need somebody experienced in this league and this situation to make the most of what we've got. Whoever gets it is going to need support and a degree of time from all those involved at United.
    Far too sensible Juan! This is Mad!

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Think you posted Lennon a few times in the past, has he been working since Sint Mrn?
    He was manager at Airdrie for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    He was manager at Airdrie for a while.
    Cheers bud, I do remember him doing very well at St Mirren, and you're right, they went tits after he was sacked - until Ross

He was also at Alloa where he amassed 5 points from 16 games and was sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    He was also at Alloa where he amassed 5 points from 16 games and was sacked.
    Sounds like just the man for ST then

First post in an awfa long time, so I'll try to be as positive as possible...!

I think what's obvious reading everyone's posts is that there no consensus. I also think what is blindingly obvious is that we all need to get behind the new man - no matter who that may be! Whoever it is has one aim for the next 7 months & they will be judged by May. I think it's massively important that the club only appoints until the end of the season, but with the incentive of a 1-year rolling contract if we go up as champions.

It's interesting looking at views over track records. I reckon the last 10 managers to win the Championship (First Division) are below & in reverse order:

Neil Lennon
    Mark Warburton
    Robbie Neilson
    Barry Smith
    Alan Archibald (Jackie McNamara)
    Derek Adams
    Jim McIntyre
    Terry Butcher
    Derek McInnes
    Billy Reid

The only one in that list who hasn't 'failed' at any club as yet is Archibald. 7 are in work by my reckoning (although hang about a couple of weeks & Derek Adams might not be), so those available are Billy Reid (the anti football), Terry Butcher & Jim McIntyre - the most recent First Division winner. Given Butcher & Jimmy's previous association with United, that would leave us with BR!!!

I don't think the list of candidates with experience is littered with stand-outs!

Whoever the new man, every one of us has a duty to get behind them. If we beat Dumbarton & then win at home to St Mirren, we'll be no worse than 2 points off the top. That being said, had we won the last 2, we would be top & not in this mess!

Surely got to be someone with experience of being at a big club. John Hughes has vast experience of Scotland. Shame Coyle wasnít available - another with Scottish experience. No one else really stands out although Hughes doesnít exactly either. Billy Davies has the best record of anyone who is available and remotely plausible although he has said he wouldnít manage a club like United.

Getting behind whoever it is is a must. Seems to me like someone like Hughes has the ability to give people a lift. Even if it isnít for the long term given his recent records

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmntr View Post
    First post in an awfa long time, so I'll try to be as positive as possible...!

I think what's obvious reading everyone's posts is that there no consensus. I also think what is blindingly obvious is that we all need to get behind the new man - no matter who that may be! Whoever it is has one aim for the next 7 months & they will be judged by May. I think it's massively important that the club only appoints until the end of the season, but with the incentive of a 1-year rolling contract if we go up as champions.

It's interesting looking at views over track records. I reckon the last 10 managers to win the Championship (First Division) are below & in reverse order:

Neil Lennon
    Mark Warburton
    Robbie Neilson
    Barry Smith
    Alan Archibald (Jackie McNamara)
    Derek Adams
    Jim McIntyre
    Terry Butcher
    Derek McInnes
    Billy Reid

The only one in that list who hasn't 'failed' at any club as yet is Archibald. 7 are in work by my reckoning (although hang about a couple of weeks & Derek Adams might not be), so those available are Billy Reid (the anti football), Terry Butcher & Jim McIntyre - the most recent First Division winner. Given Butcher & Jimmy's previous association with United, that would leave us with BR!!!

I don't think the list of candidates with experience is littered with stand-outs!

Whoever the new man, every one of us has a duty to get behind them. If we beat Dumbarton & then win at home to St Mirren, we'll be no worse than 2 points off the top. That being said, had we won the last 2, we would be top & not in this mess!
    gd pst xtrmntr y shld pst mr ftn

If it was up to me and money was no object i would go for Jack Ross,it would be taking away the biggest threat to our promotion hopes and knock the stuffing out of ST FN Mirren.I have to be realistic though we cannie afford him and if DFC were not for him them i doubt if we are either.
    This in my opinion leaves us appointing an out of work manager who has recently been sacked,so if its between McIntyre,Hughes or Stubbs i would choose the latter,he took an impossible job in England just as McInnes did a few years ago.The vast majority of Ross County fans wanted rid of Jim and Billy,Yogi lost the dressing room at Raith and McKinnon did a better job than him at Starks Park.If Stubbs had stayed at Easter Road he would have taken them up and i reckon he is the man we should go for.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast