+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's your choice?

Although Ray had to go due to the brutal fayre on the pitch i honestly cannie trust the chairman to make the right appointment.Although i disagreed with Shedka who thought the manager should have got longer i would rather have kept McKinnon IF his replacement was to be either Hughes or McIntyre.
    I hope and pray i am wrong but replacing Ray with Yogi could be as bad as replacing Jackie with Mixu,make no mistake about it Hughes relegated Raith they were not in the relegation play off spot when he took over.Ask any Rovers fan who was the better manager between Ray and Yogi and 100% of them will back the former.
    As for McIntyre he was backed with big money out of McGregor's own pocket along the lines of the Gretna model,Ross County punched above their weight because of their multi millionaire chairman,it was not down to Jim and Doddsie's tactical nouse,remember Rowan Alexander at Gretna?,he took them all the way to the big time backed by a benefactor but he has never had a top level manager's job since.

Quote Originally Posted by FTD1983 View Post
    The squad is nowhere near premiership standard...

I'm trying to think of one player in our squad who's most recent experience of the top flight has been regular games and no relegation - I'm coming up short.

Skippy and maybe Scobbie probably the only ones and they are a spent force at that level - hence the drop in league.

Who's played top flight?

Toshney - not for years - championship player

Durnan - 1 season - utter failure. Relegated.

Flood - Ancient, finished at a decent level. Last spell - Relegated.

King - Hopeless - Relegated twice. (Hearts & Caley)

Fraser - 1 season - utter failure - relegated.

Fyvie - once upon a time - not played prem for 5 years. championship jobber now. 3rd consecutive season down here.

Scobbie - substitute at that level for years, old and crocked, past it.

Quinn- finished at that level. Struggles at ours...

Skippy - spent force at top flight level.

Murdoch - squad player - released by County when they were poor.

Thinking logically - which of the above players, if they were available tomorrow, would go to a premiership club and get a regular start?

0 in my opinion.

We need to stop this pish about how good our club/squad etc is, face reality and say we are in a bit of a nick and need a manager to come in, get the current squad performing to its theoretical level (a top level championship squad - not a premiership squad) then improve and build on that to take us up and keep us up.
    Sobering post mate,you forgot big Wullie who would be roasted alive in the Premiership,couldna handle the Dees who have managed 11 goals in 11 games in the league and from what i have witnessed(very little to be honest) throw in Robson too,he may come good but at the moment he does not look good enough for the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    50 applicants doesn't particularly mean creditable applicants. could be 50 people sending in a CV as a wind-up. i always think that these numbers are doubled to give impression the job is more attractive that it is.
    I'm hearing it's now 51 applications with the most recent arriving via email just after 2pm today

Quote Originally Posted by ahlltanyirhide View Post
    I'm hearing it's now 51 applications with the most recent arriving via email just after 2pm today
    Phew, I'm glad to hear that. I thought I had missed the cut off time!

Appointing a new manager is always a gamble - no matter what their previous track record, it's always a risk.

Personally, I am hoping for a surprise appointment of a manager with a decent track record whose name has not yet been mentioned.

The short term remit for the new manager is to win the league.

Perhaps it will be a short term appointment until the end of the season.

We will all know soon(ish).

Quote Originally Posted by USArab View Post
    While it’s important to get someone in fairly quickly it needs to be the right man for the job right now. United can’t afford to remain in the championship for another season, it would finish the club off.

I hope ST doesn’t scrimp on this!
    Agree US, it's now or never...

Quote Originally Posted by FTD1983 View Post
    The squad is nowhere near premiership standard...

I'm trying to think of one player in our squad who's most recent experience of the top flight has been regular games and no relegation - I'm coming up short.

Skippy and maybe Scobbie probably the only ones and they are a spent force at that level - hence the drop in league.

Who's played top flight?

Toshney - not for years - championship player

Durnan - 1 season - utter failure. Relegated.

Flood - Ancient, finished at a decent level. Last spell - Relegated.

King - Hopeless - Relegated twice. (Hearts & Caley)

Fraser - 1 season - utter failure - relegated.

Fyvie - once upon a time - not played prem for 5 years. championship jobber now. 3rd consecutive season down here.

Scobbie - substitute at that level for years, old and crocked, past it.

Quinn- finished at that level. Struggles at ours...

Skippy - spent force at top flight level.

Murdoch - squad player - released by County when they were poor.

Thinking logically - which of the above players, if they were available tomorrow, would go to a premiership club and get a regular start?

0 in my opinion.

We need to stop this pish about how good our club/squad etc is, face reality and say we are in a bit of a nick and need a manager to come in, get the current squad performing to its theoretical level (a top level championship squad - not a premiership squad) then improve and build on that to take us up and keep us up.
    Part of me agrees with this but part of me thinks its harsh.

If we get a manager that can get us up then the only player we should try to keep(back on loan) is the young goalie. The rest can all go imo, not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    If we get a manager that can get us up then the only player we should try to keep(back on loan) is the young goalie. The rest can all go imo, not good enough.
    Unless there is a dramatic improvement in not just ability, but also work rate and a desire to win, then you may be spot on Whitters. However, if we do go up there will be loads of decent players clamouring to get on board the Arab express

I think its already a big ask for any appointee.

Its almost like another pre season and the other teams are already out of the blocks.

Whatever we cant afford to let the gap grow further.

Otherwise its the playoffs again and hoping the dirty Dees are there for us.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)