+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Burton’s Troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Salopian0 View Post
    Good points there ma. Mel was keen on bringing on the academy from his start and I believe part of the fallout with Clement was in the fact that when fozzy was injured Clement wanted to spend 2mill on Olsen and MM quite rightly thought lowe should be given a chance.Part of the problem is that if money is tight you are pushed into using youth but when mels money became available we abandoned youth and tried to short cut promotion
    Spending money on players also gives you the sign that the youth players that Rowett has put in are not doing enough to impress so we have to spend to get a player in who will impress for us it’s just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DerbyDaDream View Post
    Spending money on players also gives you the sign that the youth players that Rowett has put in are not doing enough to impress so we have to spend to get a player in who will impress for us it’s just the way it is.
    Interesting. Not sure what youth players Rowett has tried other than Bennett who was doing o.k when he got injured. ( bird off the bench in carabao). Do you think Olsen better than Lowe

Look at why they haven't been given lengthy runs in the main.

Hanson - injuries. Lowe - injuries. Bird - only reached the edge of the squad and is only 17 so none of those 3 can be considered perennial failures.

Bennett is another matter and, on the face of it DDD is right, he looks like a perennial failure. However, does that stand up to scrutiny? Not in my opinion. He has had to deal with a few injuries down the years. He has had to deal with what I earlier described as "growing pains". Once his daughter was born he seemed to "find himself" and is in a much happier "place" and that shows. Following another injury he cemented a place in the U23s last season at the ripe old age of 20 (he is now 21). He made his mind up to get stuck in and fight for a place in the 1st team. He impressed GR in training in pre season. He impressed GR in his appearances in pre season friendlies. I saw all of the games either live or on Rams TV replay and he was, IMO, along with Weimann, the best wide player on that basis. I would have started with those two. GR went for JR rather than Mason. JR went off the boil. After a couple of sub appearances and EFL Cup starts in which he played well, he finally got a League start ahead of JR. Unfortunately that lasted 12 minutes when he injured himself tackling back. He will get more chances this season once fit.

As far as the Rams are concerned, I believe this season is last chance saloon for Mason. If he doesn't cement a regular matchday squad place this season I see him moving on.

Again, as others have also said, all too often, managers have brought new players in rather than blood some of our youngsters. You can't lay that at the youngster's feet.

DDD wrote.................

You can put any manager in charge of any club and put any youth player in your team and see how he performs with the senior squad if he performs exceptionally well and manages to keep one of the senior players out then we have a breakout star and he is good enough to become a senior player himself and is a successful academy graduate.

Yes, you can, however, the players I mentioned haven't had a proper chance yet and most of the reasons are down to managers not being prepared to gamble on them. Bird is 17 and only got to the fringes this season but did well when called upon. DDD sees it differently, is what I understand from what he has written. His opinion and he is entitled to it and entitled to express that.
    Last edited by MadAmster; 27-10-2017 at 10:23 AM.

DDD. You compared mason to Nugent .vydra. and martin. I think he started out as a striker but with the emergence of this new single striker 3 attacking midfielders formation he has developed into a good player for this position as Rowett likes his wider players to work hard which Mason does. As madamster said he had a great season u23 and deserves his chance when fit

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Look at why they haven't been given lengthy runs in the main.

Hanson - injuries. Lowe - injuries. Bird - only reached the edge of the squad and is only 17 so none of those 3 can be considered perennial failures.

Bennett is another matter and, on the face of it DDD is right, he looks like a perennial failure. However, does that stand up to scrutiny? Not in my opinion. He has had to deal with a few injuries down the years. He has had to deal with what I earlier described as "growing pains". Once his daughter was born he seemed to "find himself" and is in a much happier "place" and that shows. Following another injury he cemented a place in the U23s last season at the ripe old age of 20 (he is now 21). He made his mind up to get stuck in and fight for a place in the 1st team. He impressed GR in training in pre season. He impressed GR in his appearances in pre season friendlies. I saw all of the games either live or on Rams TV replay and he was, IMO, along with Weimann, the best wide player on that basis. I would have started with those two. GR went for JR rather than Mason. JR went off the boil. After a couple of sub appearances and EFL Cup starts in which he played well, he finally got a League start ahead of JR. Unfortunately that lasted 12 minutes when he injured himself tackling back. He will get more chances this season once fit.

As far as the Rams are concerned, I believe this season is last chance saloon for Mason. If he doesn't cement a regular matchday squad place this season I see him moving on.

Again, as others have also said, all too often, managers have brought new players in rather than blood some of our youngsters. You can't lay that at the youngster's feet.

DDD wrote.................

You can put any manager in charge of any club and put any youth player in your team and see how he performs with the senior squad if he performs exceptionally well and manages to keep one of the senior players out then we have a breakout star and he is good enough to become a senior player himself and is a successful academy graduate.

Yes, you can, however, the players I mentioned haven't had a proper chance yet and most of the reasons are down to managers not being prepared to gamble on them. Bird is 17 and only got to the fringes this season but did well when called upon. DDD sees it differently, is what I understand from what he has written. His opinion and he is entitled to it and entitled to express that.
    Even when Bennett is fit he struggled to get in the first team, Rowett can keep putting him in the squad as well as the rest but at the end of the day you don’t show enough end product despite wether you are fit or not you either good enough to be a first team regular or you aren't.

Last Chance Saloon is a funny old term we said that about most of these senior players but they are still here today and they still fighting for their place so that term is not living up to the bill so far.

Mangers are not willing to take the gamble of using their youth players then they shouldn’t be in management simple as that, it shows a lack of creativity and ideas and making do with what squad you have got at your disposal and expanding your horizons. Managers need to show more ambition and take more ***** risks under their helm.

DDD. You compared mason to Nugent .vydra. and martin. I think he started out as a striker but with the emergence of this new single striker 3 attacking midfielders formation he has developed into a good player for this position as Rowett likes his wider players to work hard which Mason does. As madamster said he had a great season u23 and deserves his chance when fit
    If he turned out to be a good player then he should be in the first team squad now depsite wether he has been injury prone or not you are either a breakout star or you are not.

Quote Originally Posted by DerbyDaDream View Post
    If he turned out to be a good player then he should be in the first team squad now depsite wether he has been injury prone or not you are either a breakout star or you are not.
    So are you saying you don't think mason is good enough to be in the first team when he is fit

So are you saying you don't think mason is good enough to be in the first team when he is fit
    If you can’t stay in the first team you doing something wrong to not make the manager pick you for the team selection and that is the problem with Mason and the same goes with the rest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)