+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brewster's Millions.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    I think to put this into some perspective. Mali were one of the other semi finalists.
    Reaching one youth competition final is certainly not anything to get too excited about, but England have reached 5 this year (U-17 Euros, U-17 World Cup, U-19 Euros, U-20 World Cup, Toulouse Tournament), plus an U-21 semi-final, so some cautious optimism that the FA are finally doing something right is justified.

It's certain that some of these players won't progress, but you'd hope that with the sheer quantity of talented youngsters now coming through, more will get chances at the top teams.

Our coaching and results driven PL mean most will never play in the PL let alone at full international level.

Of the England 2007 side (21 players), 6 are plying their in the non league and only 4 are at premier league clubs.
    For years, the selection process for the young age squads seemed to be fastest, biggest and strongest and epitomised the 'win at all costs' mentality that's held this country back for so long (even this summer, many people, including our own chairman, were clamouring for Harry Kane and Raheem Stirling to go to the u-21 tournament as overage players - astounding), while maybe Spain, France, Italy etc went for the most technical. If that's finally changing and technical players are coming through , all the better for England's long term prospects.

You have to be careful about playing young players to much and to soon, their bodies are still developing at 18. Owen was a prime example, a star at 18 and injured and struggling a few years later. I think Utd are handling Rashford very well.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    You have to be careful about playing young players to much and to soon, their bodies are still developing at 18. Owen was a prime example, a star at 18 and injured and struggling a few years later. I think Utd are handling Rashford very well.
    Rooney is similar in that his best years were a lot earlier than what most people consider to be the "prime age" for a striker and it's been all downhill since.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    Reaching one youth competition final is certainly not anything to get too excited about, but England have reached 5 this year (U-17 Euros, U-17 World Cup, U-19 Euros, U-20 World Cup, Toulouse Tournament), plus an U-21 semi-final, so some cautious optimism that the FA are finally doing something right is justified.

It's certain that some of these players won't progress, but you'd hope that with the sheer quantity of talented youngsters now coming through, more will get chances at the top teams.
    Depends if they get their chance mate. I wonder what the stats are on youth players making their debuts for the first team since the greed league began?

No one guess the two Notts players from the 2007 u17 World Cup?

No one guess the two Notts players from the 2007 u17 World Cup?
    Krystian Pearce and Michael Woods. I love Google.

It is. A quick google gave me the answer to my previous query. For the 2016/17 season there were 500 registered players in the 25 man squads for the premier league teams at the start of the season.

How many of them were from their academies? (That includes all nationalities not just England)

28 of 500. That in itself tells a tale, and those are just squad players.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12