+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: o/t need to rant

I'm out of step on cars, travel and tourism. The deleterious impact of all three is rarely acknowledged. My main interests are in old towns, ancient sites and AONBs. The car has been a curse to all three. Sites like the Valley of the Kings, Stonehenge, Venice and many many others have been all but destroyed by gawpers, beautiful medieval towns have had streets widened and buildings demolished to provide parking, we grow obese, the young and the elderly are poisoned by fumes and nowadays nowhere is worth visiting in the minds of the mob unless it entails a long drive. And all this is in service of a myth, an American dream, that in our cars we have autonomy and control and certainty that the end of the rainbow is just another drive away.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    I'm out of step on cars, travel and tourism. The deleterious impact of all three is rarely acknowledged. My main interests are in old towns, ancient sites and AONBs. The car has been a curse to all three. Sites like the Valley of the Kings, Stonehenge, Venice and many many others have been all but destroyed by gawpers, beautiful medieval towns have had streets widened and buildings demolished to provide parking, we grow obese, the young and the elderly are poisoned by fumes and nowadays nowhere is worth visiting in the minds of the mob unless it entails a long drive. And all this is in service of a myth, an American dream, that in our cars we have autonomy and control and certainty that the end of the rainbow is just another drive away.
    Not just a stalker then Monty, kind of agree with the sentiments there, though i offer no alternative at this point.

I bought an old Peugeot J7 a couple of years back hoping to one day turn it into a camper van. In this last 12 months or so I have been able to do something with it.
    Me and the Mrs drove up a part of the Dordogne valley yesterday after a night of camping at a Collonges-la-Rouge.
    It goes 80kpm down hill, 70 ont flat and 50 up hill. It has no power stearing and only 5 fuses.

It is Brilliant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I bought an old Peugeot J7 a couple of years back hoping to one day turn it into a camper van. In this last 12 months or so I have been able to do something with it.
    Me and the Mrs drove up a part of the Dordogne valley yesterday after a night of camping at a Collonges-la-Rouge.
    It goes 80kpm down hill, 70 ont flat and 50 up hill. It has no power stearing and only 5 fuses.

It is Brilliant!!!
    Name:  IMG_20171026_105245.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  103.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by frogmiller; 27-10-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Once had a car smashed up whilst i wasn`t even in it. I was parked in the car park at work and a mobile crane managed to hook the rear bumper of my car without the driver noticing. As he drove off it dragged my car out of its parking space and smashed it into a 3 week old Audi and another car as well. Fortunately it was captured on CCTV so i got my car replaced but was still stung on insurance renewal for the next five years!

Just pulled up at caravan .
    Millions on the east coast . two scrotes on bikes fkn about crashed into my car .
    Only 9000 on it . bell fkn ends

Not surprised you’re annoyed Crash - share you’re pain at this moment in time mate

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Saw Miller I feel your anger.....

Not new like yours, but I once owned a gleaming Lexus is200 sports, my pride and joy.

Had the car almost 8 years and cherished it deeply. Coming up to 70000 mikes I had a full service completed at Lexus Sheffield.

Such was the great condition of the car, the mechanic came into the showroom where I was and asked the general manager to come and see my car. I thought there was something badly wrong.

Turns out the mechanic couldn’t believe the beautiful condition of the car ‘under the bonnet’ never mind the outside. I explained that I cleaned the car thoroughly every two weeks under the bonnet. Some might think that’s weird but to car loving enthusiasts it’s the norm.

Car returned, I’m highly pleased it really is in tip top condition. A few days later on my way to work I’m stood at a junction waiting to turn, left indicator on.

It’s a cold icy frosty morning and some dick head thinks he’ll rub a circle in his windscreen because he’s late for work and sets off. In no time at all his windscreen froze over and Bham! hits me at 40 mph from behind thinking he’s not yet reached the junction.

My pride and joy crunched like a can. Needless to say I expected it being written off. Due to the superb condition of the car they actually repaired it but it never felt the same again so I sold it with a heavy heart.

Some might think cars are a materialistic thing but that particular one meant an awful lot to me.

Anyone ever treasured a car?

NB Hope it all gets sorted quickly for you.
    If you need legal advice see Mark Thomas off this site. Dealt with my Daughter’s claim with finesse.
    70000 miles
    Needed scrapping anyway

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    70000 miles
    Needed scrapping anyway
    If you’d have seen it you wouldn’t be saying that.... a prime example of how a car should be looked after. Straight V6 it would have pissed 150,000

I would never buy a posh new car because you know its only a matter of time still some twa t wrecks/ bumps/ nicks it. It would be nice to think you could have a possession that will be your pride and joy but in this day and age you know its pointless thinking like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12