+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T Were Def Leppard any good or just a 2nd rate Bon Jovi?

As a 'mod' i always used to look upon the 'rockers' at the school disco as scruffs, and their music as just noise really, didn't get it at all, i've come to appreciate it much more later in life for the obvious talent of the genre, i couldn't pick a favourite though, having said that, give me The Jam over any of them, any day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    As it happens I heard a live version of the song Bringing on the Heartbreak today on planet rock. It made me wanted to explore Def Leppard a bit more.
    Apparently the two albums before Hysteria are not as poppy and over-produced, may have misjudged them a bit.

Saw them on debut album at Chesterfield on through the night tour you could tell they were class.

i wouldnt mind being a fiver behind em..

I love rock in so many forms but DL to me are a tepid, banal and if they were a colour, Beige. Made for the American stadium rock circuit , Bon Jovi, well as described earlier but the original crap American Arena rock.

When I was a kid I stayed on the same caravan site in Cleethorpes as Joe Elliot's Mum (and Dad I think), might have had a lot of money but still had simple tastes.

I saw Def Leppard in '92 at the Sheffield Arena, in the round and that pretty much describes the experience very well Gwyther.
    Despite them throwing everything at it, it seemed to lack genuine passion and was a bit by numbers.
    I've seen hundreds of gigs across many, many different genres and that was the first time I'd ever left early (only done it once since as far as I remember) we went for a drink in the pub opposite the arena and we weren't the only ones who seemed to have come out of the concert or the last.
    I liked Hysteria the album at the time, but not listened to it for years. Same with Bon Jovi, never seen them live, but liked quite a bit of there mid to late '80s stuff, but find it hard to listen to now.

I always lump DL in the spandex rock brigade. Motley Crew, Poison, etc.
    A phenomenon of the 80's and 90's guitar gymnastics, when everything was flash and brash.
    Bon Jovi, more in the glam rock genre. Pretty boys, who captured the female vote.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123