+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Midfield options

Midfield options

Midfield options

Not criticising any of our players but suggest we have better sat on the bench for some positions.
    Tactically our mid-field were the poorer yesterday with exception of Campbell who really impresses.
    McHugh often caught on the ball and Rose runs around man marking, weak in the tackle and poor in the air.
    IMO both Grimshaw and Bigirmana would offer more in the middle than McHugh and Rose and have latter pair on the bench.

Overall I agree but Campbell was anonymous in the first half and was bullied. Grimshaw would have been a better option as you say.

Campbell has by and large done very well so far - he's young and will have off days but he's basically first choice.

McHugh is fairly limited but clearly brings certain defensive qualities and leadership, hence the captaincy. It's highly unlikely he'll get dropped any time soon.

That leaves one spot free in our current system. Rose - on a good day, when we win - is essentially there as a blocker who runs a lot, fights, chases second balls etc...useful attributes sure but hardly glamorous even when successful. And when it's not, he gives the impression of being a man short, even though it's hardly his limitations which tipped the game against us.

Grimshaw is simply back-up for the first pair.

Bigi is the one for me that seems a shame...he is the best ball player of the bunch and I find it disappointing we can't find a way of regularly using him from the start.

But ultimately it's about results and the three workers of Campbell, McHugh and Rose have generally done the job in our recent good run. For the cup final the big decision is whether it's worth sacrificing a defensive worker for a ball player. We'll be a bit weaker when defending but with better ball possession should be under pressure less...

However, ultimately I think it's a pub argument and nothing more. We could pick the best 11 for the day, the best tactics, have the best attitude, play to the best of our ability and it's still quite feasible we'll be well beaten 3-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Campbell has by and large done very well so far - he's young and will have off days but he's basically first choice.

McHugh is fairly limited but clearly brings certain defensive qualities and leadership, hence the captaincy. It's highly unlikely he'll get dropped any time soon.

That leaves one spot free in our current system. Rose - on a good day, when we win - is essentially there as a blocker who runs a lot, fights, chases second balls etc...useful attributes sure but hardly glamorous even when successful. And when it's not, he gives the impression of being a man short, even though it's hardly his limitations which tipped the game against us.

Grimshaw is simply back-up for the first pair.

Bigi is the one for me that seems a shame...he is the best ball player of the bunch and I find it disappointing we can't find a way of regularly using him from the start.

But ultimately it's about results and the three workers of Campbell, McHugh and Rose have generally done the job in our recent good run. For the cup final the big decision is whether it's worth sacrificing a defensive worker for a ball player. We'll be a bit weaker when defending but with better ball possession should be under pressure less...

However, ultimately I think it's a pub argument and nothing more. We could pick the best 11 for the day, the best tactics, have the best attitude, play to the best of our ability and it's still quite feasible we'll be well beaten 3-0.
    The back up as you put it is better than the first choice. We are in danger of burning out young Campbell.

Each to their own.

Agree we need to pick and choose when to rest him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Each to their own.

Agree we need to pick and choose when to rest him though.
    Some important managerial decisions coming up. A fresh Campbell will be needed in the final. And I wonder where we are on yellow cards? I'm totally biased, of course, but it seems to me that the media obsession with our 'physicality' is having an effect; other teams are getting free kicks from '50 - 50' or 'six of one and half-a-dozen' of the other tackles. With two away games before the final the manager will need to have a good think about our line-ups. Another couple of yellows we could do without. We need to be fully loaded for the final - especially since the Celtic manager has made a point of commenting on the Bowman incident, thereby reminding the ref who to look out for.
    P.S. The fact is that we're not the worst for getting yellow cards, but I fear that an impression which is not doing us any favours has been created.

IMO and only IMO I would rest Campbell,Cadden and possibly Moult before the final. Against Ross County and Aberdeen I would start with the following CARSON
    KIPRE. McHUGH HARTLEY. HAMMEL or DUNNE

TAIT. GRIMSHAW. BIGIRIMANA. FREAR or PETRAVICIUS

TANNER. BOWMAN.

Yeah, we're definitely in need of some good PR...perhaps our new comms manager will sort that!

We'll only lose players to suspension for the final if they commit violent conduct so we should really be fine in that regard.

A bit of cautious rotation is understandable but I think it's more important we're confident going into it...McCall completely buggered the run-up in 2011.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)