+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stevie May

Stevie May

As our main striker yesterday, why was he involved with taking corners. Surely we need him in the box to get headers on target or pick loose balls in the box? Not sure about McInnes logic there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougvierocks View Post
    As our main striker yesterday, why was he involved with taking corners. Surely we need him in the box to get headers on target or pick loose balls in the box? Not sure about McInnes logic there.
    Also, why do two players stand at the corner flag sometimes when only one takes the corner. Never understood that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougvierocks View Post
    Because we don’t have a right footed player in the front 6 if Tansey isn’t playing.
    Maybe Scott Wright but McLean, Christie, GMS, Stewart are all lefties.

It's not unusual. The thumb takes them for the manky mob. The farts centre half Souttar takes theirs, from both sides I've noticed, which is even more of a loss you can argue.

I like 2 players at the corner flag for our corners. It means the other team lose 2 players from the box, as 2 of theirs always have to go out to defend it in case we take it short. If only one player is taking the corner, they don't need to send anyone. So we effectively lose one player, they lose 2. Not sure why we sometimes do it at free kicks though.

What does the mystery semaphore signal mean before they cross ?
    It seems to consist of only one variation,
    cant be much of a secret as it seems to be universal now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogsred View Post
    Also, why do two players stand at the corner flag sometimes when only one takes the corner. Never understood that one.
    Having a second person show or be near the corner flag draws two defenders out to protect against a short corner.
    If you didn’t do it , they would have two more defenders in the box.
    It also creates more space in the box to attack as opposed to being blocked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
    What does the mystery semaphore signal mean before they cross ?
    It seems to consist of only one variation,
    cant be much of a secret as it seems to be universal now.
    I think this is a timing thing.
    Start of the signal, means the start of a count (in the head) of where to be to meet the anticipated cross.

While I understand the logic of it I find it utterly pointless as it has rarely made any difference that I can remember.

As far as May taking the corners. He be as well as he is not having much impact in the box. Says a lot when Maynard made a bigger difference when he came on and he has hardly set the heather alight. To be fair he was actually decent yesterday.

Bring back Ebbes corners

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Having a second person show or be near the corner flag draws two defenders out to protect against a short corner.
    If you didn’t do it , they would have two more defenders in the box.
    It also creates more space in the box to attack as opposed to being blocked off.
    I can see the logic in that but if you have two players at the corner flag then it means one less in the middle just outside the box for example to pick up loose or cleared balls. I still have doubts that it gives any advantage. It also means one less of our team to deal with any breakaway counter attack after the corner.

to draw out at least one of their defenders and create space in the penalty box

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast