+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: With our current squad

Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    Well Mike if you are going to base your current knowledge of the team on McGarry And Morse`s comments you really are not going to know much about the teamss. you can get so many splinters from sitting on that wooden fence.

The one I love best is "well pete what do you think of the team selection?".

"No surprises for me there, Graham. He has selected our best team"

Is he aware that we keep losing matches, and that we look totally unbalanced and playing awful?

Wonder if he will say the same on Saturday, now that we are 3 points away from the relegation zone?

Do they actually get paid for that? LOL
    To put the record straight mr Mcgarry was a stokie in his time in Crewe works, So his interest in Crewe Alexandra probably has something to do with his pay packet.

What i would enjoy would be having that Scottish man who used to be second comment on Vale games. Wpuld be interesting to hear his comments if he was covering Crewe games. At least he called a spade a spade, and was not adverse to criticising Vale if he felt it was called for.

Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    What i would enjoy would be having that Scottish man who used to be second comment on Vale games. Wpuld be interesting to hear his comments if he was covering Crewe games. At least he called a spade a spade, and was not adverse to criticising Vale if he felt it was called for.
    Do you mean Mick Cullerton?

I had a couple of conversations with him when I saw him at the top of the main stand helping the commentary. Some here won't like his views though as he said the academy was way past its sell by date and all it achieved was playing men against boys and young kids that was OK sometimes but was no good against seasoned Pro's in the lower leagues. That was when we were in L1 if I recall.

Mcgarry as the Sports Editor could do the PL if he wanted or even Port Vale but he chooses CAFC. You could ask him why next time you are at a game? Fans that don't or can't get to the games have no other choice commentary wise unless paying gets you someone else? He does get things wrong especially when he shouts GOAL! when its not and won't ask the really tough questions of the manager but then no commentators do that in any league as they then are banned from doing any interviews. I like him and he is getting on a bit now and so don't know who will replace him as his enthusiasm comes across for listeners which isn't there when others step in sometimes.

I don't want to pay the high gate prices anyway because for what is essentially the bottom league its pretty disgraceful.

A tenner is too much when compared with other forms of entertainment but over 20 quid is taking the preverbials... Even allowing for concession pricing.

Its just me I think but I have never been interested in watching youth football except when I was playing myself at that age. I'm the same with golf and other sports though. Money has ruined the lot, imo!

[QUOTE=MikeSB;38693882]

"I don't want to pay the high gate prices anyway because for what is essentially the bottom league its pretty disgraceful.

A tenner is too much when compared with other forms of entertainment but over 20 quid is taking the preverbials... Even allowing for concession pricing."

I think you will find, Mike, that a tenner might just about get you in at Nantwich. Crewe's prices are pretty comparable with other clubs in the lower leagues. And frankly, it costs similar to go to the theatre and other forms of live entertainment. I am afraid the price doesn't guarantee a good game or result. It guarantees a game. We pay to watch the team regardless of the result. Yes, it is better if we win.

[QUOTE=Timmy58;38694007]
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post

"I don't want to pay the high gate prices anyway because for what is essentially the bottom league its pretty disgraceful.

A tenner is too much when compared with other forms of entertainment but over 20 quid is taking the preverbials... Even allowing for concession pricing."

I think you will find, Mike, that a tenner might just about get you in at Nantwich. Crewe's prices are pretty comparable with other clubs in the lower leagues. And frankly, it costs similar to go to the theatre and other forms of live entertainment. I am afraid the price doesn't guarantee a good game or result. It guarantees a game. We pay to watch the team regardless of the result. Yes, it is better if we win.
    Nice one Tim

[QUOTE=Timmy58;38694007]
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post

Of course that is correct and it is comparable and competitive with other football clubs. Other forms of entertainment can cost less and be more enjoyable and we know its difficult to get fans back again once they have left. I wouldn't pay ten pounds or even five pounds to watch Nantwich!

I think ten pounds for L2 without concessions is about the right sort of price just in my opinion though. It would mean less money for the academy and less for the players but even so just compare that to most 21 year old wages outside of football and it is a lot still. I bet most would struggle to get 15-20 grand a year? Of course its why most players are looking for the next move and ours are no different.

[QUOTE=MikeSB;38694206]
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post

Of course that is correct and it is comparable and competitive with other football clubs. Other forms of entertainment can cost less and be more enjoyable and we know its difficult to get fans back again once they have left. I wouldn't pay ten pounds or even five pounds to watch Nantwich!

I think ten pounds for L2 without concessions is about the right sort of price just in my opinion though. It would mean less money for the academy and less for the players but even so just compare that to most 21 year old wages outside of football and it is a lot still. I bet most would struggle to get 15-20 grand a year? Of course its why most players are looking for the next move and ours are no different.
    You think it okay to be paying the players less than they are on now? You do realise that we would struggle even more to sign decent players. And as for spending less on the Academy. Well combining that with paying players less, I would respectfully suggest that we would very soon be out of business.

I agree. Offering a £10 price of entry might bring some of the disillusioned back to Gresty Road, but it will do little to help the club stay competitive. We would be fielding a team of youngsters in L2 in preparation for the Conference and those attracted back would soon stop coming. Attracting players here is difficult enough without a further self-inflicted blow to the Club's finances. No problem with Crewe's youngsters looking to move upwards provided they put in the effort consistently to warrant it.

I agree with DA that he has a better squad overall than SD had. Even then, I felt that SD was not getting the best out of his squad. DA is guilty of the same thing. It may be that a failure to sign one or two experienced midfielders to replace Bingham and Hollands has meant that a young and relatively inexperienced midfield is being overrun most weeks. There must be a number of players out there still looking for clubs and yet another young loanee is not the long-term answer.

To be fair with team selection we are missing 2 key players (some won't agree) I think DA would have had George Ray along with Raynes and of course we are also missing Jones. I think DA didn't expect either of them out this long. I don't think Jones will be playing till New Year

I'm not saying that we would bring in a tenner a game. I'm suggesting that is what it should be to compare with other entertainment. Also players are paid far too much as a basic principle compared with other jobs and a darn sight easier too. 90 mins a week plus a few half days training for the money they are paid is indefensible but that is and always been my view. I don't expect that to change any time soon as more's the pity as most lower league grounds are mostly half to three quarters empty and so that speaks for itself.

Just to add to Timmy's comment that if we lowered prices we would go out of business? I think you meant we would lose our league status because most clubs remain 'in business' even clubs like Nantwich and clubs like Tranmere, Wrexham and Chester as well and sometimes get higher gates than us and again its a debatable pov that playing these local derby's in non league whilst paying a tenner a game has its advantages and is not the armageddon it suggests..Who really cares about Colchester or Exeter when you can play clubs more local for a similar standard of football and it is a similar standard when we see how we fare against such teams in pre season or in the cup.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast