+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whelan

Whelan

Gonna have to revise my thoughts about him. Apart from a couple of horrendous passes he was quite outstanding today. Chester and Terry must be comfortable with him in front of them. He and Jedi looked good together when we decided to stick with what we had. Whelan took three bad blows to the face from their thugs and just kept coming back.

A worthy performance. Also Terry, Hutton, Chester and Davis very solid.

I've not seen enough games to judge Whelan but I'm glad he's got your approval stateside. I remember people saying we would be to defensive with Jedi and Whelan in the same team but that seems a myth now.

Oh no. We were too defensive with them together, but by then he'd decided to stick with the point.

Fair enough but didn't we look a better side when he came on? Ok I know Davis made a difference as well.

Jedi and Davis will start again Preston, they both did well and almost got us the win!
    Fair play to Whelen for getting g stuck in for the cause but his passing and control is not good enough I'm afraid. To be honest that said I would bolter the midfield for tge Preston game as they will come at us for 90 mins for sure!
    Player to make way, Onomah?

Sounds good to me mate, think Onomah looked a tad bewildered at the weekend. Think we need a bit of flare on the bench tho, a sprinkling of the U23 lads who played so well last night?

Onomah looks good when he gets time on the ball, not a player for the blood and thunder derby games, cut a frustrated figure trying to win back possession. Whelan very combative and will undoubtedly earn himself some hero points with the fans but as already stated the passing isn't good enough (leading to Onomah's frustration).

U23's - great to have these options along with Davis, Jedi, Hogan etc. Going to give Brucie some credit for changing things in this game which gave us more balance and we could've nicked it - the noses would have been apoplectic!

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Onomah looks good when he gets time on the ball, not a player for the blood and thunder derby games, cut a frustrated figure trying to win back possession. Whelan very combative and will undoubtedly earn himself some hero points with the fans but as already stated the passing isn't good enough (leading to Onomah's frustration).

U23's - great to have these options along with Davis, Jedi, Hogan etc. Going to give Brucie some credit for changing things in this game which gave us more balance and we could've nicked it - the noses would have been apoplectic!
    Agree WCV, the changes by SB changed the game. I like Davis, his hold up play and forceful running are superb, but he lashes at the ball in font of goal as if panicked, no composure. I'd be 50/50 for him starting games in the future. O'Hare at No.10 for me with someone with a brain playing in front of him who can make a run or two. Hogan does that all game but the runs never get spotted, constantly making runs, to no avail. Hogan up front with Jack or O'Hare to play him in or leave Hogan out. Kodj don't pass and Davis is a head down battering ram so Hogan is, as he has been, ineffective.

I’d like to see Hogan & O’Hare given the opportunity purely for the reasons stated by Exiled
    Re: Grealish & this will bound to ruffle a few feathers on here
    imo he can’t run,tackle,doesn’t seem to have enough strength for this league in particular & his temperament is suspect ie his sendings off against Wolves for stamping & Forest for a recklessly late tackle some 60 yards from our goal reducing us to 10 men which arguably cost us the game

UTV

Ah, you just don’t get it at all do you Foxy? ALL players who have been out for a while, suddenly become world beaters and all of their past sins and inadequacies are forgotten/forgiven .
    You are of course correct about ‘our Jack’ but my memory is blinded by the fact that he can spot a forward pass. Which is why if played, I would put him at No.10, where he can hurt the opposition. As opposed to a deeper role where he hurts us.
    Your argument against does outweigh my argument for, in the cold light of day. But maybe, just maybe, Jack might step up to what could/should be his last chance to prove himself in a Villa shirt. He can spot a pass, cross a ball and he can shoot from range. That’s 3 positives, two more positives than Hutton, Gabby, Elmo, Whelan and Thor, who whilst give their all, offer nothing else with regards a football brain or skill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)