+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: QPR 1 United 0 - report

QPR 1 United 0 - report

This will not be my most detailed or accurate report as I am typing this on my phone as do not have my laptop with me. On a 3 day break in that, there London that we managed to make such a break coincide with the red and white wizards playing at QPR. So sat in my hotel in typing this
    Apologies for typos there will be quite a few.
    ---
    The Blades’ recent winning run and surge to the top of the league came to an end as they were beaten at Queens Park Rangers on Tuesday evening. After some superb performances and results, it was maybe one game too many as a tired Blades side never quite got going at Loftus Road as the home side made it two impressive wins against high flying sides. A freak early goal from Idrissa Sylla saw off United who did not score for the first time since September 16th against Norwich at Bramall Lane.

Manager Wilder made one enforced change with Lundstram coming in for the suspended Fleck but he also made other tweaks with maybe one eye on Saturday’s game against Hull and the effort the team having put in recent weeks also playing a part. In came Donaldson for Sharp and Brooks for Duffy. Hanson and Stearman were on the bench. There was no place in the match day squad for Jake Wright.

United kicked away from their 1,800+ contingent in the upper tier behind Jamal Blackman’s goal. Rangers flew out of the traps and pinned United back early and had half an opening down the right but even they could not believe their luck when the visiting keeper Blackman made an absolute howler gifting them the lead.

It was an innocuous through ball but the keeper dithered at first but then rose high to take it relatively unchallenged although Carter Vickers was close by but as Blackman landed he fell awkwardly and the ball fell loose. SYLLA simply tapped it in as the keeper lay in a heap on the floor seemingly badly injured. So it proved after over five minutes of treatment he had to leave on a stretcher. It was difficult to tell if it was his shoulder or back but he was clearly in real discomfort. On came Simon Moore for his first appearance of the season. He was given an excellent reception from the visiting fans.

United had not got going but good work on the left saw the ball come over from Coutts but O’Connell fired over with the goal at his mercy. It was a poor miss.

Moore was soon in the action as a poor clearance from Carter Vickers saw Sylla try an audacious lob. The keeper back pedalled and did enough to keep it out as his momentum almost took him over the line.

Washington nearly got in after Baldock dithered and then Freeman had an effort blocked. Rangers were competing and winning a lot of 50/50 balls. They bravely had three up top and the ball over the top turning the United defence was causing problems. United were sloppy in possession and Donaldson and Clarke were too far apart when it went forward. The main threat was from Stevens down the left and he nearly combined twice.

Brooks twice got shoved to the floor but referee Stroud gave nothing and was clearly was giving him no protection at all. Minimal contact the other way was given as the inconsistency was there for all to see.

Stevens did really well and linked with Brookes who put over a great cross but Clarke smashed over. He really should have scored. Indeed as poor as United had been they had missed two great chances.

Sylla had another chance and then Washington almost got in again as United were looking shaky at the back. Still another chance fir United came when Stevens put in a great cross and Clarke was denied at the near post by Smithies.
    Clarke was penalised for the softest push and penalised

The half time whistle came soon after that.

United had lacked fluency first half and a series of giveaways summed u the performance Both Lundstram and Coutts were sloppy in possession and nearly led to Rangers breaking twice. A half chance saw Brooks fire over from the edge of the box but then Freeman and Sylla nearly got in. The latter headed over when well placed after United failed to deal with the cross.

Wilder made his first outfield change with Sharp coming on for the disappointing Donaldson. He was involved instantly when Brooks nutmegged a defender to give Stevens a chance to cross. However Sharp’s shot on the angle lacked power. Luongo fired wide as both teams were now tossing away the ball.

Twice miscommunication saw United give it away and then Coutts also telegraphed two balls but QPR could not capitalise.

Another change came when Baldock pulled up and had to hobble off with Duffy coming on. Basham went to right back and United had a more orthodox 4-4-2. Sharp was played in by Duffy but was adjudged to be offside as Clarke put the ball in the net. Mackie came on for QPR as the game entered the final ten minutes.

United were struggling to create much and Rangers crowded the midfield. United were now starting to run out of ideas with Sharp and Coutts sloppy passes again seeing two attacks break down. Scowen pulled Brooks back and the United man pushed him as he tried to take a quick free kick. The ex Barnsley man went down as if he had been shot. Both players were booked. Brooks had probably had enough of being kicked pillar to post but the referee had not protected him all game.

The referee deemed there would be of four minutes of additional time to be played. Thos after 5 subs and numerous moments of blatant timewasting. United could not fashion any more chances and Rangers defended well and did enough to just about deserve the win.

United – After some terrific performances of late; we were not at it today. We missed Fleck and changed things round a bit and it did not quite work. It happens. Not going to pan the manager or team. How can I? We are still in a great position and go again Saturday.

Our passing, link play and general patterns of football were off. They did press and harry us but we still gave it away so much tonight. QPR won a lot of the loose balls and turned us round often
    They put our defenders under pressure by making them turn the other way. This is something they have not been used to. When we did have it we were too slow to move it and the ball rarely stuck up to with only Clarke a threat all game in this sense.

The players who came in did not really do it but even solid players who are regulars made so many mistakes. We met a side who played very direct and went 3 up top and had a go at us. They could have scored 3 or 4 first half but we missed 2 bad ones too.

Second half I felt we would improve and we had a lot of the ball but cannot recall too many clear chances save for a weak Sharp effort, an offside goal and a speculative Brooks shot. We got into some decent positions but we never got enough crosses in of quality and the final ball was poor.

They got men behind the ball and we looked a bit bereft of ideas. We looked to Brooks and Duffy but even those two were often too far from goal to make anything happen. We did not make their keeper make a save of note all night except a couple of weak efforts from Clarke and Sharp. They actually had far more efforts all game and probably looked more like scoring again than we did of levelling. It sort of petered out in the end and we had no real shaped or pattern as they did enough to break up play and get bodies in the way.

We were not really helped by an awful referee who gave us nothing all night. An assistant who could not wait to get his flag u for offside but missed the ball going out by a yard twice.
    Still to blame officials would be wrong. We met a team who actually got the better of us tactically and even outworked us at times. We could not say we deserved anything really sadly. We now have a few injuries and one potential long term one in Blackman. We have to regroup and get back to standards of previous games. Tonight showed when he changes the side there is a drop off and we need to go back to the same side (Moore apart) that got us getting such good results. Fleck, Duffy and Sharp were badly missed and even though those two came on we were chasing the game.

QPR – Had two tremendous results this week after a very ordinary start to the season. Not far off the bottom places last year and I feared with the debts/players lost; they might get sucked into a relegation scrap. However, Holloway has managed to get those two big results and get them into the top half. Today they played well. They were committed and matched our energy but also looked a goal threat. They were direct and played a lot of balls down the channels and over the top but it worked.

They defended well too and I felt they saw us off quite comfortably in the end. They may have expected a tougher game.

Holloway has been about a bit but QPR seems to be his club. He seems well suited to them and after a few years of lavish spending and some time in the top flight; is probably the right man for their current predicament. They have wasted a lot of money in recent years and are still trying to recover from this. Although most of the big earners have now finally gone; they now have a squad that is a bit of a mish mash of experience, some young players and a few talents who could keep improving like Luongo, Bidwell, Freeman and Washington.

I expect them to finish around middle of the table but you never know. Holloway has shown his motivational skills before and it really is a wide open division. Could as likely be top 6 as bottom 6.

Opposition man of the match – They all worked hard. Freeman and Luongo controlled midfield for large parts. Washington and Sylla were threats but I think the former Blade Baptiste was outstanding. He did not put a foot wrong all game.

Opposition weak link – No one really. They all worked hard and many won their individual battles which has been rare for United this season. Maybe the lad Scowen for his ridiculous reaction to Brooks push. Shameful playacting trying to get the United man sent off. It was farcical.

Blackman 1/10 – Not sure I can give him much of a mark? He played 4 mins and made an absolute howler that in the end cost us the game. How he dropped it I do not know. It was abysmal and to make it worse he managed to injure himself badly whilst doing it. We have all said he has not made a major error but tonight he made a big one. Sadly he may be out for a while and may cost him his place.

Baldock 6/10 – Seemed half asleep first half and three times they nipped in as he dozed. He tried to get forward but I only recall one good cross all night. He got caught out a few times second half too and then picked up a knock and went off.

Stevens 6.5/10 – He was one of our main threats attacking wise with a couple of decent balls and some surging runs. A few times he overplayed it though and going the other way he was at full stretch a few times. Felt he took too long a few times 2nd half when in good positions.

Basham 7/10 – Started game slowly but got better as it went on. He was one of few players to emerge with much credit. Kept battling and I also thought won a fair few 50/50s which others did nit. Ended up right back and got beat once as we tried to attack near the end.

Carter Vickers 6/10 - Not sure in his communication on the goal but he looked shaky to start the game. He twice failed to clear his lines and they nearly got in. He seems to head it down a lot rather than out. He was better 2nd half and at least started to win things. Not the best with the ball and they pressured him and meant he went long a lot.

O’ Connell 7/10 – He got turned a few times early on and not good when he is running with his back to goal. He improved as the game went on and ended up one of our better players. Worryingly he had to carry the ball forward so much and was overlapping quite a bit but we took too long to find him.

Coutts 5/10 – His poorest game in an SUFC shirt for a long time. He lost it quite a bit, his passing was poor (except one beauty inside the full back) and he took too long to do things. He missed Fleck buzzing around him and Duffy as an out ball but they really pressured him and he coughed it up a lot. Never seen him give it away so much and was as far from his song as possible. Just one of those days but he never hid.

Lundstram 6/10 - Better than Coutts but we still lost that area. We did not win tackles and too much loose stuff saw them come out with it. He was not able to make any decisive forward passez and lacks pace and mobility to carry it. He passes it within a few seconds of getting it and goes backwards and sideways too much. Did show one or two nice bits of skill. One lovely flick first half took him away from his man. He was ok and a tidy player but his lack of pace slows it down. They just sat off him and knew he would pass it and not carry it.

Brooks 6/10 – A few galloping runs where he was felled and not given free kicks and they crowded him out a few times also. He did get outmuscled a few times but he still looked a threat. Put a few clever balls in but most of the time he had to come looking and was too far from goal to be a threat. They got bodies round him when he had it and sent him wide rather than central. 2nd half he had one shot but was not really a factor. He faded quite badly and then when he did get a foul (finally) he pushed his man who tried to feign injury. Brooks had probably had enough by this stage. It was a learning curve for him tonight as teams will try and push/kick him off his stride.

Donaldson 3/10 – Thought he was abject sadly. He was slow, languid, weak and his touch was poor. He was always behind his man and was also miles away from Clarke. He looked so much off the pace. I did not go to Sunderland but seen him twice at Forest and tonight and he has looked really poor. Given a big chance tonight and did not stake his claim at all. Came off for Sharp around the hour. It should have been sooner.

Clarke 7/10 – Along with Bash and JOC, maybe one of few who played ok. Worked hard again and was living off scraps tonight. Did not get much help from his own partners or the ref. Kept plugging away and chased down loose balls or tried to bring others into play but the service was poor tonight.

Subs-

Moore 6/10 – Made one save when he nearly got caught out. Other than that saw few shots flash past his post. Did not come for two balls right in his 6 yard box and they nearly profited. His kicking was poor as he lumped two out and a few others barely made half way. Felt he looked rusty. Now has his chance though.

Sharp – Tried hard but he misplaced a few passes and then ran offside twice. Had our only effort on goal 2nd half but this lacked conviction. His lack of pace showed as they sat quite deep in the final stages.

Duffy – Tried to probe and make something happen but even he was off with a few poor overhit passes. He too got crowded out or was too far from goal to make anything happen.

Wilder 5/10 – Maybe for the 1st time this season got out thought. They went 3 up top and went long and we struggled. He changed the side and these did not work. He made subs but these did nit make much of an impact really. Also we did not start well for the first time since maybe the opening two away games of the season. The opposition were fired up and fought harder. We looked languid and too complacent tonight but we have a monkey on our back now. Tonight with an opponent ready and organised we did not match this.

Officials – Keith Stroud was tonight’s referee. He was abysmal. A total homer. We got nothing all night. He failed to protect Brooks who got shoved three times when running with the ball. Stroud failed to realise even minimal contact when a player is running will send them off balance. He gave so many other ludicrously soft fouls to them. He booked one of their defenders for a crude foul then let him get away with another soon after. He let time wasting go all game and then presided over the ridiculous Scowen playacting after Brooks had been manhandled again. He was appalling and seemed like he would not give us anything all night. Basically we had to be attacked to get a foul but the slightest nudge or tap the other way and he gave it. He was only rivalled in his bias and ineptitude by his assistant on our right side who loved an offside but could not spot two balls being a yard over the touchline. To give it some balance I felt the offside was right for the disallowed goal but this was the other assistant.

Crowd / Day out – Been to QPR a few times and only seen us win once. Missed the 3-0 FA Cup win and the win that sealed safety (Booker) in 1991. Was not even there for the Santos inspired win! My memories are of Roy Wegerle, Petr Katchouro and John Deehan sadly!

I do like Loftus Road. Like one of its neighbours, Brentford, you are right on top of the action and even when it is not full it is always a good atmosphere. I have been before when United have had both tiers of the School Road end but tonight we just had the top tier. Still close to 1,700 Blades on a Tuesday evening is very impressive. I am sure if it was a Saturday we would have been given the full end and filled it. We sadly have a few London games not on a Saturday with this one, Fulham and Brentford (Good Friday) all falling badly which is a shame as the London trips are great days out. I am not sure I can make Millwall in early December.

United fans were in good voice early with the recent form and league position but as the game went on the R’s fans started to make more noise of course.

Pre game as I was with the youngling, my options for pubs were a bit more limited I was going to go for a bite to eat in a Wetherspoons near Shepherds Bush Green but was denied entry. We had no colours on but I was asked where I was from. He said he could not let us in as they did not want any trouble. There was me and my 9 year old. I laughed and walked off. Seemed most pubs even as far as Goldhawk Rd were manned by bouncers. So we went in the ground and enjoyed the fun if the ridiculously narrow concourse that is to be frank inadequate and dangerous when that stand is full. Really is quite tin pot up there and not very nice when so many fans are in such a cramped space.

The only positive tonight is after leaving (they shepherded – intentional pun- all out the same exit making it even more farcical) we opted to avoid crowds of the tube and made it back to our hotel in Hammersmith in 20 mins. I was back in my room for 10.15ish. So why has it took me so long to write this you lazy b*****d I hear you cry. Well I needed to eat and as I say you try typing so much on a crappy Samsung phone.

Right off to bed. Leave you with a thought. I have been to 3 away games this season my record is 100%. All losses. Just saying. Hoping to get Burton tickets tomorrow. Sorry folks

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbat_DB View Post
    Subs-

Moore 6/10 – Made one save when he nearly got caught out. Other than that saw few shots flash past his post. Did not come for two balls right in his 6 yard box and they nearly profited. His kicking was poor as he lumped two out and a few others barely made half way. Felt he looked rusty. Now has his chance though.

Sharp – Tried hard but he misplaced a few passes and then ran offside twice. Had our only effort on goal 2nd half but this lacked conviction. His lack of pace showed as they sat quite deep in the final stages.

Duffy – Tried to probe and make something happen but even he was off with a few poor overhit passes. He too got crowded out or was too far from goal to make anything happen.

Wilder 5/10 – Maybe for the 1st time this season got out thought. They went 3 up top and went long and we struggled. He changed the side and these did not work. He made subs but these did nit make much of an impact really. Also we did not start well for the first time since maybe the opening two away games of the season. The opposition were fired up and fought harder. We looked languid and too complacent tonight but we have a monkey on our back now. Tonight with an opponent ready and organised we did not match this.

Officials – Keith Stroud was tonight’s referee. He was abysmal. A total homer. We got nothing all night. He failed to protect Brooks who got shoved three times when running with the ball. Stroud failed to realise even minimal contact when a player is running will send them off balance. He gave so many other ludicrously soft fouls to them. He booked one of their defenders for a crude foul then let him get away with another soon after. He let time wasting go all game and then presided over the ridiculous Scowen playacting after Brooks had been manhandled again. He was appalling and seemed like he would not give us anything all night. Basically we had to be attacked to get a foul but the slightest nudge or tap the other way and he gave it. He was only rivalled in his bias and ineptitude by his assistant on our right side who loved an offside but could not spot two balls being a yard over the touchline. To give it some balance I felt the offside was right for the disallowed goal but this was the other assistant.

Crowd / Day out – Been to QPR a few times and only seen us win once. Missed the 3-0 FA Cup win and the win that sealed safety (Booker) in 1991. Was not even there for the Santos inspired win! My memories are of Roy Wegerle, Petr Katchouro and John Deehan sadly!

I do like Loftus Road. Like one of its neighbours, Brentford, you are right on top of the action and even when it is not full it is always a good atmosphere. I have been before when United have had both tiers of the School Road end but tonight we just had the top tier. Still close to 1,700 Blades on a Tuesday evening is very impressive. I am sure if it was a Saturday we would have been given the full end and filled it. We sadly have a few London games not on a Saturday with this one, Fulham and Brentford (Good Friday) all falling badly which is a shame as the London trips are great days out. I am not sure I can make Millwall in early December.

United fans were in good voice early with the recent form and league position but as the game went on the R’s fans started to make more noise of course.

Pre game as I was with the youngling, my options for pubs were a bit more limited I was going to go for a bite to eat in a Wetherspoons near Shepherds Bush Green but was denied entry. We had no colours on but I was asked where I was from. He said he could not let us in as they did not want any trouble. There was me and my 9 year old. I laughed and walked off. Seemed most pubs even as far as Goldhawk Rd were manned by bouncers. So we went in the ground and enjoyed the fun if the ridiculously narrow concourse that is to be frank inadequate and dangerous when that stand is full. Really is quite tin pot up there and not very nice when so many fans are in such a cramped space.

The only positive tonight is after leaving (they shepherded – intentional pun- all out the same exit making it even more farcical) we opted to avoid crowds of the tube and made it back to our hotel in Hammersmith in 20 mins. I was back in my room for 10.15ish. So why has it took me so long to write this you lazy b*****d I hear you cry. Well I needed to eat and as I say you try typing so much on a crappy Samsung phone.

Right off to bed. Leave you with a thought. I have been to 3 away games this season my record is 100%. All losses. Just saying. Hoping to get Burton tickets tomorrow. Sorry folks
    Cheers DB,does your 9year old look like a thug then? UTCB

Cheers DB - one of my few opportunities to read your report having been to the game - and I have to say you are spot on in what you say. You've picked up on all the thoughts and impressions I had of the game - amazed at the level of detail you have produced. Also amazed that you have typed it into a Samsung phone

Hope you escape London and get home safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshortandtall View Post
    Thanks for that DB you'll have to explain to your lad he can't wear his junior stone island gear when you go to away matches as it upsets bouncers

Disappointed that we tinkered with the team last night after an extra days rest. Two away games where we've done that after important victories and lost them both. Some interesting points. QPR played 3 up front and went after our centre backs seem to remember Middlesbro did something similar. We played two big forwards, it didn't work. Like Leeds in the second half QPR pressed our midfield with some success. Brooks is now being targetted for rough treatment. All things to be considered for future away games.

What comes out of this game for me is that our back up in midfield and up front isn't good enough to keep us up top. Our starting 11 plus Brooks is as good as anything in this division but when injuries, tiredness and suspensions kick in we struggle. We need to address this in January.

We've done well to get 3 points out of 2 tough away games especially when you take into account we've had Duncan and Stroud as refs.
    Some fair points there Longy,but one thing the staff know better than any of us is how the players are feelin and what their stats say.Alot of folk reckon Couttsy's is irreplaceable but for me FLECKY's the main man,we look a better side when both are playin,no doubt abart that.UTCB