+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Westminster sleaze.

OT Westminster sleaze.

The news seems to be dominated at the moment by actors/directors and MP’s/wannabe politicians all suddenly claiming various degrees of ***ual harassment. I’m not defending it for a moment but these people are all adults and ‘crimes’ such as touching someone’s knee are hardly going to be a source of trauma.
    In comparison the enquiry into organised child abuse by politicians, judges and senior members of the police force during the seventies and eighties seems, Ted Heath apart, to have died a death.
    I know which I think is more important. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    The news seems to be dominated at the moment by actors/directors and MP’s/wannabe politicians all suddenly claiming various degrees of ***ual harassment. I’m not defending it for a moment but these people are all adults and ‘crimes’ such as touching someone’s knee are hardly going to be a source of trauma.
    In comparison the enquiry into organised child abuse by politicians, judges and senior members of the police force during the seventies and eighties seems, Ted Heath apart, to have died a death.
    I know which I think is more important. Thoughts?
    Agreed.

Recognising that there are the strong and the weak even amongst adults, the current focus is all skewed. If 'touching' in a semi-public situation was a crime, most of the men and virtually all of the women I've ever worked with would be in chokey and to be frank, so would I.

With limited resources, the focus should be on protecting (and calling out abusers of) those who can't defend themselves. IMO this is being driven by two organisations I have never had much time for and one I am rapidly losing faith with - The media, parliament and The BBC (who I don't count as 'media')

Edit: Sorry a fourth, people wanting attention. I refer again to facebook, there are some truly pathetic attempts on my newsfeed of people trying to jump on the #metoo bandwagon which only serves their own desperate agenda and diverts attention away from genuine misdemeanours
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 01-11-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Andy There's a surprise you blaming the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Andy There's a surprise you blaming the BBC
    I think since Brexit and the US election they've lost the plot in terms of balanced news reporting

Yeah this attention seeking spate of complaints beggars belief.

Even the Kevin Spacey revelations. Man it took the guy 21 years before bringing this out. Sure Spacey did wrong, but was it so traumatic? The point being the fool was drunk, he got carried away, he tried to seduce the guy (then a minor), but did actually go and molest the guy? Why not inform his parents then. Why after 21 years.
    As for the politicians, well what would make of Boris Yeltsin's antics?

Andy if you think the BBC is biased you clearly haven't watch Sky or Fox news now that is bias doing and saying what Murdoch tells them

Personally I won't be surprised if 80% of MPs and Ministers had at some point or rather, touched a female colleague, secretary or friend in the hope that it might lead to something more. I say 80% because probably the remaining 20% might be gay and would have done the same to some younger colleague, etc.

And I think the majority of those touched were expecting it to be so, in order to advance their careers though these politicians. Or for some other benefit.

Speculation on my part, but I think all these are par for the course in politics. It's a rotten business after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Personally I won't be surprised if 80% of MPs and Ministers had at some point or rather, touched a female colleague, secretary or friend in the hope that it might lead to something more. I say 80% because probably the remaining 20% might be gay and would have done the same to some younger colleague, etc.

And I think the majority of those touched were expecting it to be so, in order to advance their careers though these politicians. Or for some other benefit.

Speculation on my part, but I think all these are par for the course in politics. It's a rotten business after all.
    Metoo, metoo

I have reviewed the past 2 and a bit days at work and realise that I have both touched and been touched by male and female clients / colleagues. Is this reprehensible activity? No. Is it normal - absolutely. Its all part of the body language of communication, it would be impolite not to touch almost!

So should I go and hand myself into the police or something? Can I ask for millions of previous offences to be taken into account? Its pathetic: "Get a Life" seems to be the most appropriate response.

Oh God, I can feeli it coming....

"Its political correctness gone mad"

There you go, I've said it

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Andy if you think the BBC is biased you clearly haven't watch Sky or Fox news now that is bias doing and saying what Murdoch tells them
    Completely agree mista. The BBC may have its faults but compared with the alternatives it is objective and trustworthy in equal measure. Don’t really understand the criticism Andy...apart from anything else they’re too worried about what this Government might do with the licence fee etc to step very far out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Oh God, I can feeli it coming....

"Its political correctness gone mad"

There you go, I've said it
    Metoo. Hey we might be starting a movement here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)