+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warney's FA Cup memories

Warney's FA Cup memories

Can there be another club in the country that played in the second tier of football as many years as Rotherham have that has failed to get beyond the 5th Round of the Cup?

Absolutely loved the F.A.Cup in the 60s, no interest in it now what so ever.

A goldfish would have as many good memories of our FA Cup exploits as fans have in the past 40 years

We certainly have a dismal FA cup record.

I remember the draw at Old Trafford against the Best, Law, Charlton, Styles side and the unlucky defeat in the Millmoor replay against the Jack Taylor side.

I remember Tommy Doc and beating Villa away, Wolves at home and losing to Leicester in a Filbert Street replay (with half our fans, including me, locked out)

Apart from a draw at home to Keegan's Newcastle, before losing away, that's about it for the highlights. Plenty of lowlights though.

I doubt there is a team in the league with fewer good memories of the fa cup.

We need to beat Crewe to halt the current slide.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    We certainly have a dismal FA cup record.

I remember the draw at Old Trafford against the Best, Law, Charlton, Styles side and the unlucky defeat in the Millmoor replay against the Jack Taylor side.

I remember Tommy Doc and beating Villa away, Wolves at home and losing to Leicester in a Filbert Street replay (with half our fans, including me, locked out)

Apart from a draw at home to Keegan's Newcastle, before losing away, that's about it for the highlights. Plenty of lowlights though.

I doubt there is a team in the league with fewer good memories of the fa cup.

We need to beat Crewe to halt the current slide.
    Yes I have similar memories to those as well.
    I was one of the lucky ones to get in to Filbert Street at Leicester where we didn't deserve to lose and Brian Tiler (I think) had a perfectly good goal disallowed.
    I find it hard to get interested in the FA Cup these days because the competition has been so badly devalued by the many managers who routinely play under-strength teams. I bet even we do something similar tomorrow.
    I hope we win, I always do, but I won't be surprised or unduly disappointed if we don't.