+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patrice Evra

Patrice Evra

I saw this last night and was shocked... hes 36 now so surely this is the end of his career? I do remember the Eric Cantona incident back in the mid 90's and he got a 9 month ban... what do you guys think?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41853841

The end of his career at the top level, you'd think. Sounds like he's done at Marseille, but it would be a sour note to go out on... You'd think he would want to carry on somewhere for a bit longer just so he can retire on his own terms.

I find the whole "pre-match sending off" rule a bit odd, but this incident certainly seems to justify it!

If he had been named as a starter, would Marseille still have started with 11?

Evra has almost certainly endured 20+ years of stick - wrong shirt, poor game, wrong colour skin etc. It is relentless for these guys.
    If this happened in any other workplace then action would have to be taken but it seems strangely acceptable in football. Maybe the guy had just had enough and flipped. I don't usually condone violence but I doubt the guy he kicked was a randomer - any money you like that he was a baying, in-your-face loudmouth, the type that likes to give it but cries like a baby when he has to take it (I'd love to see video footage of the guy and his mates immediately before the incident). Same with Cantona years ago. There is a thread on here re Steve Evans and how the 4th official should be protected from his foul language - so where is the protection for footballers? Some serious hypocrisy in the beautiful game. The man flipped - he's human.
    Last edited by HaylePie; 03-11-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HaylePie View Post
    Evra has almost certainly endured 20+ years of stick - wrong shirt, poor game, wrong colour skin etc. It is relentless for these guys.
    If this happened in any other workplace then action would have to be taken but it seems strangely acceptable in football. Maybe the guy had just had enough and flipped. I don't usually condone violence but I doubt the guy he kicked was a randomer - any money you like that he was a baying, in-your-face loudmouth, the type that likes to give it but cries like a baby when he has to take it (I'd love to see video footage of the guy and his mates immediately before the incident). Same with Cantona years ago. There is a thread on here re Steve Evans and how the 4th official should be protected from his foul language - so where is the protection for footballers? Some serious hypocrisy in the beautiful game. The man flipped - he's human.

what he said

I thought it was funny that Notts fan's gave abuse at an opposition goalkeeper away last season all game and then wanted the keeper arrested at the end when he gave some stick back by smiling at us or something equally as trivial, I couldn't begin to imagine the outrage if he'd actually done something

Quote Originally Posted by HaylePie View Post
    I would gladly take any amount of verbal stick for a fraction of what Evra gets paid & although I agree about the hypocrisy if a fan attacked a player in such a way he would in all likelihood get locked up, let's see if there is also hypocrisy in the sentencing.

[QUOTE=ancientpie;38695966]I would gladly take any amount of verbal stick for a fraction of what Evra gets paid

That is easy to say sitting in the stands or your arm chair. You don't have to face the abuse. Footballers are only human and everyone doesn't react to situations the same, you don't know how you would react, you might think you do but none of us know until we are faced with it.

[QUOTE=i961pie;38696007]
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I would gladly take any amount of verbal stick for a fraction of what Evra gets paid

That is easy to say sitting in the stands or your arm chair. You don't have to face the abuse. Footballers are only human and everyone doesn't react to situations the same, you don't know how you would react, you might think you do but none of us know until we are faced with it.
    Correct I don't know how I would react in that situation,however I suspect that I would realise that kicking a fan in the head in front of live TV cameras & thousand of young kids who adore & look up to you isn't a good example to be setting. If for whatever reason Evra cannot take the abuse I would suggest that he can probably afford to take early retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    I find the whole "pre-match sending off" rule a bit odd, but this incident certainly seems to justify it!

If he had been named as a starter, would Marseille still have started with 11?
    The very same question was asked on TalkSport this afternoon. The rule is he can be substituted, the game has to start with 11 a side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast