+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The last time we beat Birmingham at home

The last time we beat Birmingham at home

They are genuinely a bogey team for us at our place, and I think in the time that Ive been a reds fan and have seen us play them (going back to season 1984-85 when they stole David Geddis from us), we've only won 3 times.
    And its 4 now after todays win of course!.
    I remember David Currie's long range solo goal in a 1-0 win against them in 1992-93, and our 2-1 win in season 1999-00. They did beat us 1-2 in the next game at Oakwell at the end of that season, but we'd just hammered them 0-4 at theirs in the play off 1st leg!.
    And the last time we beat them at home, wasnt it Danny Nardiello's goal in the 1-0 win on easter Monday, near the end of season 2006-07. It was our first season back at this level and after a 5-1 thrashing at Ipswich two days before, we found ourselves in the bottom three for that match.

A remember 15 April 1989. We wo laikin Birmingham at Oakwell at the same time of the Hillsboro disaster. News was beginning to come through via those who ed radios and gradually got worse and worse. Nobody wo bothered abart it finishing 0-0.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    A remember 15 April 1989. We wo laikin Birmingham at Oakwell at the same time of the Hillsboro disaster. News was beginning to come through via those who ed radios and gradually got worse and worse. Nobody wo bothered abart it finishing 0-0.
    Aye , the war a bloke wi a radio stood near us on Ponty End saying there's casualties , about five , as we were walking back into town after it kept rising , 10 , 20 and so on , tha couldn't tek it in .

Football just didn't matter , awful day .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Aye , the war a bloke wi a radio stood near us on Ponty End saying there's casualties , about five , as we were walking back into town after it kept rising , 10 , 20 and so on , tha couldn't tek it in .

Football just didn't matter , awful day .

My 1st ever Barnsley match that day. As you said the game and result was insignificant. Thing is back then tha dint know what to believe, a wor unly 10 year owd and the wo folk ont ponty saying people wo dead. Me and mi mates were stunned and couldnt believe it. When wi got ooam and saw the news it was shocking. Horrible day.

There's been too many tears over years for me. The families have finally had justice. Can't we let it lie. Yes remember and never forget but move on please.

I hate all the bad feeling n' connotations, up heavil that resonates with Hillsbrough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    There's been too many tears over years for me. The families have finally had justice. Can't we let it lie. Yes remember and never forget but move on please.

I hate all the bad feeling n' connotations, up heavil that resonates with Hillsbrough.
    Aye too many tears for the injustice of 20 years of corruption. I suppose Acido, me, SB and Animal mentioned it because of its poignancy and it happened to be Birmingham that particular day. It's something that sticks in your memory like it or not.

Steve do you father kids?

No Pass. I wasn't being insensitive with my post. Take rememberance for instance. It comes round once a year then nobody gives a feck after that. They might give you the spiel but they don't. However, Hillsbrough pops up in conversation all the time and its like blue touch paper. It causes more rows than I don't know what. Like it or not there are people with a different take on things. Media influenced maybe? Or maybe just down to the cover up and gradual filtering of information.

Maybe playing Birmingham is your empty pack of quavers blowing across the floor moment. If so I apologise if my post came across wrong

No need for apology Steve . I was just being curious. If or when tha does start a family mate tha'll probably see it more from my angle. I agree though abart lettin it drop

A fancy some quavers nar

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    A fancy some quavers nar
    Like That was our Connie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast