+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy 70th Bomber

Happy birthday Les...you are a true Notts legend. Your last minute winner against the dark side would be my everlasting memory. Boy did we celebrate that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Messiah Masson View Post
    Happy birthday Les...you are a true Notts legend. Your last minute winner against the dark side would be my everlasting memory. Boy did we celebrate that night.
    My favourite memory too. I think every Notts fan jumped up with Big Les when the cross came over, and I can still recall the Hugh Johns commentary on Star Soccer. Happy Birthday and thanks for so many great memories Les.

Maybe in one or two years we will again be able to celebrate a last minute winner against the dark side scored by a 38 year old Shola Ameobi.

Happy Birthday Sir Les, may you have a good one and a special thank you from myself & Mrs Bridg4d for all those wonderful goals you scored for us. Having seen many of them it's hard to pick a favourite or a best one Les.

Hell they were all great in their own way Sir well done & thank you.

Have A Great Day you have earned it.

Happy birthday and thanks for everything nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    Indeed- me too! We signed him the following day from memory.
    No, he knocked us out of the League Cup (it was still called the League Cup back then) in August 1967, but didn't join us until the October.

My memory isn't what it was, but a transfer fee of £1000 comes to mind.

Yes, the fee was £1,000! I recall the LC game with Rotherham was in August, as we went along to celebrate my mate's 13 th birthday (Aug 20), his dad took about 4 or 5 of us, so I would have only been 11 at the time.

I had a feeeling Les signed fairly shortly afterwards, but you are right, it was October. Whenever it was, it marked the beginning of a remarkable career and remains one of our most significant signings ever - along with Masson & Worthington, of course. Well done Billy Gray.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12