+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy Wright

Tommy Wright

I still can't get my head round this latest rumour as it seems to make no sense whatsoever. He's currently at a Premier League club, which we are not. He has a stable Chairman, who seems to run a tight ship - we've got Baldy. He is at, on the face of it, what appears to be a well run financial ship, living within its means while punching above its weight as opposed to the financial mismanagement basket case that is Tannadice currently. He has a fan base which is ultra supportive due to past achievements while we can, let's face it, be a fickle bunch who have seen 4 managers and 2 caretakers in the space of 4 1/2 years. He rejected a move here while we were a top league team, so why would he move now? And finally, he has an outside chance of the Sevco job and if not that, possibly the Sheep should McInnes go. Or, even, Norn Ireland if O'Neill steps back into Club management.

But.

There were rumblings close season doon Perth way about not getting enough backing from the boardroom.having performed historical minor miracles. He was certainly NOT happy about Scobbie being allowed to leave. He has become increasingly vocal about the lack of crowds which he feels, rightly, should be increasing due to the success he has brought - let's face it, this is the most successful period in the history of St Johnstone ever. They currently are on a very poor run - is he starting to think that he can't just continue pulling off miracles and that he has gone as far as he can in his present role? He has alluded to being disappointed in being overlooked for other higher profile jobs both in Scotland and England over the last couple of years, which IMHO correctly he should have perhaps been mentioned in dispatches for (for instance at the moment Sunderland could do a helluva lot worse than Wright as opposed to Ally Phucking McCoist). Further, on the back of the knock back he gave us two year ago, why would United be going back in now, as a Championship club, to try and get him in? Surely this would only be happening if they were being encouraged to do so, say at the request of, let's say, perhaps, his agent?

Does he feel his race is run at St Johnstone? Does he feel his stock will reduce if they start to decline with him at the helm? Can he run the risk of not moving on, even to United, while he is held in high regard? Does he see United as the better long term option despite our current league status?

I don't know and I still for the life of me can't see this happening.

But.

You never know.

There must be something in it....bookies always have some form of insider knowledge. I'm totally clueless as to how this is going to pan out....but while we're winning it's not a major concern!

Only way is if St Js and Wright had discussed his future and both agree a change in direction. Some chap saying that Wright has no idea about United but that we may contact St Js to talk to him.

It seems too far fetched - I would take him in a heart beat. There appears to be some truth that utd are keen to explore this. As you say James

You never Know.

He is 7/4 FAV with Bet Victor,Hughes is 2/1 however i cannie understand that market because they don't even have Shabba listed.Wright has come from nowhere to 6/1 yesterday to the favourite today.ST Johnstone would want a fee and its been reported that any new manager will be told there is no money to spend in the Jan window so none of this makes sense.

the reason why TW hasn't been poached away from perth is due to the style of football his teams play. i know its a modern thing where every team seems to want a manager that plays "that teams way" but his teams are simple 442 when attacking 451 when defending. hard working, normally good at setpieces and always seem to have that one flair player who makes the big difference (May, swanson MoH etc). Sevco and some clubs down south want their teams to play attractive football which might not happen. his style is very british hence why they have been very successful domestically but theres a reason why he doesnt go far in europe (beaten by lesser opponents from lesser countries) that style doesnt work as well against tactically and technically better teams.

Tommy wright would have kept us up the year we went down but i dont think now is the time for him at us. Financially it doesnt make sense plus having decent options available who are out of work.

I dont think theres a lot in the rumor tbh. we might be interested but i dont think theres a serious chance of it coming. i still reckon we'll end up with lazslo or Hughes.

We are stalling because hughes interview is still at the university translation centre and gchq and they are striggling to decipher it.

Jim Spence said yesterday Hughes is pretty much out the running. Wright is a very strange one. It’s never gonna happen as we have no money but he’s the bookies favourite? Could be the agent on the windup to try and get a new contract? Very bizarre

The only way I could see this happening is if Wright has told St J he is keen to move on but will see out his contract unless offered severance or is sacked. He did have a falling out with the chairman about Scobbie and appears frustrated at the lack of acknowledgment for his achievements at St J, but why would he leave them to come to us on a short term deal in a league below? Non-starter for me.

Thanks shedka. Pretty much the spectrum of feelings on here. Fwiw he isnt going to dons or gers in my view.
    Some think it may happen others laughing at thought.

There must be something in this though - maybe even TW agent to get others interested.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)