Given the injury situation, and the relative failure of the fringe players, it now looks as if these are the realistic choices:
GK:Raya
RB: Nyambe/Caddis
CB: Mulgrew/Downing/Ward/Wharton(?)
LB: Williams
RM/RW: Bennett
LM/LW: Conway/Antonsson
DM: Smallwood/Evans
AM: Whittingham/Dack
CF: Graham/Nuttall/Samuel

I have left out other youngsters, simply because I simply don't think they are likely to feature yet - except as subs. As for Hart, Harper and Gladwin, they may be given one more chance at Rochdale, but TM seemed very unhappy with their effort against Barnet.

Now, if I was an unrealistic Telegraph poster, this would be the team:
Raya
Nyambe Mulgrew Downing Doyle
Bennett Tomlinson Antonsson
Dack
Graham Nuttall.

I agree this probably represents our highest skill-level, but is it realistic? One thing Mowbray certainly has done is tighten up the defence. With the team above, we would surely have to net three goals a game to win. I don't think we can really afford to rely on Coyle's "Let's try and win 4-3" approach. All the same, we are looking better with two genuine strikers and Dack is surely No. 2 on the team-sheet after Mulgrew now.
For me, the team below would represent the best compromise (although I am still tempted by putting Wharton alongside Downing, and pushing Mulgrew into the "holding" position, because of his passing-skills):
Raya
Nyambe Mulgrew Downing Williams
Bennett Smallwood Evans Conway
Dack
Nuttall Graham.
And there's the problem, you see, because that's 12 players!
So do we sacrifice one of the defensive midfielders and play 4-3-1-2? If so, Mulgrew might be the right choice for the position in front of the defence, but it's quite a risk. At least Conway and Bennett are quite good at helping out the defence, but it's easy to foresee a supply-difficulty to the front players.
I suspect this is one reason Mowbray doesn't automatically include Nuttall, and it may also be the reason he has toyed with wing-backs. The problem with that is, the players we have can't seem to adapt to it.
Any solutions?