+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Oh no, not politics again (PLEASE DON'T LOOK IF EASILY OFFENDED)

Quote Originally Posted by them0uf View Post
    Leaving aside the Queen for a moment, and certainly party politics, isn’t this a question of morality? Technically, tax avoidance remains legal but only really because successive governments of both colours have failed to find a way of tackling what looks to be an incredibly difficult problem. If either party could wave a magic legislative wand it is clear that they would close the loopholes.
    One person’s tax dodge is another’s increase in tax or reduction in services. God knows I’m no fan of Corbyn but he struck the right mood when he said that unpaid tax is money which could otherwise be spent on education or hospitals. Might I add to that, providing better equipment to our armed services in conflict which both parties have failed to do (not least the new Defence Minister with his voting record).
    Someone mentioned that everyone would do it if they were rich enough. Surely they are the very people who don’t need to do it (leaving aside corporations whose prime responsibility is to their shareholders). For heaven’s sake how much more money do they need, how much more can they spend? I see little Lewis Hamilton, poor mite, felt the need to dodge a few more million. This is on top of him being so proud to be British he decided to be Swiss despite there being no discernible advantage to him being able to do his job. If it would save him a few quid I'm sure he would register as a martian.
    Why is it that morality goes out of the window when there is a petty buck to be made? Those who criticise others on here for a perceived lack of patriotism in some matters are perfectly happy to throw that aside when it can be justified with a few bob extra in the already bursting pocket. And back to the Queen. If she has anything about her she should fire those charged with investing her money in offshore trusts. It’s not really about the tax (as someone said, she is not obliged to pay tax and, belatedly in my opinion, offered to voluntarily years ago) but it surely is about investing in Britain. By doing this is her estate not really saying that patriotism is for other people?
    Excellent post.

Turns out that most of the 'patriotism' on show doesn't stretch to contributing their fair share to society

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Question for you. - Do you have a tax free ISA? - if so, are you breaking the law or did it seem the best deal for you to maximise your cash?

"look out for the taxman- he may be after you for tax avoidance
    But ISA's are deliberate government policy to encourage saving. They are not artificial constructs to circumvent or break the law. And as I explained a lot of these offshore companies ARE breaking the law by not declaring their profits in UK under CFC legislation.
    The rightwing press are just feeding the masses this ISA comparison but it's total BS. And HMRC are being underfunded so they can't chase down these criminals. Tax havens could be closed down tomorrow, it's very easy. And if they didn't play along why could we not just cut off flights to these places ? They would change their ways in an instant. It's deliberate policy to allow this to continue at our expense.

Morning Conchie Sid ......... A simple but profound question. My statement applied primarily to Britain's armed forces regarding wearing the poppy and also holding the Remembrance day services. This is our way of showing respect and long may it continue - other nations will have their own ways of Remembrance no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Excellent post.

Turns out that most of the 'patriotism' on show doesn't stretch to contributing their fair share to society

Speak for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    The defence minister never broke any law either but his behaviour cost him his job. The Queen has my money and I want her to use it morally and correctly by paying her share of taxes for the schools and hospitals I and my family attend.
    Tess Daly has some of mine, as has Queen Fiona The Bruce, King Dimbleby and Footman Carr. I'd like to add them to the list please.
    Shout out to Lineker too.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    The opening post was lifted directly from today's online version of the Grauniad with some judicious editing.
    Where else would you get your usual biased views from, what a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by them0uf View Post
    Leaving aside the Queen for a moment, and certainly party politics, isn’t this a question of morality? Technically, tax avoidance remains legal but only really because successive governments of both colours have failed to find a way of tackling what looks to be an incredibly difficult problem. If either party could wave a magic legislative wand it is clear that they would close the loopholes.
    One person’s tax dodge is another’s increase in tax or reduction in services. God knows I’m no fan of Corbyn but he struck the right mood when he said that unpaid tax is money which could otherwise be spent on education or hospitals. Might I add to that, providing better equipment to our armed services in conflict which both parties have failed to do (not least the new Defence Minister with his voting record).
    Someone mentioned that everyone would do it if they were rich enough. Surely they are the very people who don’t need to do it (leaving aside corporations whose prime responsibility is to their shareholders). For heaven’s sake how much more money do they need, how much more can they spend? I see little Lewis Hamilton, poor mite, felt the need to dodge a few more million. This is on top of him being so proud to be British he decided to be Swiss despite there being no discernible advantage to him being able to do his job. If it would save him a few quid I'm sure he would register as a martian.
    Why is it that morality goes out of the window when there is a petty buck to be made? Those who criticise others on here for a perceived lack of patriotism in some matters are perfectly happy to throw that aside when it can be justified with a few bob extra in the already bursting pocket. And back to the Queen. If she has anything about her she should fire those charged with investing her money in offshore trusts. It’s not really about the tax (as someone said, she is not obliged to pay tax and, belatedly in my opinion, offered to voluntarily years ago) but it surely is about investing in Britain. By doing this is her estate not really saying that patriotism is for other people?
    Everything you say is true but Sid and his mate BFP want to turn it into a political point scoring as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Morning Conchie Sid ......... A simple but profound question. My statement applied primarily to Britain's armed forces regarding wearing the poppy and also holding the Remembrance day services. This is our way of showing respect and long may it continue - other nations will have their own ways of Remembrance no doubt.
    I wouldn't think many ex service men would want to remember the Germans that died to be honest?

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    If you don't know you're thicker than I thought.
    I am really thick so if you could explain that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Everything you say is true but Sid and his mate BFP want to turn it into a political point scoring as usual.
    It quickly becomes a political point all by itself - a fair amount of that untaxed money comes back as contributions to the tory party coffers

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast