+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: o/t what's the best biography you have ever read?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_bukaroo View Post
    Somewhere over the rainbow by john McCarthy and Jill morrell. All about his time in captivity and written from both sides, an excellent read.
    Very good. 'An Evil Cradling' by Brian Keenan is very worth reading

Quote Originally Posted by fivetide View Post
    Not technically an autobiography but the relation of a correspondent's experience in Vietnam. Dispatches, Michael Herr
    On the Vietnam theme I would thoroughly recommend 'Matteerhorn' by Karl Marlantes

On the 2WW in the far east (Siege of Kohima), 'Road of Bones' by Fergal Keane

On the war in Rwanda the harrowing 'Seeason of Blood' by Fergal Keane

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ismael Beah

Utterly gripping account of the horrors of the civil war in Sierra Leone, recruited as a soldier as a boy by the very people who murdered his family.
    Yes I remember that one. Wasn't there some controversial comments that the facts and dates in the book didn't add up and most of it was "embroidery" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes I remember that one. Wasn't there some controversial comments that the facts and dates in the book didn't add up and most of it was "embroidery" ?
    Did you read it?

It is entirely possible that the account of the author is muddled and/or embellished. They were forced to take drugs for much of the experience and were children after all. However it provides a fascinating insight into the methods and experiences these boys faced, whether the dates all match up perfectly or not.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Did you read it?

It is entirely possible that the account of the author is muddled and/or embellished. They were forced to take drugs for much of the experience and were children after all. However it provides a fascinating insight into the methods and experiences these boys faced, whether the dates all match up perfectly or not.
    So I’ll find it in the fiction section then?

Reminds me of Haley's "Roots", that was presented as fact when it was fiction.

And "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey.

Anger is an energy John Lydon, Bobby Robson forget the name of it great read, lovely bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey46 View Post
    Anger is an energy John Lydon, Bobby Robson forget the name of it great read, lovely bloke.
    I've tried twice to read anger is an energy and just can't get into it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    So I’ll find it in the fiction section then?
    If you live in a world of black and white where you lack the capacity or compassion to consider the context of a person's experience, sure. That would require the kind of mindset that would completely reject the account of a Jimmy Saville victim because the he didn't visit the place they alledged an abuse took place until 2 years after the year they originally said.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234