+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: o/t what's the best biography you have ever read?

o/t what's the best biography you have ever read?

Mostly sports related myself, enjoyed Gazza's, and most recently Joey Barton, Bobby Charlton's and Fred Trueman's also spring to mind.

Keith Richards' autobiography is great.

Heart of a Soldier by James B. Stewart, about Rick Rescorla, a Cornishman who fought in Vietnam & died on 9/11, amazing life.

Has Ronnie Wood ever brought one out? Hero of mine when he was in the Faces. Always wanted to read The Wayward Lad about Jockey Graham Bradley. Used to follow him, hell of a jockey.

Brian Cloughs

The fire next time James Baldwin.

A few on here could do with reading it.

I only read biography's. Not interested in novels or story books unless it's a true story.

Anyway my best 3 are

Jim Quillen, my time on the rock ( read it 4 times)

Alan Sugar, what you see is what you get (read it twice and half way through the 3rd time)

David Jason, my life (read it twice)

The worst was

George Cole, the world was my lobster. ( how can such a famous actor have had such a dull life)

I'd thoroughly recomend " Strange Kind Of Glory " by Eamon Dunphy , the biography of Matt Busby .

One of the greatest books I've read and I've read a few .

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway.

The Moon’s A Balloon by David Niven.

Two fantastic reads and very funny too.

I also liked the books by local Solicitor - Steven D Smith
    Boozers Ballcocks and bail,
    Plonkers Plaintiffs and pleas
    and also Junkies judges and Jail.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Keith Richards' autobiography is great.

Heart of a Soldier by James B. Stewart, about Rick Rescorla, a Cornishman who fought in Vietnam & died on 9/11, amazing life.

Like great_fire, enjoyed Keith Richards' autobiography but particular enjoyed reading it at about the same time as the biography that came out about Brian Jones for a contrasting view on the early Stones years.

Because of his contribution to acoustic guitar, Bert Jansch's biography has to be up there for me.

Really enjoyed "Shaky" about Neil Young and David Crosby's book but thought Graham Nash largely came over as a bit of a prat in his offering. Ditto Ray Davies from the Kinks.

Nobody has written anything really good on Brian Wilson, in my view. Ian Dury was very well done.

Generally prefer biography to autobiography though Keith Richard is the exception that proves the rule.

The best group biography was the (relatively) recent one on Pink Floyd. Also really enjoyed one on the two guys who formed Squeeze. Their name escapes me at the moment.

You asked the question, IBS. What's your take on biographies?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast