+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Dyer View Post
    No because McKinnon wouldn't have made the changes Ellis did. Matty Smith would still be in the U20's under Ray.

That St Mirren game, whilst not spectacular in the slightest, was the most enjoyable match i've witnessed since before McKinnon took over.

Great guy and a top Arab but lets be honest, the football he served up during his entire tenure was beyond garbage.
    ^^^This^^^

I have a six (now seven) year old who said the Brechin match was garbage. "Boring" "no goals, Daddy" were phrases used. He won't go back now.

Quote Originally Posted by arab_pat View Post
    Rightly so, Ellis has done a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Dyer View Post
    No because McKinnon wouldn't have made the changes Ellis did. Matty Smith would still be in the U20's under Ray.

That St Mirren game, whilst not spectacular in the slightest, was the most enjoyable match i've witnessed since before McKinnon took over.

Great guy and a top Arab but lets be honest, the football he served up during his entire tenure was beyond garbage.
    Agree 100%, best game in f ucking ages and McKinnon as a manager will always be remembered for the worst performances in the clubs history.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Agree 100%, best game in f ucking ages and McKinnon as a manager will always be remembered for the worst performances in the clubs history.
    Can’t argue with that!

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Pure hyperbole. The club has been around for over 100 years so how can you make that judgement?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Pure hyperbole. The club has been around for over 100 years so how can you make that judgement?
    Precisely Terry. 1994 Sc Cup Final goalscoring hero's last game at Falkirk was worse. Then I recall a real stinker at Albion Rovers in 1923....

Quote Originally Posted by SmedDUm View Post
    Precisely Terry. 1994 Sc Cup Final goalscoring hero's last game at Falkirk was worse. Then I recall a real stinker at Albion Rovers in 1923....
    I'll have to disagree, I was at his final game and although it was 5-1 the team played with a wee bit about them (he'd dropped about 5 boys who'd let him down iirc, and he also played a 3-5-2 for the first time?)

Also remember the sport sound phone in on the way home, not one caller wanted Brewster sacked at that point. His failing was that he tried to sort the club from top to bottom rather than focus on the first team.

The football played back then wasn't as pish as what we've been served up recently, but it wasn't great either!

Ray has to be given some sort of credit for the rebuild job he's done with the club since hes been here. lets not forget the mess that was in place that was left behind by Jackie/Mixu. He's got rid of alot of the deadwood or overstayed players (admittedly more forced but still) and managed to put a very capable squad together which is capable of winning the league. sadly it wasnt meant to be under ray. Cant doubt his commitment and effort for the cause but just sadly lacked the ability.

he's left Csaba a good enough squad to get promoted. Im very interested to see what CL will do with the squad. the last two games under Ellis, we've looked rejuvenated with some players looking very impressive (Smith, Stanton and Fraser) with improved performances. does he keep things ticking over and slowly implement his ideas or does he go straight in with any ideas he has for the team? Dont Care aslong as he leads us up!

and to answer the question of the topic thread, i think we would have had 3/4 pts under Ray. think we would have beaten dumbarton but would have lost or drew to saints. imo

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPetric View Post
    I'll have to disagree, I was at his final game and although it was 5-1 the team played with a wee bit about them (he'd dropped about 5 boys who'd let him down iirc, and he also played a 3-5-2 for the first time?)

Also remember the sport sound phone in on the way home, not one caller wanted Brewster sacked at that point. His failing was that he tried to sort the club from top to bottom rather than focus on the first team.

The football played back then wasn't as pish as what we've been served up recently, but it wasn't great either!
    Brewster set up some of the ground work for the success united would have in the future years. he got rid of alot of deadwood/higher earners and signed some players who would be big players for levein after him. He did try and get us playing some decent stuff. (2-2 at ibrox at start of that season, we were very good) but we seemed to get punished for every mistake we made that season. Results werent great and thats why he was punted but Brewster done more at united than some people give him credit

As you say, Brewster signed some players that ended up being pivotal after he left, including one that scored two goals when we lifted the Scottish Cup in 2010.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)