+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Devils advocate

On the subject of worst performances, the initial changeover from Sturrock to Alex Smith in 2000 produced some of the worst I've ever seen. Losing 4 goals to Hearts, 5 to Aberdeen, signing unknown South Americans and people launching season tickets onto the pitch. The club was a complete shambles.
    Thankfully it worked out ok in the end and hopefully it will be similar this time.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    Ray has to be given some sort of credit for the rebuild job he's done with the club since hes been here. lets not forget the mess that was in place that was left behind by Jackie/Mixu. He's got rid of alot of the deadwood or overstayed players (admittedly more forced but still) and managed to put a very capable squad together which is capable of winning the league. sadly it wasnt meant to be under ray. Cant doubt his commitment and effort for the cause but just sadly lacked the ability.

he's left Csaba a good enough squad to get promoted. Im very interested to see what CL will do with the squad. the last two games under Ellis, we've looked rejuvenated with some players looking very impressive (Smith, Stanton and Fraser) with improved performances. does he keep things ticking over and slowly implement his ideas or does he go straight in with any ideas he has for the team? Dont Care aslong as he leads us up!

and to answer the question of the topic thread, i think we would have had 3/4 pts under Ray. think we would have beaten dumbarton but would have lost or drew to saints. imo
    How can you say he would have beat Dumbarton away?,his record there was loads of excuses about the element's and nae points fae six,FACT.He had just lost two on the bounce to bang average team's and his team had been well beaten,i cannie believe anyone can say we would have picked up any points v Dumbarton or ST FN Mirren.
    Last edited by GUNBOAT; 10-11-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Pure hyperbole. The club has been around for over 100 years so how can you make that judgement?
    Based on my experience as long as I've followed United and based on older arabs opinions, hyperbole f uck all, that was f ucking awful for 1.5 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by SmedDUm View Post
    Precisely Terry. 1994 Sc Cup Final goalscoring hero's last game at Falkirk was worse. Then I recall a real stinker at Albion Rovers in 1923....
    Nah it wasnt, even Dumbarton 1-0 in 1995 wasnt near as bad as anything McKinnon put out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutherland Arab View Post
    On the subject of worst performances, the initial changeover from Sturrock to Alex Smith in 2000 produced some of the worst I've ever seen. Losing 4 goals to Hearts, 5 to Aberdeen, signing unknown South Americans and people launching season tickets onto the pitch. The club was a complete shambles.
    Thankfully it worked out ok in the end and hopefully it will be similar this time.
    That was sh1te aye, but it wasnt like that every single week plus we were up against better opposition, not playing sparkys and brickies etc

Can anyone honestly hand on heart say they have seen a more consistently poor Dundee United team ever????

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Can anyone honestly hand on heart say they have seen a more consistently poor Dundee United team ever????
    Nope!

Agree 100%, best game in f ucking ages and McKinnon as a manager will always be remembered for the worst performances in the clubs history.
    There are plenty Auld Arabs about who saw the team in the late 50s when we were 37th out of 38.
    It's a good thing that most of them might have forgotten how bad we were!

Based on my experience as long as I've followed United and based on older arabs opinions, hyperbole f uck all, that was f ucking awful for 1.5 seasons.

What does it matter if we have had worse teams in our history? I doubt if we ever have had, at least since we got promoted from the old 2nd division, but surely the real matter of fact is, we have been consistently terrible to watch and the standard of performances is totally unacceptable.

If we were able to identify a worse period in our history, does that make MacKinnon's reign and the preceding
    year and a half acceptable??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)