+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why statistics mean pheck all take note you armchairs

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    There are a few on here who love hoying a statistic up or two
    to try and prove their point is correct

well heres why those statistics mean pheck all wether they be passing ratios distance ran values of players etc etc

there is a report out valuing teams players

and that report values freddy at 3.5 mill
    yet elliott at only 1.2 mill

it sasy the lad we sent back to marseille is vallued at 70 odd million

next time you think about googling pass statistics etc
    just remember this
    Definition of statistic: is that it is a numerical fact

Joselu has scored 2 goals – a numerical fact, therefore a statistic

Yedlin has successfully completed more than 80% of his passes – a numerical fact, therefore a statistic
    Shelvey averages more than 35 passes a game – a numerical fact, therefore a statistic

Player X is worth Y million – not a numerical fact (unless he was sold for that amount) therefore not a statistic. Its basically someone’s opinion.

You have compared apples and oranges, and used fatally flawed logic. Your argument here is worthless

(I just googled those statistics, and player valuations didn’t change them one little bit).

There are a few on here who love hoying a statistic up or two
    to try and prove their point is correct

well heres why those statistics mean pheck all wether they be passing ratios distance ran values of players etc etc

there is a report out valuing teams players

and that report values freddy at 3.5 mill
    yet elliott at only 1.2 mill

it sasy the lad we sent back to marseille is vallued at 70 odd million

next time you think about googling pass statistics etc
    just remember this

Definition of statistic is that it is a numerical fact

Joselu has scored 2 goals – a numerical fact, therefore a statistic

Yedlin has successfully completed more than 80% of his passes – a numerical fact, therefore a statistic
    Shelvey averages more than 35 passes a game – a numerical fact, therefore a statistic

Player X is worth Y million – not a numerical fact (unless he was sold for that amount) therefore not a statistic. Its basically someone’s opinion.

You have compared apples and oranges, and used fatally flawed logic. Your argument here is worthless

(I just googled those statistics, and player valuations didn’t change them one little bit).

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post
    ha ha you buffoon, dont you see how your undermining your own argument with this

nice fishing trip nob
    surely im pointing out how wrong these statistics are and how pointless these google searches are

and how incorrect and pointless they are

when you have plastics saying a certain player made a high percentage of forward passes
    so what
    how many times do we see a player pass to one player 5 yards away and then they pass it back
    the ball doesng go forward long term but its a statistic that people use to try and prove how good a player is

so are they saying woody is worth more than elliott

because those that go to games can see he isnt

as im sure those armchairs would see that certain statistics dont mean pheck all if they actuall went and watched a game

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I get the point he's trying to make, I think... isn't he just using that second set of stats to show how ridiculous all any stats can be because those valuations are ridiculous?

Sort of makes sense in the context of his argument?

precisly
    im using their figures
    we all us match going fans can see elliott is worth more than woody

in my mind both are drastically under valued anyway from that report
    so statistics from google etc are worthless

if an armchair tried telling me woody was mre valuable than elliot because that report said so we would all laugh
    just as passing statistics are

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Well he, Pboro, recently quoted a statistic which ever way you take it is a load of bollox, a down right lie or a stupid ignorant maths blunder.

He says Rafa has had the players for two whole seasons. Well he has had the players who have been here from when he first started for 8 Prem games two seasons ago, one whole Fizzy season and 11 games in the Prem this season. So that is only a half a season of Prem games in total. In other words a 50% error in statistics quoted. No wonder moaners say statistics lie.
    he has had the majority of players for two seasons and certainly 2 pre seasons
    and they all bar lascelles are going backwards

but i dont need statistics to tell me that
    i actauallay witness it

Woody will have a relativley high valuation because of his age i.e. the potential he has to improve. There are other factors that affect price including nationality and in his case, winning the world cup for his gae group and his performances in that tournament.

he has had the majority of players for two seasons and certainly 2 pre seasons
    and they all bar lascelles are going backwards

but i dont need statistics to tell me that
    i actauallay witness it
    Elliot, Yedlin, Lejeune, Clark, Manquillo, Lascelles, Shelvey, Ritchie, Atsu and Hayden. IMO none are going backwards, quite the opposite I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Elliot, Yedlin, Lejeune, Clark, Manquillo, Lascelles, Shelvey, Ritchie, Atsu and Hayden. IMO none are going backwards, quite the opposite I would say.
    He has had not one single one of them for more than one and a half seasons and that is a mathematical and historical fact.

If he had had them for two seasons as Pboro mistakenly claims them Rafa would have been at the club in November 2015. And when was he appointed Pboro. I'll tell you 11 March 2016. Simple arithmetic isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Woody will have a relativley high valuation because of his age i.e. the potential he has to improve. There are other factors that affect price including nationality and in his case, winning the world cup for his gae group and his performances in that tournament.
    Of course he has. He's got International possibilities as well as 500 more games in his locker compared to Elliot.

It's like comparing a budding ****age Gazza or Pedro to a 27 year old Joselu. Because of his experience Pboro would obviously go with Joselu.

Any astute businessman would look at the future potential rather than current situation.

...although comparing Elliot to Woodman and using a Joselu/Beardsley or Gazza comparison is harsh on Elliot, like.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)