+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Question: Who's Derby's Worst Ever Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    The manager that has to break or rebuild from a great side tends to be hugely unpopular and under pressure from the get go.
    Which is why Dave Mackay will never get on this list. No-one could have been more unpopular or under greater pressure when he took the job, and he took the decision to remodel not rebuild (possibly because he knew the true colours of many of the players having captained them), and took us to glory again. Docherty had the same resources but lacked the patience

A few years ago I would have said Phil Brown, but with hindsight I think I was really harsh on the guy considering what he was working under.

In my lifetime, Paul Jewell, he wrote off over half a season, and was too poor to do anything the next. Really bad and knocked 5 years out of the club.

Miniature Man took us up a division, for all his faults, that was some achievement, and the only success we've had this century.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Which is why Dave Mackay will never get on this list. No-one could have been more unpopular or under greater pressure when he took the job, and he took the decision to remodel not rebuild (possibly because he knew the true colours of many of the players having captained them), and took us to glory again. Docherty had the same resources but lacked the patience
    Very true. Mackay obviously had the advantage of knowing his players. Maybe that's the lesson here, when you replace a highly successful manager, it's better to go for a known quantity.

Mackay and Frank Clark succeeded Clough. I could go Paisley and Dalgish at Liverpool too. Then you have Moyes at Man Utd.
    Of course with money, you can still succeed as Ancelotti and Conte have shown at Chelsea. Arsenal have to be very careful with Wenger's eventual successor.

I forgot- Clough also admitted the same error at Leeds. Too much, too fast and too soon. Luckily for Forest he did.

Stupid phone and stupid editing format in here....

Docherty - Most definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Before my time, why did Mackay leave? He made sure we weren't a one off fluke (ala Leicester, Blackburn etc), and doesn't get nearly enough credit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    A few years ago I would have said Phil Brown, but with hindsight I think I was really harsh on the guy considering what he was working under.

In my lifetime, Paul Jewell, he wrote off over half a season, and was too poor to do anything the next. Really bad and knocked 5 years out of the club.

Miniature Man took us up a division, for all his faults, that was some achievement, and the only success we've had this century.
    When I met Paul Jewell he said 'we just aren't good enough mate I've got more points on my license!'

Crap manager decent humour

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Before my time, why did Mackay leave? He made sure we weren't a one off fluke (ala Leicester, Blackburn etc), and doesn't get nearly enough credit IMO.
    After probably the greatest footballing season I can remember 1975/76, we had an awful start to the 76/77 season and when struggling towards the foot of the table, Mackay demanded a vote of confidence from the board, which he didn't get. I think they thought that Clough and Taylor would come back. The board whilst overseeing our most successful period also made some foolish decisions.

just a month or so after sticking 8 on Spurs too.....

Docherty for deffo but saying that I think he came in to do a job, line his pockets, get rid of every player he could get decent cash for the club and job done! Also I thought Mackays team was the most entertaining team Derby ever had!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)