+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - What Song (s) You Listening To Today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m still trying to forget...the Bay City Rollers...like Roger’s earlier video, more proof that there is some staggeringly bad music.

I know the history with them supposedly being 'the new Beatles.' But that aside, it's just this 1 song. Now many people have done a remake of this Springfield classic, I think Eurythymics and Samantha 'Page 3' Fox even!. However I like the beat with the Bay City Rollers, a faster version very much 1970s style. But yeah I always have a favourite song at any 1 point of time and at the moment, it's this 1. (I'll come up with my list in later posts)

And here for everyone's pleasure is The Bay City Rollers

Song of the day - my favourite - I Only Want To Be With You - Bay City Rollers

Others:

1. Xanadu - Olivia Newton John, bloody hell she was damn beautiful then.
    2. I Think I Love - Partridge Family
    3. And since it's Sunday, "Beautiful Sunday - Daniel Boone. This song is very popular among karaoke enthusiasts out in the East.

This is where I differ rA, if people like any music it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    This is where I differ rA, if people like any music it is good.
    Totally agree as someone who lives and breathes music. I get so frusutrated in the musical genre my part-time profession is in that there are so many narrow minded people who actively hate music (and those ho like it) not inside their narrow band of likes. Of course there's stuff that doesn't move me, but there's no good and bad, there's stuff you like and stuff you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Totally agree as someone who lives and breathes music. I get so frusutrated in the musical genre my part-time profession is in that there are so many narrow minded people who actively hate music (and those ho like it) not inside their narrow band of likes. Of course there's stuff that doesn't move me, but there's no good and bad, there's stuff you like and stuff you don't.
    And currently listening to/watching a Youtube vid 'Mardy' by Eyez, VX & LJ, local lads doing their thing, Eyez has been very supportive of my daughter's musical efforts and he and the other fellahs who support her are welcome round ours any time

I fully accept that it’s largely a matter of taste and that my taste prohibits any liking for the Bay City Rollers, the Wombles, St Winifred’s School Choir, Peters and Lee, Status Quo etc, but to say there’s no ‘good and bad’ is surely nonsense. There is good and bad everything...literature, poetry, art, theatre, television, journalism, football...why should music be different? I don’t for one moment believe that my taste defines it, but there is good, bad, better and worse in music just as there is with everything else.

Rom...I think the Annie Lennox cover was by the Tourists before the Eurythmics were formed and quite excellent it was too...imo.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 12-11-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I fully accept that it’s largely a matter of taste and that my taste prohibits any liking for the Bay City Rollers, the Wombles, St Winifred’s School Choir, Peters and Lee, Status Quo etc, but to say there’s no ‘good and bad’ is surely nonsense. There is good and bad everything...literature, poetry, art, theatre, television, journalism, football...why should music be different? I don’t for one moment believe that my taste defines it, but there is good, bad, better and worse in music just as there is with everything else.

Rom...I think the Annie Lennox cover was by the Tourists before the Eurythmics were formed and quite excellent it was too...imo.
    IMO 'Art' is different RA. A five year old making his/her first attempts on a violin, whilst the pride of his parents (I've been there) is clearly making music only within the parameters of age and familiarity with the instrument, a music critic would benevolently qualify their criticism on that basis. However, any 'art' made by an adult which could just as easily be made by accident by a five year old is NOT art, its a con, perpetuated by 'art critics' who again IMO are full of sh*t and don't know their a*ses from their e*bows.

I repeat, just IMO

Very acceptable Rom!! Certainly more uplifting than the current song buzzing round my head!! Been taking in some Stones this am and 'Paint it Black' seems to be stuck there!!

ramAnag how can good and bad anything be nonsense. Its just a personal opinion what is good to one person will be bad to someone else Its impossible to define what is good music and what is bad

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    ramAnag how can good and bad anything be nonsense. Its just a personal opinion what is good to one person will be bad to someone else Its impossible to define what is good music and what is bad
    It’s largely subjective I accept mista...but there has to be some notion of good and bad. I’ve no idea how musically accomplished you are but I’ve never written a song in my life and can’t play an instrument. If I was to do either now it wouldn’t be as ‘good’ as that produced by an accomplished musician, in fact it would be ‘bad’. I think it’s probably fair to extend that to say that the likes of Dylan, Petty, Bowie, Springs**** and the Stones - not just because I happen to like them all - are ‘better’ than The Bay City Rollers, the *** Pistols or Susan Boyle. You wouldn’t be afraid to say that Mark Wright was a better footballer than Claude Davis or Charles Dickens a better writer than Jackie Collins. Ultimately that too all comes down to opinion, but if you accept the concepts of ‘better’ and ‘worse’ you, by extension, have to accept that there’s ‘good’ and ‘bad’...so why the reservation about music? Maybe when I say ‘good’ I mean moving and meaningful and when I say ‘bad’ I mean meaningless and vacuous but then that too is ultimately subjective so who knows?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 12-11-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)