+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - What Song (s) You Listening To Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Currently listening to Stretch - 'Why did You Do It?'. Now there's a story....
    We're waiting, patiently Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    No, not another of my Bullsh*t Bob 'I was almost there' rambles, you'll have to research this one but it has something to do with Fleetwood Mac

God he’s such a tease...
    Last edited by ramAnag; 08-11-2017 at 12:36 PM.

...gerronwivit Faber!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 08-11-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    ...gerronwivit Faber!
    Short version

1974 time, Fleetwood Mac were in disarray after the firing of the whole band by their manager Clive Davies. Mick Fleetwood had bills to pay, so decided to reform FM around himself and Christine McVie. He enlisted Elmer Gantry (vocals, ex Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera, check THEM out when you have a mo) and Kirby Gregory (geetar, ex Curved Air) to join the band. Dates were booked throughout the US both headlining and supporting Deep Purple. Problem was, Christine McVie refused to join, Mick Fleetwood lost his bottle and Gantry and Gregory were left to soldier on as Fleetwood Mac with whatever musicians they could drag in. Word got out that it wasn't 'the real' Fleetwood Mac, venues cancelled, those that didn't suffered riots, law suits flew in all directions and Gantry and Gregory flew home to UK with their tails between their legs. They liked playing together though, so formed STRETCH, a blues band similar to Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac, recorded a blues album 'Elastique' which contained one non-blues cut, the hyper-funky 'Why Did You do It', written by the pair as a dig at Fleetwood and Davis. Against the odds, WDYDI became a big hit, and over the years (mainly through a lot of reworkings/samplings of the song in dance/disco/funk genres) has I guess provided a nice little revenue stream for the pair as a softener for the embarrassment of the Fleetwood Mac Debacle.

Huh, I could have told you that if I hadn't been in a meeting. A chance for the 3rd case of beer gone. Fleetwood Mac never recovered in my view and in recruiting Buckingham Nicks a bit later became a travesty of a band, producing a string of bland MOR crap that sold in millions and made them a fortune. Pah.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Huh, I could have told you that if I hadn't been in a meeting. A chance for the 3rd case of beer gone. Fleetwood Mac never recovered in my view and in recruiting Buckingham Nicks a bit later became a travesty of a band, producing a string of bland MOR crap that sold in millions and made them a fortune. Pah.
    They were two different bands, that's for sure. Without resorting to the net, what was unusual about Fleetwood Mac's first lineup?

Probably quite a few things! Perhaps the fact that "Mac" wasnt in the first line up despite the band bearing his name? Perhaps because they were not called Fleetwood Mac but had "Peter Green's....." added to the front of the name?

Its maybe a good thing that when the residue of the real Fleetwood Mac merged with Buckingham Nicks, they did not take on the enjoined name of Stevie Mac, otherwise they would have had one good album then broken up in disarray with talks of Nicks joining Dire Straits. Then reformed a year or so later for another cameo album that flopped despite a good first track, and broke up again.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Probably quite a few things! Perhaps the fact that "Mac" wasnt in the first line up despite the band bearing his name? Perhaps because they were not called Fleetwood Mac but had "Peter Green's....." added to the front of the name?

Its maybe a good thing that when the residue of the real Fleetwood Mac merged with Buckingham Nicks, they did not take on the enjoined name of Stevie Mac, otherwise they would have had one good album then broken up in disarray with talks of Nicks joining Dire Straits. Then reformed a year or so later for another cameo album that flopped despite a good first track, and broke up again.
    Correct about the McVie thing, first bassist was Bob Brunning because Mcvie wanted to stay in his current gig. Nice Schteve analogy.
    Right, I'm out of this thread for a few hours, can't help feeling I'm turning into DerbyDaDream

Dream on Andy.

Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)