+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast

Thread: OT - What Song (s) You Listening To Today?

Gosh I haven't heard this song in over 20 years until I heard on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmbjyiOr04

Was listening to songs, Cause, Sugar Man and Crucify your mind by Rodriguez.
    Has anyone seen the documentary Searching for Sugar Man (2012) if not it's really worth
    watching. Never heard of Rodriguez before this but the documentary is brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Was listening to songs, Cause, Sugar Man and Crucify your mind by Rodriguez.
    Has anyone seen the documentary Searching for Sugar Man (2012) if not it's really worth
    watching. Never heard of Rodriguez before this but the documentary is brilliant!
    I was listening to Crucify Your Mind the other day after it came up on my random youtube feed. I'd sooner listen to him than Bob Dylan, didn't know there was film about him though, I'll check it out

Only one song to listen to yesterday...’I say a little prayer for you’.

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Only one song to listen to yesterday...’I say a little prayer for you’.
    Great song but please delve deeper, if anyone has a decent back catalogue in many genres it’s the other AF. Check out the live at Fillmore West album, not just for Aretha but for the best pick-up band ever

The Fat Boy Slim song Rockafeller Skank. I have always known that he "sampled" the guitar riff from the 1972 release of Sliced Tomatoes by Just Brothers (no "the" in front of their name).

I read today that he actually got no royalties from the song whatsoever. It appears that there are samples of 3 other songs/tunes in there as well. When he was negotiating with the authors of the original works, they all asked for 40% or 50% of the royalties. He explained that as there were 4 external parties involved, getting on for 200% wasn't on. They each agreed to settle for 25%. He got nowt.

Can anybody tell me what the other 3 songs "sampled" in Skank please?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The Fat Boy Slim song Rockafeller Skank. I have always known that he "sampled" the guitar riff from the 1972 release of Sliced Tomatoes by Just Brothers (no "the" in front of their name).

I read today that he actually got no royalties from the song whatsoever. It appears that there are samples of 3 other songs/tunes in there as well. When he was negotiating with the authors of the original works, they all asked for 40% or 50% of the royalties. He explained that as there were 4 external parties involved, getting on for 200% wasn't on. They each agreed to settle for 25%. He got nowt.

House of the Rising Sun, Kyrie Eleison and SISQO's Thong Song

Thanks Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

Without referring to Wikipedia I can think of 3ish, but I think there were 5

The recurring mantra is a sample of a Lord Finesse vocal but I can't recall the act he recorded it with

There's definitely some 'I Fought The Law' and 'Peter Gunn' in there, and John Barry gets a co-credit but no idea what the song was

The Verve had the same problem, but more so, with Bitter Sweet Symphonony. I'm not even going to try to explain the twists and turns that one took, but despite there being not one single note written by them in the song, it gets a Jagger/Richards writing credit...

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)