+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - What Song (s) You Listening To Today?

Currently listening to

Bill Haley Jr - Rock Around The Clock

Yes that Bill Haley, recorded last night in Reading on my trusty Tascam DR01 located in my shirt pocket. Damned fine sound.

Assembling IKEA furniture and listening to Radio 6 this morning there was lots from the Fall following the death of Mark E Smith.
    Surprised there’s no O/T obituary from Roger ‘the Reaper’ Ramjet...didn’t really ‘get’ the Fall or Mr. Smith but each to their own...John Peel approved apparently and he knew a thing or two.

Just sent a demo tape in to a soon to start up radio station. Motown, Soul, Northern, R&B.......... the full gamut of the music I play. Hope to get the gig

Apollas You're absolutely right
    Raelettes One room paradise
    Willie Hutch Do what you wanna do
    Voices of East Harlem Cashing in
    Jackie Wilson Because of you
    Timi Yuro It'll never be over for me
    Marvin Gaye I heard it through the grapevine
    McNair Barbara You're gonna love my baby
    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas Nowhere to run
    Elgins Heaven must have sent you
    Jackie Wilson I get the sweetest feeling
    Edwin Starr Agent Double O Soul
    Drifters Baby what I mean
    Floyd Eddie Knock on wood
    Redding Otis Hard to handle
    Sam & Dave* I Thank You
    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas Jimmy Mack
    Difosco Sunshine Love
    Marvin Gaye This love starved heart of mine
    Impressions You've been cheatin'
    Incredibles There's nothin' else to say
    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas Third finger left hand
    World's Funkiest Band When you're alone
    Ingram Luther Exus Trek
    107th Street Stickball Team On Old Broadway
    Bob Kuban The Cheater
    Mitch Ryder You get your kicks
    Little Richard A little bit of something
    Don Varner Tear stained face
    Eddie Parker I'm gone
    Taylor Johnnie Who's making love
    Porter N F Keep on keepin' on
    Coco Rouzier Reachin' out
    Precisions If this is love (I would rather be lonely)
    Marvelettes My baby must be a magician
    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas One way out
    Melba Moore Magic Touch
    Lee Laura To win your heart
    Doby Gray Out on the floor
    Martha Reeves and the Vandellas Show me the way

Let me know the name and freqiency of the radio station and I will make sure I avoid it 🙃🙃

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Let me know the name and freqiency of the radio station and I will make sure I avoid it ����
    Anything to oblige Rog although I have a sneaky feeling you will have a listen, if only once, to hear what the DJ sounds like as opposed to listening to the music which, it appears, is quite a way off being your favourite genre.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Anything to oblige Rog although I have a sneaky feeling you will have a listen, if only once, to hear what the DJ sounds like as opposed to listening to the music which, it appears, is quite a way off being your favourite genre.
    Mind kinda music there MA, my fave probably that profound cut by Johnnie Taylor, but there’s a great mix of the obvious and the obscure including a couple I’m not familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Mind kinda music there MA, my fave probably that profound cut by Johnnie Taylor, but there’s a great mix of the obvious and the obscure including a couple I’m not familiar with.
    Stories to be told as well. Obviously the Vandellas is a story I can tell.... playing alongside them. Difosco as detailed elsewhere in this thread. Edwin Starr, How he got to be part of the Motown group having turned down several offers from Berry Gordy to ditch Ric Tic and join Motown telling BG that he was under contract and din't believe in breaking them..... so Gordy went otu and bought Ric Tic, solely to get his hands on Starr. How Starr moved to hte Notts area.....

etc etc etc.

The unkowns?
    I will take a stab at 107th Street Stickball Team On Old Broadway - this has a few bits in it sampled from the Drifters On Broadway. It is a current favouite of Nancy Yahiro who plays it out a lot at gigs in Japan.

Coco Rouzier Reachin' out - sampled form an old Joytones track. Coco's track is currently being hammered by my mate Scoey from Stoke on his radio show

Willie Hutch Do what you wanna do - currently being given a lot of gig time by Gene Merideth, a US DJ friend with whom I buy, sell and swap records from time to time. There is currently a copy of Difosco up for auction, 5 bids so far and standing at $26. A second one wants an opening bid of $107.... no bids yet. I know of two set sales of £100 and £120 in the past 3 weeks. Interesting to see where these two will end. UK buyers will have to pay postage and VAT on both the 45 and the postage which will up the total cost. I have a workaround

107th Street Stickball Team

Coco Rouzier
    yes those two. My musical tastes are wide but amongst them no-one tells a story in a song like the soul crowd

Currently soaking up:

Maniacal 4 - 'Carry On Wayward Son'

A bunch of clever dicky classical music wallahs deconstruct a prog rock classic (originally by Kansas) in their student pad (it looks like) and IMO absolutely nail it. Couldn't suffer a gigs worth of this but as a single song its immense. Have I blarted on about this one before?
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 26-01-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    yes those two. My musical tastes are wide but amongst them no-one tells a story in a song like the soul crowd

Currently soaking up:

Maniacal 4 - 'Carry On Wayward Son'

A bunch of clever dicky classical music wallahs deconstruct a prog rock classic (originally by Kansas) in their student pad (it looks like) and IMO absolutely nail it. Couldn't suffer a gigs worth of this but as a single song its immense. Have I blarted on about this one before?
    As a DJ and "social dancer" my preferred choice is soul music. The four four beat of the old classics is perfect for dancing to. That doesn't mean I limit myself to that genre. I wrote in an earlier post in this thread a list of some of the bands/singers I have seen down the years and noone could call ZZ Top a soul band

There was one concert I didn't mention before and that was Stevie Wonder in Coventry. The only time I have left a concert unable to hold back the tears. Steviee put on a great show with 3 encores. The crowd still wanted more. The gig had been so intense that nobody wanted it to end. Stevie came back a 4th time, shuffled to the edge of the stage and thanked the audience for having been a part of what he too had found to be a moving experience. He was of the opinion that he had done the concert with the crowd rather than for them..... that was emotional enough for many to reach for their hankies. He then said that he was now both physically and mentally drained and he had just one more thing to give.............. he removed his dark glasses and threw them into the crowd....... not a dry eye in the hall. Exit Stevie stage left........ saying "you've been the best audience ever, thank you and good night!"

I defy any singe/band to generate that amount of raw emotion. Spine tingling and hairs on my neck overend just at the memory.........

As a DJ and "social dancer" my preferred choice is soul music. The four four beat of the old classics is perfect for dancing to. That doesn't mean I limit myself to that genre. I wrote in an earlier post in this thread a list of some of the bands/singers I have seen down the years and noone could call ZZ Top a soul band

There was one concert I didn't mention before and that was Stevie Wonder in Coventry. The only time I have left a concert unable to hold back the tears. Steviee put on a great show with 3 encores. The crowd still wanted more. The gig had been so intense that nobody wanted it to end. Stevie came back a 4th time, shuffled to the edge of the stage and thanked the audience for having been a part of what he too had found to be a moving experience. He was of the opinion that he had done the concert with the crowd rather than for them..... that was emotional enough for many to reach for their hankies. He then said that he was now both physically and mentally drained and he had just one more thing to give.............. he removed his dark glasses and threw them into the crowd....... not a dry eye in the hall. Exit Stevie stage left........ saying "you've been the best audience ever, thank you and good night!"

I defy any singe/band to generate that amount of raw emotion. Spine tingling and hairs on my neck overend just at the memory.........
    Sounds wonderful

Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)