+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - What Song (s) You Listening To Today?

Top 3

1. Bye Bye Love - Everly Brothers

2. Runaround Sue - Dion

3. Sam Cooke - Twisting the Night Away

Just been doing some Breezin' with George Benson, wonderful musician.

Also listened to the 2 versions of You Can't Hurry Love by The Supremes and Phi Collins. I like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Also listened to the 2 versions of You Can't Hurry Love by The Supremes and Phi Collins. I like both.
    Collins is the latest in a long line of musicians I've thought considerably less of after reading their autobiogs. Others: Lemmy, Neil Peart

Just listened to Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 25. Off the Jackie Brown soundtrack album. Sh*t Hot film, Sh*t Hot soundtrack, and Pam Grere, no comment necessary other than fantastic acting

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Collins is the latest in a long line of musicians I've thought considerably less of after reading their autobiogs. Others: Lemmy, Neil Peart

Just listened to Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 25. Off the Jackie Brown soundtrack album. Sh*t Hot film, Sh*t Hot soundtrack, and Pam Grere, no comment necessary other than fantastic acting
    That, along with their "Stomp" are in my collection. I also like their version of I can't turn you loose but prefer the Otis Redding version which I have on the Atco US pressing AND a limited edition Italian pressing that never went on general sale but was intended for juke boxes in Italy and is quite rare and worth rather more than the 6 quid I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber;[B
    38827498]Collins is the latest in a long line of musicians I've thought considerably less of after reading their autobiogs. [/B] Others: Lemmy, Neil Peart

I never had and doubt I ever will have any such situation. Because I basically ignore everything musicians do outside music, even what they do at concerts or any related stuff. I don't concern myself with their personality, character, opinions, ok maybe sometimes.
    The only thing that interests me is their songs.
    I'll give you 1 example - Rolf Harris. So we've found out he's a *****phile - something I consider absolutely abominable. Do I think he deserves punishment? Absolutely, probably deserves even more jail time, maybe he should die in jail even.
    But would it stop me from listening to his songs, especially Down Kangaroo Downsport and Waltzing Matilda, which I like considerably. The simple answer is No.

The music is separate from the person's character and actions. The former I will continue to like, even if I find the latter disgusting.
    So yeah I only am interested in music/songs basically.

I never had and doubt I ever will have any such situation. Because I basically ignore everything musicians do outside music, even what they do at concerts or any related stuff. I don't concern myself with their personality, character, opinions, ok maybe sometimes.
    I'll give you 1 example - Rolf Harris. So we've found out he's a *****phile - something I consider absolutely abominable. Do I think he deserves punishment? Absolutely, probably deserves even more jail time, maybe he should die in jail even.
    But would it stop me from listening to his songs, especially Down Kangaroo Downsport and Waltzing Matilda, which I like considerably. The simple answer is No.

The music is separate from the person's character and actions. The former I will continue to like, even if I find the latter disgusting.
    Bet you’ve got a treasured video of Jimmy Savile introducing Gary Glitter on TOTP somewhere in your collection Rom.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Bet you’ve got a treasured video of Jimmy Savile introducing Gary Glitter on TOTP somewhere in your collection Rom.
    Oh No. Never really liked Saville, he was a DJ not really a singer (unless I'm mistaken), As for Glitter also didn't really like his songs. It just didn't hit on me at the time and since.
    However I sued to like listening to DLT when he was presenting TOTP. Of course we've found out he's in the Saville gang. But again he's not a singer, and as such in all 3 cases I obviously now have nothing but distaste for them. They should rot in hell.

Ok here's a little request for all of you. Gibe me 3 songs from the 50s through 80s. It can be all from 1 period, eg 60s or a mix 2 or more decades.
    3 songs you really like and recommend me listen.
    And no Roger, not 3 songs from song unknown singer or country that you googled. Just 3 songs you truly like and recommend.

Much obliged.

They say 'never meet your heroes', my experience of that has been mixed (Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy - pure class in behaviour and dress sense, and a sliding scale from there downwards via Ozzy Osbourne (deranged, looking on the verge of death and this was in the late 70s!) through Sonja Christina (discussed before, and away with fairies at the time) and down to one iconic singer who I met in The Assembly rooms in the early 80s and who I would not leave any female or child alone with for more than 30 seconds). But all that's my stupid fault for lurking on the edges of 'the biz' for 3/4 of my life. I read about music nearly as much as I listen, and as with the personal experiences, what lies within the covers has an impact - sometimes positive (Rudy Sarzo, Gary Kemp), more often negative (see above) - but I don't think anything has ever put me off listening to great music

So,

Currently listening to:

King Curtis - 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale'

This piece of music famously underpins the opening scene of the famous 'cult' movie, 'Withnail And I', although I'm listening to it off the source CD, King Curtis Live At Fillmore West.

If you are as sad as me and listen to 'directors/contributors commentaries' of films, you'll know that Paul McGann (the 'I' in the film) observes that King Curtis was murdered on the night of the recording, shot in the face in the car park of the venue. I've seen that repeated many times over the years. Total B*ll*x. He was stabbed to death by a drug dealer outside his apartment a couple of years later, and was buried withing parping distance of Count Basie and John Coltrane.

Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)