+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observations on The Pigsty tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsbitter View Post
    Wasn't the first cantilever stand even though they pretended it was.Even back then they were deluded liars

I beieve that honour went to the Old Showground at S****horpe...(1958)

They made a huge fuss about it at the time, and certainly it was regarded as the Wembley of the North as Mahatma says. I went to quite a few semi-finals there, always on the Kop - you could always queue up to get tickets and the standing capacity made it to 65,000, one of the biggest in the country. I remember once going round to the back of the queue 4 times at the Leppings Lane end and ending up with 4 tickets, think that might have been Spiurs beating Man U in 1962. It cost the magificent sum of £150,000 and I remember the father of one of my schoolmates coughed up £150 for a debenture to pay for it. That must have been a very considerable sum of money in the late 50s when they started financing it. Haven't been there for 20 years when I went with my son to watch Newcastle United win 1-0, and I remember thinking then it was looking a bit 'tired.'

Quote Originally Posted by RiverTyneBlade View Post
    It cost the magificent sum of £150,000 and I remember the father of one of my schoolmates coughed up £150 for a debenture to pay for it.'
    Quite a few of the deluded sites claim the North stand is a grade 2 listed building but I can't find it in any of the official lists of listed buildings in Sheffield.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverTyneBlade View Post
    Quite a few of the deluded sites claim the North stand is a grade 2 listed building but I can't find it in any of the official lists of listed buildings in Sheffield.

Its more No.2 than grade 2 these days. It was impressive in its day, but now its tired and ready for replacement. Hopefully not before the disgraceful, shameful aberration next to it, which should have been knocked down and replaced in 1989...

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Its more No.2 than grade 2 these days. It was impressive in its day, but now its tired and ready for replacement. Hopefully not before the disgraceful, shameful aberration next to it, which should have been knocked down and replaced in 1989...
    Spot on FKB.

Nothing to do with inter club rivalry but it's a national disgrace that it still stands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12