+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If's,but's and maybe's Direction wise .......

If's,but's and maybe's Direction wise .......

Okay folks, January nitty gritty ££££'s talk - those thinking £20million from Taylor & Wood is still available are not realistic for starters as £20 million (if received in lump sum) is only actually £11million due to the season losses prior of £9 million.
    (Won't mention ER buy back via loose change found at back of Andreas Milan sofa).
    Further spending on new players & existing contracts etc - Pontus,Lewie Coyle,Stuart Dallas,Ronaldo Vieira, Gaetano Berardi, Tyler Denton, Kalvin Phillips, Eunan O’Kane and captain Liam Cooper all putting pen to paper over recent weeks.Wieldwald £500,000, Ekuban £500,000,Klich £1.5 million reported fee,then Alioski,Saiz reported to be £3 million then the Lasogga negotiated loan fee and his wages balance to pick up....... so what'll be left for January ?
    Maybe Raddizzani will open his own wallet or maybe he'll attract new commercial Asia sponsors by buying a player using the Asia yen............... 🤔
    His stated five year plan was actually secretly hoped to be done in three he's admitted and he was banking 'heavily' on future football continued media growth,stating ...............
    “Because of the digitisation, I think what we could see in the next few years is a huge change in the consumption of media. It’s started already. Try to imagine if all the Premier League games were now available, easily accessed by match or by season or by team via Amazon or Netflix. The audience could be much bigger. The single price per client could be lower; the total amount would still be bigger.

“Netflix has 105 million clients worldwide, Amazon is huge as well. If we look at Sky, the clientele and subscription, I think you see the consumer is tired of paying for a bundle. To pay £70 for 200 channels when maybe they just want to watch sports or football, and maybe some movies or TV series. That has been shown clearly on the entertainment side because Netflix has broken the market on pay-TV with entertainment. Can this happen with sport? I think so.”

Mmm - My view is as long as clubs revenues keep growing those mega 'big transfers' are likely to persist. Tv broadcasting money has now become in the internet era the weakest link. The British tv audiences for 'live' games have dipped and many fans now opt for illegal streaming sites or just view free highlights found everywhere. So PSG signing a sponsorship magnet like Neymar is in reality a hedge against volatility in 'that' market and will bring in massive revenues regardless of Tv broadcasting money.

This season around 100 million Chinese viewers tune into the biggest games.Scum are the most popular team on Chinese social media (despite qualifying for the Champions League only twice in the past four seasons) and the amount of shirts sold with mega signing names on brings in a fair whack too.So big signings make sense and if Neymar unlocks new markets as well as defences then PSG may have backed a winner which ultimately makes abiding FFP rules a total joke !

Cannot read the Radrizzani hand at the 'mo as signings of youthful potential and the rewarding of long contracts suggests finance injections are on the horizon but at what time sun rise will be is another question as he has suggested that the Brighton way was a sensible act to follow in reaching the Premier League admitting Championship clubs lose money but Premier League clubs make money and that is his goal.Interesting to see what he does Management/team wise and budget wise in the Jan window taking on board my recent posts on FFP rules ................

I've also noted the longer contracts given of late for stability appear to have unsteadied our boat as prior our boat was only rocked by Big time Charlies and I note Mr Klich has been tweeting this week his 'agreement' of fans observations that TC must stop picking players out of form as he's obviously miffed at not been played despite a hefty fee and long contract.

MOT

The key here is what channels are likely to be available, and to whom?

Almost all of Mrs Os post relates to the dealings that are done by media outlets and the Premiership and/or their counterparts around the globe. It's hardly surprising that with such riches on offer, there are "keen aspirations" if not downright unbridled greed playing a part in what teams in lower divisions are prepared to do to gain access to what is a pretty exclusive club.

What is, perhaps, of interest and potentially "lessons learned" (for Leeds and other teams who don't have billionaire owners) is how clubs who have no particular pedigree in the PL (or its predecessor 1st Division), have managed both to gain promotion, and to (for now) survive at least to the extent that even when relegated back to the Championship, they have been either automatic promotion materials, or maintain a position in the playoffs that they have then exploited to get back to the land of milk and honey. I wouldn't suggest that yo-yo-ing is my preference, but perhaps its a way for a club with limited funds (no criticism of Radrizzani at all, just reflecting his relative wealth), to build a head of steam that gets us where the owner wants to be (maybe thats his 5 year plan?)

........ 'Where the owner wants to be ........ " WTF11

Good reply - but .....
    What can the owner do about expensive players 'creating' pressures on clubs by the way Klich has done as obviously Pontus was taken aside over 'media rants' he made before Sheff Wed and to be honest has not been the same player or persona again as players today rely on image rights payments to sweeten their milk & honey.

If it was easy, anyone could do it.........

Agree that managing players is a challenge, but so is delivering a whole host of other "projects", perhaps not quite as much in the eye of the media, but in many cases using far more resources, over vast geographical divides, and spanning years. My point being, it's the art of the possible, not a black art as some would suggest.

Some clubs have achieved (and maintained) substantial improvements in performance by combining suitable investment, astute management (both on and off the pitch) within the context of an owning presence that is supportive without being too "hands on". They have players who have been "managed" (again, both on and off the pitch) so as to create team structure and cohesiveness that we have failed to accomplish over many seasons and under a number of ownerships, going back BEFORE Bates.

The lessons of failure in the past are not hard to come by (either at Leeds or other clubs), what would be interesting is to see an owner who understands them, and departs from previous failed strategies in order to learn from those lessons. Contrary to what some would assert, I don't know the answers, I'm not that smart, but I do know that repeating the same (or very similar) behaviour and expecting a different result is tantamount to insanity.

As I said earlier, others have done it (and continue to do it). We could, of that I'm sure. Question is, will Raddrizani be able to identify the steps required (which may in the short term be unpopular or contrary to to the wishes of vested interests), and have the courage to take them in order to realise his vision for the club?

I'll address the media issue that Mrs O raised as a yank from accross the pond.

we are almost impossible to see live over here. LUTV works 25-50% of the time. Leeds agressively hunts/tracks down any streams so they are often cut off halfway through the game. Sky and BBC block games, highlights and interviews here. Finally, the only way you can get to the betting sites is to have an account. This, of course, is a no-no in the "land of the free and home of the brave" since on line gambling is banned and if you want to have an account you must have a non US bank account. If you have an offshore bank account you'll be called in to the IRS office and you'll have some slack jawed, no forehead mouth breathing cretin that makes a 100k a year and has lifetime pension and healtchare question you annually on why you need an offshore acco****.

Contrast that to scumchester which is on the tube every weekend and every game is on the local pubs here in Indiana.

I think our owners up until AR have been incredibly short sighted on the media coverage game.

Probably get head in hands again here, but the media exposure we (Leeds) would get from a completely open-doors policy making LUTV streams available for free to all comers would be small beer unless and until we are in the PL at which point their (LUTVs) coverage becomes just about redundant as Sky and others would be using their rights options to both limit AND broaden exposure dependent upon their commercial interests and priorities. Nevertheless, the owner will want some of the riches the PL has to offer, so it comes back to the "what needs to happen" and "will what has to happen, happen" questions. After all we will have the same media/revenue issues to deal with as the rest of the PL if we were there, but with a global fan base that most of the PL can only dream of

Bringing stability to the club is the first basic necessity, the rest follows and we are on course with that.

We've stopped hiring/firing on a whim:
    OK still early days but TC would have been gone weeks ago, we are slowly becoming a more attractive club to manage/be involved with

We have our ground back:
    Brighton were in the wilderness, West Ham are now the new Coventry, NO club gets anywhere without its own home.

We have a normal chairman
    Albeit still relatively short time, we no longer have a chairman making all the headlines with tax evasion stuff.
    The likes of Blackpool, Blackburn, West Ham, Orient, Coventry City, York, Doncaster, Portsmouth and more have and some still still suffer at the way the club is run.

We are putting in not dismantling football structures
    Whether they work well at moment...they will eventually

These are the basics, well run normal clubs. Burnley (grrr) and Huddersfield are showing what can be done. If Leeds could get promoted we would have twice their crowds and even more global TV watchability...

Good post WS

agreed, spot on, now....if we could just win a game!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)